Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:24 AM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Oh, I see your point. Let's let the "crazed wounded animal" out because it's not her fault that she murdered and buried her own child.

You do realize the crazed wounded animal somehow got herself up to the door of NYU doctoral program right? You are open to having any opinion you want but let's not act like she killed her son, took a shower and walked into NYU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 09:29 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its very sad to see so many people wishing punishment for life nowadays, once a person pays their debt to society, they deserve to start over with a clean slate as much as anyone else, in fact its one of the founding principles of our legal system.
How do you EVER pay your debt to society for murder? How do you EVER pay your debt to the person you MURDERED? How do you EVER pay your debt to the family of the person you MURDERED? This thing KILLED their own child! Life in prison isn't enough. There's NO clean slate when you murder someone. You murder your own child, I honestly believe you should be put to death. You have NO respect for any kind of life. I can't believe any university would knowingly accept a murderer into any program. That's DISGUSTING!

Old 09-19-2017, 09:41 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Just to be clear, you wish a woman an eternity in hell because she was raped as a child, then brutally beaten by her mother in an attempt to abort the baby, and abandoned to the foster care system.....and then had a mental break because of all that and confessed to a crime that the police had never even attributed to her?

Wow, I would love to know what made you so perfect. People in glass houses and all that.
She claimed it was non-consensual sex. I find that hard to believe. Many 14 year olds are out there having sex. Did it become non-consensual once she was pregnant? If she was literally forced to have sex, where's the police report? Doctor's visit? I don't buy it.

Many people never confess to crimes, but are found guilty. People also confess to crimes they didn't commit. Yes, I have no problem with her being in hell for an eternity because she MURDERED someone. Her horrible past doesn't give her a free pass in life. She could have gone and gotten professional help. Instead, she chose to murder her son and hide his body....a body that police have NEVER found.

I was abused by my parents throughout my childhood. Spent more time in family court than anyone should. That didn't give me a free pass to go out and do whatever the heck I wanted to do. I have NEVER murdered anyone. I never even thought about it!

Old 09-19-2017, 12:39 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You do realize the crazed wounded animal somehow got herself up to the door of NYU doctoral program right? You are open to having any opinion you want but let's not act like she killed her son, took a shower and walked into NYU
What else did she have to do for twenty years...she isn't the only one getting a degree in prison. Sometimes they study law so they can get out of their sentences. Sometimes they do it to try to get released early for good behavior. I don't care if she solves world hunger or cures cancer, she killed her own little boy - the worst of humanity and twisted behavior.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:08 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What else did she have to do for twenty years...she isn't the only one getting a degree in prison. Sometimes they study law so they can get out of their sentences. Sometimes they do it to try to get released early for good behavior. I don't care if she solves world hunger or cures cancer, she killed her own little boy - the worst of humanity and twisted behavior.
What else did she have to do? Nothing she could have literally done nothing at all, she could have continued to commit crimes suffice to say it's a lot easier to do a host of other things vs getting prepared to get accepted into a doctoral program. I don't have to agree with her actions to put her in jail, the sentencing or the outcome but she deserves some credit imo. Of course the better outcome would have been for her to serve 50 years to life and drained the tax payer as a repayment to her son

Old 09-19-2017, 01:31 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,107,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
She paid her "dues" to the legal system for her heinous crime, not society. Decent people are under no obligation to accept much less welcome a child murderer living among them.
Wrong.

In a civilized society (as we claim to be), the legal system represents and speaks for "society" in matters regarding crime and justice.

You, as an individual, may not like a particular decision but we, as the greater whole, agree to accept and live by this rule of law (or societal understanding), rather than engage in emotional vigilantism and mob rule.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:55 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Now image the face of YOUR real daughter in prison who by some 1 in a million miracle has managed to pull her mind together, overcome years of abuse and neglect and learn and become a normalized person. Having really done this, your daughter has served twice the average sentence, is no longer a threat to anyone. What do you want for your daughter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Oh, I see your point. Let's let the "crazed wounded animal" out because it's not her fault that she murdered and buried her own child.

Why confused? 20 years later she has overcome the demons that led to her murdering her child. She has done twice as much time as most for the same crime. She is no longer a threat to society.
Were she your child I think you would agree to let her out. But you don't want to be honest or challenge the easy hate or lack of empathy of your shallow beliefs.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:58 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I do not want punishment for life for being a mugger, or driving carelessly and killing somebody, or cheating on your taxes. She brutally murdered her son.
Worse than that, she tortured him, then left him to die.

That said, if she truly has turned her life around, more power to her.

My big problem is that she had 30 years shaved off of her sentence. If you're sentenced to 50, you serve 50. I figure she's got 30 more years of paying the penalty for her evil deed. And if a university wants to keep her out for some of those years, they can.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:01 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,107,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Seriously, you probably wouldn't care if she literally solved world hunger or cured cancer but I would.

Because the way I see it, someone who would put enough consideration into solving problems that kill countless people is not the rabid, heartless, uncaring, selfish, homicidal monster that many people are painting this lady to be.

No, she has not solved world hunger or cured cancer but she is proving that she may very well be redeemable as a human being.

I believe the real question is do we as a society have the courage and the conviction of character to live up to our claims of fairness, forgiveness, and second chances is give her a real chance to make the rest of her life a positive testament of redemption.

I am so glad that God offers all of us more grace and mercy than some of us are showing this woman.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:04 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Problem is, those who judge weren't there and don't have all the facts and mitigating circumstances. If this women was a "Multiple MURDERER"...then redemption would be much more difficult to obtain (i would agree).

POINT IS...citizens of a country are held by their societies standards, forced to abide and live by the consequences of their laws (laws of their land). THE FLIP side of coin,...you must also abide by the ruling; in this case, she served 20 yrs for murder----which is a lot more than many murderers serve (but that's beside the point).

Hopefully, those who want MORE PUNISHMENT, will be judged by the measure of their own stick (perhaps in the next life they may come back as a Big Game Giraffe).

There are no "mitigating circumstances" when it comes to torturing, murdering and burying your child. Period. What could possibly justify that?

PS: the "ruling" was 50 years, and she served less than half of that.

I'm perfectly OK being judged in thinking that a mother who tortures and murders her child deserves the full punishment handed to her. And while I admire her determination while in prison, we'll see how well she does outside the walls. It's only been a very short time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events