Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 02:54 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
That's what I was going to ask. I guess they don't do this anymore and haven't for a long time, based on the confused responses on the part of some posters wondering where children get to learn about professions.

That was how I learned about the occupation of a Food Scientist. Fascinating combo of two of my favorite subjects.

A parent was one for General Mills and gave an interesting talk on product development, and how food products like Combos were made. Didn't hand out samples, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 05:02 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
That was how I learned about the occupation of a Food Scientist. Fascinating combo of two of my favorite subjects.

A parent was one for General Mills and gave an interesting talk on product development, and how food products like Combos were made. Didn't hand out samples, unfortunately.
Good for you. Inasmuch as the whole generation did not flock to Food Science, the other kids must have been snoozing. Or didn't have that particular guy come to their class.

My point is that this isn't particularly a big deal and nothing at all new. Kids are going to dream about the glamorous people in their entertainment media. A hundred years ago, it was kids in Chicago dreaming of being baseball players or cowboys...that's what the glamorous people in their media were doing.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:16 PM

You and maybe other kids may not have felt that it was glamorous, but I and other kids there did.

My point, was that exposing kids to real life folks in a variety of occupations not commonly portrayed in national media, may in turn inspire them to pursue occupations they might not have otherwise thought of. Whether or not you consider them glamorous is subjective. As mentioned, one way this was done was by having those folks visit young school kids to describe their jobs, how they chose them, the duties, and any exciting and perhaps glamorous aspects of their job.

Btw, do you think science is not a glamorous enough field to inspire young kids to dream of pursuing it? In addition to running around playing cowboys and sports figures, how many kids during that time also played space explorers and aliens? How many became future astronauts and scientists due to seeing the multitude of sci-fi tv shows and movies spanning the '50's,'60's, '70's and '80's that also spurred the SpaceRace and its subsequent space programs. The period which produced John Glenn, Neil Armstrong, and captivated the world with images of the astronauts landing on the moon surely must have also inspired many young kids to dream of becoming one also?

Old 01-26-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
You and maybe other kids may not have felt that it was glamorous, but I and other kids there did.

My point, was that exposing kids to real life folks in a variety of occupations not commonly portrayed in national media, may in turn inspire them to pursue occupations they might not have otherwise thought of. Whether or not you consider them glamorous is subjective. As mentioned, one way this was done was by having those folks visit young school kids to describe their jobs, how they chose them, the duties, and any exciting and perhaps glamorous aspects of their job.

Btw, do you think science is not a glamorous enough field to inspire young kids to dream of pursuing it? In addition to running around playing cowboys and sports figures, how many kids during that time also played space explorers and aliens? How many became future astronauts and scientists due to seeing by the multitude of sci-fi tv shows and movies spanning the '50's,'60's, '70's and '80's that spurred the SpaceRace. The period which produced John Glenn, Neil Armstrong, and captivated the world with images of the astronauts landing on the moon?
Well, in my childhood there was the Space Race to inspire kids to be scientists, and so many other things prior to the uncovering of pollution issues in the 70s.

But I've already pointed out that beginning with the Boomer generation, kids (particularly in the industrialized world) are more separated from gaining a concept of what their adult lives could be than ever before in human history.

And I've already pointed out that kids will tend to expect what they see, not what they can't see.

How to expose them to that? "Bring your parents to school day" is bailing the Titanic with a dixie cup.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:36 PM

Perhaps. Perhaps not. That is just one avenue to pursue to expose young minds. My kids and many of their friends regularly watch science and engineering-related shows. They are all well-rounded, active kids. There are many now on various cable channels, youtube, and other media platforms, many more than when I was young and basically just had PBS.

Last edited by mingna; 01-26-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 01-26-2018, 07:13 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Here are some things I learned about because of YouTube channels (aka people using the medium to capitalize on their knowledge/talent and monetizing it):

-Literary analysis
-Government structures
-String theory
-Death rituals of ancient peoples
-Meditation for stress reduction
-Film analysis
-Economics
-Philosophy
-Tarski paradox

And many, many, many other topics, ideas, people, etc.

I also use YouTube to learn how to do things in my business and around the house or dealing with my kids.

Again, I think many of you don't watch YouTube or don't watch the right channels. There is a plethora of invaluable information at our fingertips presented by knowledgeable people.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:23 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Again, its clear your experience with watching quality YouTube channels is quite lacking. I'll take your opinion...with a grain of salt to say the least.
Why is that what about what I said was wrong? Just saying my experience in watching YouTube channels is lacking does not disprove or prove any kind of point. How do I know that you know what a quality video is?

Old 01-28-2018, 07:41 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Why is that what about what I said was wrong? Just saying my experience in watching YouTube channels is lacking does not disprove or prove any kind of point. How do I know that you know what a quality video is?
See my post above yours.

There IS quality content on YouTube.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:08 AM

666 posts, read 512,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Again, I think many of you don't watch YouTube or don't watch the right channels. There is a plethora of invaluable information at our fingertips presented by knowledgeable people.

How do you know they are "knowledgeable people?"

See, this is what frightens me about YouTube. Anybody--and I mean anybody--can present themselves as an expert on that site, and yet everyone will just swallow what they say without questioning it.

Right now, I could start up a YouTube channel, call myself an astrophysicist, and then create "lessons" based on stuff I picked up off of multiple poorly researched websites.

I can present myself as a medical expert and proceed to teach women how they can "cure their fibroids naturally."

The point is that unless someone actually physically demonstrates their expertise (as in baking a cake, changing a bike tire, dying their hair, etc.) or shows some kind of credentials or something, they're not "experts." They're just people with YouTube channels.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
How do you know they are "knowledgeable people?"

See, this is what frightens me about YouTube. Anybody--and I mean anybody--can present themselves as an expert on that site, and yet everyone will just swallow what they say without questioning it.

Right now, I could start up a YouTube channel, call myself an astrophysicist, and then create "lessons" based on stuff I picked up off of multiple poorly researched websites.

I can present myself as a medical expert and proceed to teach women how they can "cure their fibroids naturally."

The point is that unless someone actually physically demonstrates their expertise (as in baking a cake, changing a bike tire, dying their hair, etc.) or shows some kind of credentials or something, they're not "experts." They're just people with YouTube channels.
A. Someone will point out errors in the comments.

B. In most cases, the results of a how-to video will prove themselves right then and there. The cake gets baked, the tire gets changed, the hair gets dyed, and the results are displayed at the end of the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events