Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 02:58 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The dog was allegedly an emotional support animal. I think all you need for an ESA is a doctor's note. In fact, online sites offer evaluations and doctor's notes. Fly your animal anywhere, free. No dogs allowed housing ? Get an ESA. Some people will find a way to abuse the most well-intentioned program.
The 'Emotional Support Animal' isn't required to be allowed access to all areas such as an ADA Service Animal. ESA can be tossed out of anywhere, they don't have legal immunity like the ones covered under the ADA. Due to the amount of folks trying to pass anything off as a ESA, I'm suspecting pretty soon they aren't going to be allowed anywhere anymore.

A service dog (usually it's a dog) will almost always have all four feet on the floor. It will have been trained to do a specific set of tasks for it's owner. You are allowed to ask:
1. Is that a service animal?
2. What service does it perform?

If they don't answer 'yes' to the first, you can have the animal removed from the public premises. If they start in on 'it's an emotional supprt animal', they can legally be removed from the public premises.

There is something that may allow the ESA to be in rental housing, but that's up to you to go find out if it matters.

If the dog is biting someone in an airport, it's NOT a service animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 05:57 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Have you read a single word of the story?

The dog and owner were not Jet Blue passengers.

They vacated the airport before they could be detained.

It's unlikely a dog not airborne will bite a customer in the air.

/end
Yeah, so this guy and his dog were just hanging out at the Jet Blue Terminal... Orlando Airport gets an F. They could try to pinpoint how this dude got to the airport. Whether he was dropped by someone. Get the license plate and have Animal Control seize and destroy the dog.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:27 AM

212 posts, read 162,439 times
I am an avid animal lover and do not believe that a person bringing their animal around an area where there are people, should be kept unsupervised. As a pet parent, it says something about the human of this dog that they would just walk away after having harmed someone.

She most certainly should sue based on that fact alone, never mind her pain and suffering. I personally have never been bitten by any animal and would expect that she is going to having nightmares in the least. Doesn't the airport having security and cameras?

Last edited by PetiteGem; 11-15-2017 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: added a line

Old 11-15-2017, 06:41 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The 'Emotional Support Animal' isn't required to be allowed access to all areas such as an ADA Service Animal. ESA can be tossed out of anywhere, they don't have legal immunity like the ones covered under the ADA. Due to the amount of folks trying to pass anything off as a ESA, I'm suspecting pretty soon they aren't going to be allowed anywhere anymore.

A service dog (usually it's a dog) will almost always have all four feet on the floor. It will have been trained to do a specific set of tasks for it's owner. You are allowed to ask:
1. Is that a service animal?
2. What service does it perform?

If they don't answer 'yes' to the first, you can have the animal removed from the public premises. If they start in on 'it's an emotional supprt animal', they can legally be removed from the public premises.

There is something that may allow the ESA to be in rental housing, but that's up to you to go find out if it matters.

If the dog is biting someone in an airport, it's NOT a service animal.
But:
Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Old 11-15-2017, 06:56 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
But:
Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
The laws need to change a lot of fraud is going on with the whole service dog/emotional support dog. Every service dog should be registered and have an official ID tag. The owner should also have an ID card illustrating that the dog is a service dog and it is registered to him.

If you go to Youtube, there are a whole lot of people just testing or pushing the boundary with the whole service dog into an establishment. I saw a lady that wanted to bring her service dog into a Chinese restaurant. The staff wanted to sit her away from other customers....NOPE, this lady was not having it. She wanted to sit where everyone else was sitting at. The ADA has a stipulation in which states that "People with disabilities who use service animals cannot be isolated from other patrons." Unreal!! I also like how people with allergies to dogs just have to put up with it.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The laws need to change a lot of fraud is going on with the whole service dog/emotional support dog. Every service dog should be registered and have an official ID tag. The owner should also have an ID card illustrating that the dog is a service dog and it is registered to him.

If you go to Youtube, there are a whole lot of people just testing or pushing the boundary with the whole service dog into an establishment. I saw a lady that wanted to bring her service dog into a Chinese restaurant. The staff wanted to sit her away from other customers....NOPE, this lady was not having it. She wanted to sit where everyone else was sitting at. The ADA has a stipulation in which states that "People with disabilities who use service animals cannot be isolated from other patrons." Unreal!! I also like how people with allergies to dogs just have to put up with it.
Its not a problem where I live. Once in a while you see an old lady with a small dog in her arms and its an ESA. No big deal. It clearly comforts them and I haven't seen one be a problem. But when I visited Seattle recently, man there were a lot of dogs that were clearly ESAs. Like everywhere I went. It was weird. I could see how that could get annoying, esp if the owners weren't the best. Some dogs I noticed weren't clean or super well trained. So I get where people could be annoyed.

I think laws may change as people are taking greater advantage of the laws. But I agree with much of it. Registering would mean our government would have to get involved...and they don't want to. They would have to over see dog training facilities and make up a whole bunch of legislation to sort it out. And no person should have to disclose their disability, so it would still be easy enough to lie about.

I think the law is right that people with service animals shouldn't be isolated, the laws state that and I think that is correct. But they should also attempt to help people with allergies. Seat them far apart. If you have a real service animal, you cant take a benedryl and not be disabled anymore...see where I am going with that?

Old 11-15-2017, 08:33 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Where did you get the info it was an ESA? Not this article. In fact, it says it was pre-screening or ticketing, let alone boarding. And the owner refused to cooperate and fled to air port terminal. So where did you get this info.

A woman was bitten in ticketing, pre-security. The owner took off. So how do you know so much? Please site your article or news sourse.
"Langlois was with her girlfriend Heather Cox and the couple immediately tried to find out if the pit bull was up to date on its shots. The JetBlue representative told them the dog was an emotional support dog."

Woman says she was bitten by emotional support dog in JetBlue check-in line

I said 'allegedly' an ESA because, who knows if the article is accurate ? There's so much abuse of ESA privileges, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the dog's owner called it an ESA if asked. [An ESA is not Service animal.]

Old 11-15-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
"Langlois was with her girlfriend Heather Cox and the couple immediately tried to find out if the pit bull was up to date on its shots. The JetBlue representative told them the dog was an emotional support dog."

Woman says she was bitten by emotional support dog in JetBlue check-in line

I said 'allegedly' an ESA because, who knows if the article is accurate ? There's so much abuse of ESA privileges, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the dog's owner called it an ESA if asked. [An ESA is not Service animal.]
That's a lot more information then the original story posted...but its still very unclear what really happened. I feel for the woman who got bitten. It seems like they are really getting the run around and she deserves compensation and that dog needs to be restricted from public places (or euthanized if this is a long term problem)

Old 11-15-2017, 10:59 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
But I think JetBlue would be out of line to give a passenger's information. That passenger could sue.
The dog owner would be having a lot of damn brass trying to sue. Their dog caused the injuries, and they didn't have the decency to stay and take full responsibility. You give up your right to complain about "privacy" when you've caused someone else injury.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:00 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Yeah, so this guy and his dog were just hanging out at the Jet Blue Terminal... Orlando Airport gets an F. They could try to pinpoint how this dude got to the airport. Whether he was dropped by someone. Get the license plate and have Animal Control seize and destroy the dog.
Where did you get this was a Jet Blue terminal? It seems like a lot of terminals many airlines operate out of the same area. You can chill with your cowboy hero tactics of running down a license plate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events