Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:30 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, I'm just saying that it was a bad idea all 'round. I suppose we don't know for sure if they were just on a day hike (which would be too long in that heat, even if only for a day), or a weekend hike. It was still a bad idea. And frankly, even with 30-40 gallons of water, the heat would have either killed them, or cause heatstroke, anyway. I wonder if they even bothered to check the temperature forecast before their jaunt.

The cave idea someone mentioned intrigues me, now. I wonder if they decided to hide out from the heat in a cave, and that's why they couldn't be found? You'd think they'd have come out, once they heard helicopters, though. We'll probably never know, until years from now, when someone comes across their bodies.
Yes, I'm thinking the same thing.. they took shelter in a cave. However, that doomed their rescue because they were out of site. Maybe they did hear helicopters and planes, but were too weak to come out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 02:32 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Murder suicide? The phone ping could have been from her trying to get help?

Old 08-02-2017, 03:52 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, it's horrible. Easy to say "Oh well, they were stupid, the world is better off if they're dead" when they're not your kids. If we all died when we made stupid decisions as kids or young adults, who would live to grow up?

However, the situation kind of reminds me of a couple of young adults who went missing in the Saddleback Mountains behind my house a few years ago. Their car was at the trailhead, too, and no one could figure out how they got that lost that fast. There was a big search with helicopters and ground crew...one man was seriously injured while climbing down a hillside looking for them...and they were eventually found, amazingly still alive but badly dehydrated and wouldn't have lasted much longer. It turned out that there were drugs involved. They actually headed off into the hills to use drugs and apparently had no idea they might get lost and stranded out there while they were high.

I remember that too... it was Holy Jim trail. A great short hike that ends at a water fall. Those teenagers got in serious trouble and had to pay back search and rescue a lot of money...

Old 08-02-2017, 03:52 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
Long reading, but definitely excellent.

The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans. Missing family in 1996.

The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:43 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
Long reading, but definitely excellent.

The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans. Missing family in 1996.

The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans
This was awesome reading!!

Old 08-03-2017, 08:52 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
This thread reminded me of a horrible story when 2 young men got lost in the desert, New Mexico I believe. After days without water the one begged the other to kill him to end his suffering. He did and the last I heard they were looking at the possibility of murder charges. Anyone remember that story and have an update?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:37 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
I guess the search is still on. hard to believe they'd survive this long.

Couple still missing in Joshua Tree, searchers brave 'ungodly' monsoonal humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This thread reminded me of a horrible story when 2 young men got lost in the desert, New Mexico I believe. After days without water the one begged the other to kill him to end his suffering. He did and the last I heard they were looking at the possibility of murder charges. Anyone remember that story and have an update?
was this a recent case?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:45 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Did these people really KNOW about the dangers of extreme heat, especially in a desert area? Even if its not a park, they apply. Where I was born and grew up and lived most of my life the summer temps were always warned against so nobody could be ignorant. I was raised in socal, and it was routine to get temps of over a hundred during the summer. If I had to go somewhere, taking a bus, I'd bring a large bottle of water and it would be empty before I headed back. And I was in a city where there were cool places you could go to recoup.

Anyone who takes off into the woods when the temps are at or above a hundred should make it a short trip, and start very early. And you should carry both water and gator aide since you can't just replace the fluids, but the mineral traces your body needs. If you get too dehydrated, with just water, you can get lost since you become disoriented. You may think your going towards home but be going the wrong way until you can't.

I'd never try a walk into an area like that during a hundred plus weather since one little mistake, like getting lost, or passing out, or getting hurt, is far too likely to make it your last adventure.

I live in northern Oklahoma now, and while we get sticky moist heat, its rarely at or over a hundred. I still take a lot of precautions, especially staying hydrated before you notice anything. When its going to be dangerously hot, the local news stresses warnings and tells people to stay home unless they really have to go, and they repeat warnings about taking care of your pets too.

I would think the same warning would have been given for Joshua Tree, especially if someone goes missing the local search and rescue has to risk themselves to go try and find them.

Sadly, its likely they are either past moving on or already gone by now.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I guess the search is still on. hard to believe they'd survive this long.

Couple still missing in Joshua Tree, searchers brave 'ungodly' monsoonal humidity

was this a recent case?
No this was maybe 10 years ago? That's a guess. I couldn't find the story when I searched.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:58 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
No this was maybe 10 years ago? That's a guess. I couldn't find the story when I searched.
I'm from NM but never heard of it. is it this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_David_Coughlin <--lots of reference links at the bottom

Two Went Out, One Came Back - The New York Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events