Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:55 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,875,268 times

Advertisements

Democrats have always been the master of the "October Surprise"
What a coincidence that these girls all decided to come forward just ahead of the election.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:58 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
What a coincidence that these girls all decided to come forward just ahead of the election.
Dude...most of the people coming out are coming out about people in Hollywood that tends to be Dems.

P.S. Its November

Old 11-12-2017, 08:02 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

But I think the women all coming forward are doing it to support others, to come out of the shadows and shine a light on the culture of sexual abuse and even inequality in the entertainment industry. Its a good thing. Does anyone really think everyone of these women are after a pay day? Most coming out aren't pushing it beyond telling their story or essentially doing a #metoo. How is this wrong?
And that's what's powerful about this #metoo tidal wave. This sort of sexual harassment happens to women (and hell, men) all the time, to the point where people are saying "what's the big deal?" As if watching someone you thought would be a mentor or an asset exhibiting sexual behavior is just par for the course, and you have to deal with it.

The fact that people in power are using that power to lord over people with less power, and trusting that no one will tell on them is an ugly secret and a big deal, and people are turning over lots of rocks to see what's scurrying.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I do question them. my question is really simple. why are you coming forward now??? it seems the new "thing" is to say you were sexually assaulted.

Today Rebel Wilson says she too was sexually harassed.

All these women in Hollywood and no one spoke up until Weinstein???

It's become "de rigueur"
Yes....de rigueur in the space of a year. How callous we are that after a pitiful year of Cosby, Weinstein and a couple others...including Trump, we're already bored and done with it. Oh jeez..he flipped it out and jacked off in front of her...what's the big effing deal? Doesn't EVERY woman expect something like that to happen in a business meeting? THAT happens all the time so suck it up (har de har har...I'm sure a guy would intend that pun).

After millennia of harassment we, EVEN WOMEN, can't handle hearing about it. Mainly because so many of us "little" women had to put up with it and didn't get a dime for our trouble? Are we jealous that someone ELSE came forward? And got a little cash back when? I guess men are no more pathetic than the women who don't support women.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:03 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Some of the people coming out are men. Not just women.

I think rape and child molestation are horrendous. But I don't want to hear someone complain about how so-and-so made a pass at them when they were an adult. That's not rape or molestation.
Nope - it's not - it's SEXUAL HARASSMENT. Don't try to twist it.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:37 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I was just about to make the same point. In fact, I have a cousin who was molested as an altar boy. He never told anyone outside the family. As an adult, married and with two kids, he blew his brains out. It destroyed him.

And let's not forget the boys who were molested by Jerry Sandusky at Penn State. He was convicted on 45 counts. Who knows how many more there were?

Why are we not questioning these boys' motivation for not reporting it right away
?
No doubt there are many who did not come forward. And, like you, I don't recall anyone questioning the boys/men for not coming forward sooner. We know why they did not come forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Are you serious?
The poster was not serious; the poster was making a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
They shoulda walked away, maybe they didn't have any proof?
Come again?

A boy who has been molested 'shoulda walked away"? It seems to me they ended up having enough proof to jail Sandusky. And I will always believe that Paterno chose to look the other way.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:05 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Come again?

A boy who has been molested 'shoulda walked away"? It seems to me they ended up having enough proof to jail Sandusky. And I will always believe that Paterno chose to look the other way.
Like the women speaking up now, they "engaged in this, they somehow expected to benefit, with a job, or a position, this is what they got. They shoulda walked away". Isn't that the significant response?

Yes it seems a really inappropriate comment, doesn't it? What proof do they need to come up with? What proof sent Sandusky to jail? Didn't these claims come from those wanting to be part of a team? Well then is it fair to question why it happened to them and why they 'put up with' that ?

No it's cruel and victim blame, just as it would be for anyone else reporting their abuse. It seems it should be equal expectations of "proof" and how one should react when this happens to them.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:07 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
Let's see...

On one hand, maybe the fact that one person tells her story has inspired others to stop remaining silent out of shame and out of fear of repercussions. And perhaps that results in positive feedback, a snowball effect in which this encourages more and more victims to stand up and be heard. This dynamic, wherein a small beginning results in a mass result, is a well-known aspect of group dynamics.

On the other hand, maybe they're just a bunch of lying sluts!

Gee, I wonder which it could possibly be ...

Old 11-12-2017, 10:21 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
The woman who was 14 when this happened is a registered Republican who voted for Trump

Old 11-12-2017, 10:30 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It seems to me they ended up having enough proof to jail Sandusky. And I will always believe that Paterno chose to look the other way.
I am very familiar with Penn State football and Joe Paterno was like a "god" there. His statue being taking down was a shock and a true turning point. His crime was inaction and just that was enough to bring him down.

We are in 2017 now and I can't understand why what has happened to girls (many underage at the time) isn't being treated with such swift and decisive reactions. It's almost muddled now as motives, timing, etc. keep getting questioned.

I am not sure if the posters expressing this realize it, but the whole "coulda, woulda, shoulda" arguments are another form of shaming these victims. The boy's stories (which were only relayed much later too) weren't questioned like this. It's not fair.

Last edited by motownnative; 11-12-2017 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events