Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 07:11 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Absolutely, because flipping someone the bird warrants the death penalty.
You beat me to it. This board is so strange some times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 07:18 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I guess the stabber Juan really taught his victim a lesson in respect. I wonder how many times he will be "disrespected" in prison when he is sent there for murder.

Who knows what lead up to the flipping of the bird? What if the victim was just driving along being tailgated by Juan the aggressive driver and then he speeds past him and cuts him off? Then the victim turns the corner and sees Juan in a fender bender. I would chock that up to Karma and think it was funny if that happened to me. I might laugh but I wouldn't flip off someone.

Have fun in prison Juan.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:23 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Nah, here no one would have been stabbed. There would have been an exchange of gunfire with multiple victims, including likely the child of some random, uninvolved passerby.
That is exactly why I ignore the maniacs on the road. They can flip me the bird or honk their horn. I am not going to engage lunatics on the road. Life is too short to get mad about some "dis" that, in the grand scheme of things, does not matter at all.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:36 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,604 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
That is exactly why I ignore the maniacs on the road. They can flip me the bird or honk their horn. I am not going to engage lunatics on the road. Life is too short to get mad about some "dis" that, in the grand scheme of things, does not matter at all.
YEP. That. I immediately de-escalate, look away, move away. If I've done something that may be offensive, I smile a weak smile, oh sorry, shrug my shoulders and move away. Usually I've not necessarily done anything offensive, it's just some crazy raging person.

That works just as well at the grocery store, at work, in traffic, and in fact on internet forums. Some crazy tries to engage you, just smile weakly and move on without engaging.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:46 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm trying hard, really I am, but I just can't seem to find any bit of sympathy for the guy that got stabbed...
Well, he was being an offensive jerk. Surely that warrants violent death...

I suspect that every last one of us - especially we who were once teen-aged and twenty-something males (which seems to be the demographic pinnacle of human foolishness) have been offensive jerks on multiple occasions. It may be hard for us to look back and admit it, but I think those who are honest can admit that we've had some massive behavioral shortcomings at times in our lives.

So we all deserve violent death?

Maybe some special snowflakes think they've always been so wonderful that they can find nothing in their pasts to be embarrassed and downright ashamed about.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:07 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Imagine if some jerk mocked and flipped off a dead soldier's funeral in front of the grieving parents. Imagine if you were involved in a wreck, and your child or wife is killed, and someone drives by and mocks you and flips you off.

You can bet my already agitated mind would be so consumed with anger at that point, chasing after that person would be an automatic given. I'm not saying I would want to stab that person, but you never knew what can happen in the heat of the moment.

I love the high horse activists on this forum that always seem to value human life on these threads, until of course, it involves them personally or involves something that affects them personally in some way. I bet if it was some person that taunted and flipped off a group of bikers supporting a political candidate dear to these people, they'd then joyfully make fun of that person getting stabbed.

Double standards and hypocrisy? All the time!

Old 07-27-2017, 08:09 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, he was being an offensive jerk. Surely that warrants violent death...

I suspect that every last one of us - especially we who were once teen-aged and twenty-something males (which seems to be the demographic pinnacle of human foolishness) have been offensive jerks on multiple occasions. It may be hard for us to look back and admit it, but I think those who are honest can admit that we've had some massive behavioral shortcomings at times in our lives.

So we all deserve violent death?

Maybe some special snowflakes think they've always been so wonderful that they can find nothing in their pasts to be embarrassed and downright ashamed about.
Oh yes. I definitely agree. While I'm now a pretty docile and passive guy, it wasn't long ago that I could be an absolute jerk in certain situations -- from arguing with a lady that wrongfully accused me of cutting her off in a checkout line at the grocery store to threatening to punch/fight guys for no good reason. I sure hope I never offended anyone to the point of them thinking I deserved a gruesome, violent death.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:11 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Looks like one A-hole met an even bigger one.
THAT is the moral of the story.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:22 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
The one time I was ever in NYC we were crossing the George Washington Bridge and I saw that a young man was trying to get over into my lane so I, polite Midwest native that I am, slowed down and signaled for him to get in front of me. Here you get a wave of thanks and acknowledgement. This guy flipped me the bird out of his driver's side window. Of course. How DARE I let him in?

Old 07-27-2017, 08:37 AM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm trying hard, really I am, but I just can't seem to find any bit of sympathy for the guy that got stabbed...
I am not sure where your ambivalence is coming from. Even if some jerk/punk does something stupid like shoot a bird or mouth off, they do not deserve to be murdered.

Maybe you are channeling frustration that others have done the same to you with seeming impunity, and over time you hope they pay a price for it.
That would be an understandable emotion.
However, unless you are sick in your mind and ill in your heart, you should not think such trivial things warrant being killed for such behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events