Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:49 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I ordered online N95 and N99 masks from Grainger Thursday afternoon and they were delivered Friday... no special shipping.

Grainger is one company that has supply chain down to an art.
I had trouble sending stuff into the area, the delivery company said it was deliverable. Granted, the fires are more contained right now.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 11:45 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times
I live in Clearlake and there was mandatory evacuation for my area, so at 3 am Monday morning was packing and was gone for three scary days. Thankfully I'm back now and my flat was untouched by the Sulfur Fire. The winds were blowing to the west, so my area was spared. Over 200 homes were destroyed in a short time. These were down at the edge of Clear Lake (the lake) and somehow no embers were blown over to the other side. Thankfully there were no deaths in this fire, that I know about, any way. But for three years in a row, now, there have been devastating fires in Lake County.

I have lots of friends in Sonoma County and they said it was the wind (gusts to 60 mph) which caused the fires to spread so rapidly and so split up into separate fires. Some of my friends had quarter-sized embers raining down on their cars as they were getting out.

Heard an opinion from an expert that had the wind not been a factor, there would have been one or two fires, and those quickly extinguished, especially in Santa Rosa. I lived in SR for about 30 years and am feeling lots of grief because I know that in my life time, SR won't be able to recover. (Haha, part of that of course is because I'm old....that's another story...)

To correct someone who earlier said that Kaiser Permanente was burned down...that is not so. They did have to completely evacuate and shut down, though. I'm thankful that the physical plant is OK.

I don't even live in Santa Rosa any more, but feel very traumatized by the fires.....can't imagine how it is for those who experienced it more personally. My thoughts and prayers go out to all who are suffering.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I live in Clearlake and there was mandatory evacuation for my area, so at 3 am Monday morning was packing and was gone for three scary days. Thankfully I'm back now and my flat was untouched by the Sulfur Fire. The winds were blowing to the west, so my area was spared. Over 200 homes were destroyed in a short time. These were down at the edge of Clear Lake (the lake) and somehow no embers were blown over to the other side. Thankfully there were no deaths in this fire, that I know about, any way. But for three years in a row, now, there have been devastating fires in Lake County.

I have lots of friends in Sonoma County and they said it was the wind (gusts to 60 mph) which caused the fires to spread so rapidly and so split up into separate fires. Some of my friends had quarter-sized embers raining down on their cars as they were getting out.

Heard an opinion from an expert that had the wind not been a factor, there would have been one or two fires, and those quickly extinguished, especially in Santa Rosa. I lived in SR for about 30 years and am feeling lots of grief because I know that in my life time, SR won't be able to recover. (Haha, part of that of course is because I'm old....that's another story...)

To correct someone who earlier said that Kaiser Permanente was burned down...that is not so. They did have to completely evacuate and shut down, though. I'm thankful that the physical plant is OK.

I don't even live in Santa Rosa any more, but feel very traumatized by the fires.....can't imagine how it is for those who experienced it more personally. My thoughts and prayers go out to all who are suffering.

I see things pretty close to how you do, having lived there for many years and having friends evacuated and/or burned out of their homes is so sad.

First reports were that Kaiser had burned, thankfully those were in error.
Lots of Kudos to local radio station KSRO who even while fire threatened their station and some of their homes for a time they kept broadcasting vital information 24/7 from day one.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:58 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I had trouble sending stuff into the area, the delivery company said it was deliverable**. Granted, the fires are more contained right now.
** Huh?

Old 10-16-2017, 02:56 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
** Huh?
Oops. UN deliverable.

Thanks for catching that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-16-2017, 11:02 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post

Is this Clear Lake that's northwest of Sacramento? Because if it is, I was just looking for lots for sale there.

Oh, well, I was also looking at a lot at the top of a hill in the Santa Cruz Mts, too. For anyone asking, no I'm not sane.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:34 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Is this Clear Lake that's northwest of Sacramento? Because if it is, I was just looking for lots for sale there.

Oh, well, I was also looking at a lot at the top of a hill in the Santa Cruz Mts, too. For anyone asking, no I'm not sane.
Yes, there is only one lake named Clear Lake in California. It is one of the oldest natural lakes in the west. Lots of pioneer history here, as the area was a 'destination' for the wealthy of San Francisco in the late '10s and in the '20s. Also lots of American Indian history.

The town of about 18,000 on the southeast edge of the lake is called Clearlake, (one word.) Property has gotten much pricier here in Lake County since the speciality wine growers came in about 15 years ago.

The Sulfur Fire is mostly or all extinguished. I was given and had posted wrong info on the number of homes burned: lots of "facts" get bandied around in an event like this. Here's a recent news item from a local newspaper Map released of damaged homes

Old 10-17-2017, 09:28 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
Thank you for the info.

Hmmm...maybe the Santa Cruz Mts are out also.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ev...ins/ar-AAtE6nq

OK, so I'm not sure where this fire is. I heard originally it was burning at Bear Creek Road, which is off Hwy 17 and close to Los Gatos. However, now I'm reading where it's actually Bear Creek Canyon Rd and it's on the other side of the hill by Felton and Boulder Creek.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 10-17-2017 at 09:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events