Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 02:14 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The thing that stood out to me was how badly the nurse behaved while she was being arrested. She's lucky she didn't get a beat down or even shot.

What the heck is wrong with our society that people think they can scream and fight and kick the police?
You must have watched a different video than the one I saw. I saw no fighting or kicking. She was understandably a bit emotional, but she used no profanity or insults.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:18 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
There are two aspects to this story that trouble me.

The first is the behavior of the officer which is characterized by abuse of authority, ignorance of the law and poor judgement. This individual should not be a police officer.

The second and, in my opinion, more serious aspect is the behavior of the police department. The reason that this video has been released is because the nurse and her attorney were unhappy with the response of the department. In addition, it is worth noting that the officers were only placed on leave, the criminal investigation announced and the apologies proffered after the video had created almost universal outrage.

One cannot help feeling that the response of the police department and possibly the city is more about damage limitation than doing the right thing and that their intention from the beginning was to brush this incident under the carpet with no consequences for the officer or his supervisor.

Any citizen has the right to be concerned when police officers act with disregard for the law and when their employers effectively support them in this. The police are entitled to the support of the public. But, in return, the public are entitled to the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, accountability and transparency. This would appear to be lacking in this case.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:36 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
no, but you can act decent, then afterwards, sue the police department for unlawful arrest and detention
Let me know how that works for you when you are unjustly arrested. Let's see how calm you are.

The Police are never going to regain their respect when they act like this.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:51 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Quote:
The thing that stood out to me was how badly the nurse behaved while she was being arrested. She's lucky she didn't get a beat down or even shot.

What the heck is wrong with our society that people think they can scream and fight and kick the police?
The cop intentionally incited her to react by lunging at her and by talking crap the whole time. He was obviously unhinged and irrational (and violent) and she understandably feared for her safety. The other people present were concerned enough with his violent behavior that they tried to interfere & he threatened them with arrest as well.

Honestly, he (the officer) should have been ejected from the facility when he made the first threat, which was several minutes before he assaulted the nurse. He didn't have a warrant, therefore he had no right to even be in the facility.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:14 PM

5,575 posts, read 6,501,669 times
This behavior is why police officers are viewed in a bad light. His "brothers in blue" need to take him to task over this. His assinine behavior taints them all.

"Thanks, bro". (sarcastic)

Old 09-02-2017, 03:25 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
There are two aspects to this story that trouble me.

The first is the behavior of the officer which is characterized by abuse of authority, ignorance of the law and poor judgement. This individual should not be a police officer.

The second and, in my opinion, more serious aspect is the behavior of the police department. The reason that this video has been released is because the nurse and her attorney were unhappy with the response of the department. In addition, it is worth noting that the officers were only placed on leave, the criminal investigation announced and the apologies proffered after the video had created almost universal outrage.

One cannot help feeling that the response of the police department and possibly the city is more about damage limitation than doing the right thing and that their intention from the beginning was to brush this incident under the carpet with no consequences for the officer or his supervisor.

Any citizen has the right to be concerned when police officers act with disregard for the law and when their employers effectively support them in this. The police are entitled to the support of the public. But, in return, the public are entitled to the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, accountability and transparency. This would appear to be lacking in this case.
The worst part is how easily this could have all been avoided. In the amount of time they were trying to illegally obtain a blood draw, they could have complied with the hospital's procedures and the law and obtained a warrant. In the old days when law enforcement officers actually respected the Constitution and the laws they were enforcing, one of them would have had to get on a horse and ride for hours, maybe days to the courthouse, to get a warrant signed, then ride back with the warrant to the location they needed to search. Yet they still respected the law and got the warrant. Today when warrants can be gotten electronically in a few minutes, thats too much trouble. They would rather do it illegally without a warrant.

The second opportunity to avoid this was with the Police Chief. The nurse and the hospital didn't even want to go public with this incident. They just wanted the Police Department to comply with the law. All he had to do was apologize to the nurse for his officers interfering with her job and violating her rights, and assure her and the hospital that in the future his officers would follow the law. But he couldn't even do that because he like his officers have no respect for the law or the Constitution. The law is something they enforce on other people, not on themselves. They would rather operate like a gang, and use threats and intimidation to obtain evidence, rather than use legal means.

That's the real problem. The police in this country don't respect the law, and operate like they are above the law. Which is kind of ironic, since they are LAW enforcement officers.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:33 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
no, but you can act decent, then afterwards, sue the police department for unlawful arrest and detention
Yep. That idiot cop just cost his city a huge settlement, he should have been suspended without pay and not with pay and should lose his pension. A lot of potholes will not get fixed because of his actions.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:41 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:

Do you understand that she was 100% within her legal rights, and what the cops were doing was 100% illegal? She was not arrested or charged with any crime. The cops are under investigation for violating multiple laws. The police department has admitted that the nurse and the hospital was right and their officers were wrong.

Your post is nothing but blatant victim blaming.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:11 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Quote:

Are you frickin' kidding ???? She was at her job, doing NOTHING wrong, she answered the cop respectfully and told him the very valid reasons why she could not legally do it, and he went ballistic immediately. If I were at my job and this happened to me, I would act exactly the way she did.

She is going to end up with a large settlement over this travesty of justice, and the cop needs to go back to being a bouncer at the local redneck bar.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:

Where did you see her kicking him? I saw him dragging her because she wasn't walking. He even yelled at her when she said he was hurting her that if she walked she wouldn't get hurt. She was struggling trying to tell him he was making a mistake. Anyone in her position would have been confused because she was doing the right thing.

I almost wished she would have kicked him where it hurt the most.

Last edited by Minervah; 09-02-2017 at 05:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events