Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 12:17 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times

Advertisements

What must be acknowledged is that the barrier of entry to being a YouTuber/Internet Personality is much lower than becoming a Hollywood actor or a professional sports star. All one needs is a good internet connection, a computer, and a video recording device in order to break into the internet scene. Even if you don't have the luck of suddenly going viral, a decent following can still be achieved in due time, enough that further growth and goals can be spearheaded. Even those that are self-conscious and don't want to show themselves still have a decent chance in achieving success with the platform, as there's still the content aggregator scene (i.e. F*ckJerry, 9Gag, etc).

Not only that, but the internet is very effective in bringing great exposure to interests that aren't typically in the limelight. This allows greater ease in establishing a niche, and growing a huge following from it. Just think about the concepts presented in personas like Primitive Tech, CinemaSins, Epic Rap Battles, etc and imagine how they would fare had the internet not existed. Even regarding more popular hobbies like video games, how many would have guessed that eSports would become a thing?

Last edited by Texyn; 06-23-2018 at 12:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 09:46 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
I remember this question to us in elementary school and majority wanted to be athletes, movie stars, singers, astronauts, etc. I’m willing to bet that nobody in the class achieved what they wanted to be.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:16 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
How do you make money on You Tube?

I learned a lot of stuff there that made major impacts on our life, like how to make Greek Yogurt in a crock pot.

I never paid anything to anybody.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:33 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

I learned a lot of stuff there that made major impacts on our life, like how to make Greek Yogurt in a crock pot.

One way is through monetization. When a channel has a sufficient number of views, they become eligible for companies to sponsor ads on their videos. And each time an ad is watched, the uploader earns money.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:28 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:

Good question.

How did Ted Danson make 800,000 dollars per episode?
https://youtu.be/05wJaKtciH0

I never put a quarter in my TV to watch him

Disk jockeys and the morning radio team aren't volunteers?

Old 06-24-2018, 09:46 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times

To extrapolate this...

The Most Desired Career Among Young Children Today Is "YouTuber"

...from one small poll of children in one country (the United Kingdom) is just outrage candy for the ever-present "My generation rocked but the new one totally sucks!" crowd.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:18 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
A least desired situation for any person should be living with their mother-in-law.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:11 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Who wouldn't want to be doing something they like and get paid well for it?

Old 06-29-2018, 04:14 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
My kid used to say this. I told him that I wasn't going to tell him not to, but just like how he said before this, that he wanted to create and test and generally play video games for a living one day, I was skeptical. And I told him, "You and every other kid your age, dude." Now he is interested in getting into cyber-security. I'm encouraging that, and hoping he sticks with that path. He is almost 17 now. He plans to enlist in the military as a path to getting into this career.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:06 PM

353 posts, read 458,524 times
Kids will be kids. Popular Youtubers like PewDiePie are Internet celebrities and (some? most?) people always want to be like celebrities. But what they don't see is that going full-time on Youtube is a tremendous amount of work. You are basically a self-employed small business owner, meaning you are always working. Most people who are full-time don't just sit in front of a camera for 3 or 4 hours a week and make six- or seven-figure salaries. It might seem that way but it's really not, especially now with Adpocalypse on Youtube (channels being demonetized by Youtube, removing their ad revenue and forcing them to rely on their community to support their channel). It gets harder and harder all the time to break into the market, since so many popular niches are being covered and in a lot of cases have been for many years. For every big channel with millions of subs, there are thousands that barely get noticed for whatever reason.

Quote:

Ad revenue, donations and creator support websites like Patreon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events