Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:04 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yes that was the story, thanks. The info you posted sure looks a lot more damning than the one I read, which was pre-trial. Strange story huh? Why would anyone kill their best friend?
There was a hint at the end of the NY Times story. There was a comment about how the desert heat over 24 or 48 hrs. can mess with your mind. That would be specially true after panic/despair set in. It's the only explanation that makes sense. He said in court that he wanted to spare his best friend a horrible, lingering, miserable death in their final hours. He was convinced they were both toast, and were too far away from anywhere to be found and rescued. They both could have been delirious.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-03-2017 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 04:52 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Whew, a close call! Your smart thinking saved you. A few questions:

How did you know which direction to start walking to I-70?
How did you walk in the pitch dark without getting even more lost?
Upon getting someone from a garage, how did you find your car if the location of it was lost (which is what led to your predicament in the first place)?
The road I had been on climbs gradually in elevation so once I had gone up it for 12 miles, by daylight I had a good view of the surrounding terrain, including the distant Interstate. I realized that if I was going to hike out my best bet was to set off south in the direction of I-70. I perked up a pot of coffee over my campfire and poured it into my thermos bottle and stuffed my pockets with energy bars along with a couple of sandwiches. I filled up two canteens with water - almost a gallon - and stashed them in my day pack. Then I made sure my campfire was good and dead, packed my camping gear into my car and set out on foot.

I had waited until dark because I knew I could use the occasional glimpse of headlights from the cars on I-70 to make sure that I wasn't just walking in circles. I have a "thing" for flashlights and always have about 6 or 7 different flashlights stashed in my truck and camping gear along with fresh batteries - at least I had remembered about the flashlight batteries - heh!

With a bright flashlight to light the ground in front of me, the light from the moon, the glimpses of headlights to keep me on direction and coffee, energy bars and water; the walk out was actually not a big deal. The hardest part was getting someone to give me a lift into the nearest town once I hit the paved road. Folks on the Interstate don't really like to stop for hitchhikers, and I can't say as I blame them.

I wasn't actually all that lost the night before. It was more about that I didn't want to get good and lost by accidentally driving down a side road or jeep trail in the dark. Once it was daylight I knew where I was and it was easy enough to give the guy from the garage the right directions to get back to my truck. Plus, being local he knew the area pretty well, and I was not exactly the first person who had their truck or jeep break down in or near the Book Cliffs.

I had planned to hit the back road that led to the Book Cliffs while it was still daylight, but I got hung up in Grand Junction (long story), and found myself driving in the dark when I couldn't see any landmarks. Another lesson - don't tarry in Grand Junction until dark when your destination is actually the Book Cliffs!

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 08-03-2017 at 05:00 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 07:13 PM

564 posts, read 449,067 times
Too bad, but it will never stop. In Colorado we had a similar problem. Visitors to the state would head up into the mountains in their summer dress and suddenly find themselves in a freezing rain or snowstorm. Even in good weather, they didn't consider the need for more water at high altitudes and would suffer from heat exhaustion or deadly heat stroke.

We could all take a lesson from Clint: A man's got to know his limitations.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:28 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
The badwater ultra marathon proves people could handle the heat even in Death Valley during the summer however you have to be trained and have a well staffed crew. If you are unprepared it's over

Old 08-03-2017, 07:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
Long reading, but definitely excellent.

The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans. Missing family in 1996.

The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans
Wow, thanks for the read.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:42 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Sad as it does not look good for them. People frequently underestimate desolte areas like this, not realizing a short hike off a marked trail can cause a person to get lost in a few moments. They usually try to find thier way out and go further in in the process. Many areas its easy to fall into a crevasse, ravine or similar and never be found.

The line between being ok and life changing or ending is thinner then most people realize.
^ I think this sums it up nicely. I am all for people being adventurous and being outdoors. I do think even the best of people can underestimate places like this.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:19 AM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The badwater ultra marathon proves people could handle the heat even in Death Valley during the summer however you have to be trained and have a well staffed crew. If you are unprepared it's over
Is this the group that runs through Death Valley in the summer every year? I watched an article on this on TV a few years ago and I couldn't believe it. I think most stay alive only because there is staff following them. Many are in sick and bad shape when it's over.

On the other end of the spectrum, I compare it to those who hike Mt. Hood in the harsh winter to reach the summit, and even highly seasoned hikers have perished there. That mountain is full of dead bodies never found.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:03 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Every time I hear of a story like this, I think of the movie "Gerry" with Matt Damon.
Two guys - both named Gerry - get lost in the desert. They struggle until one kills the other, and then the killer is rescued.
It is based on real life events that happened in 1999.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_David_Coughlin

Old 08-04-2017, 08:06 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Hikers Missing In Joshua Tree Park Amid Soaring Temperatures : The Two-Way : NPR

Sadly, I feel it highly unlikely that these two folks are still alive after all this time in 100+ deg heat and with no water.

Yet another instance of foolish people wandering off in a National Park as if they were expecting it to be like Disney World or something. Such incidents occur all too frequently, and I'm amazed at both the financial cost and the risks that rescue teams go through trying to find fools.

It's the desert people. It's August. Take lots of water and let somebody know where you are planning to hike. As they say, out of the gene pool. *sigh*
About 7 years ago, a woman (a nurse) took her young daughter to visit a desert park. She got lost in her car and they took shelter from the sun under the car. She didn't bring water. I think that the daughter didn't survive. And that was in normal hot summer conditions, not "record heat". And as a nurse, she should have known better on preparations.

I agree. It's a desert and not Central Park.

Years ago, I drove through the eastern part of Oregon. I was on very desolate highways. And a friend warned to me to bring water (in case my car broke down) and to gas up anytime I saw a gas station. The drive wasn't all that scary, I had a great time, but it still was very good advice to get.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:24 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
there have been random thunder storms in that area... there was a big one yesterday. It has been a long time though so unless they are very lucky and prepared they've probably died from exposer

or caught up in a flash flood and drowned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events