Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 07:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Which is why they should rescind the ban on smoking in bars. A bar owner should be able to decide. Maybe just make the bars that want to allow smoking become private clubs. And ban smoking everywhere else where the public has access, including outside public spaces like sidewalks.

Source?
LMGTFY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 07:13 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,380,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I don't live there, so no dog in this fight. But if they're going to ban anything (while walking) please let it be using a smart phone. That will save more injuries, and possible lives, than less smoke ever will.
Didn't one town just across the Hudson River from NYC in New Jersey(per what I read online), ban texting and/or cell/smartphone usage while walking anyway a few years ago? I can sorta see the purpose of that ban, since many using their phone and walking become oblivious of their surroundings when crossing streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The issue here is people walking and smoking on crowded Manhattan streets where you can't get away from smoke that's in your face.
Imo they should just designate certain busy streets as non-smoking areas like they do in Japan. I don't think the rest of the US or even most of New York City has enough pedestrian density where smoking outside is a problem.
Never been to Japan, but I thought I heard that in areas of Tokyo where certain sidewalk blocks prohibited smoking on the sidewalk, that there were occasional walk-in lounges on street corners(which sorta look like airport smoking lounges) where you could smoke in, in lieu of not being able to smoke on the sidewalk? IMO like another C-D poster said, I would lift the ban on smoking from bars and other adult only clubs, and let those businesses be able to decide once again if they wanted to have smoking, provided there was a clear exterior sign at their entrance and disclosures on job applications that they permit smoking. I suspect most bars would remain no smoking, if NYC ever lifted their ban on smoking in bars. I know for a fact whenever I visit Nashville, there are tons of adult-only bars there that if they wanted to could permit smoking inside, but voluntarily don't due to customer demand. It's ACTUALLY harder to find a smoking-permitted business(as such businesses that don't allow minors inside, are exempted from Tennessee's smoking ban), than one that bans smoking.

Also last I checked, I don't think there's anything conclusive that shows breathing a brief wisp of cigarette smoke outside on a sidewalk will kill you. It's only briefly annoying at worst, and IMO vehicle exhaust(especially from trucks) is FAR more annoying than cigarette smoke is.

Quote:
What if it’s a private club?

What if it’s a cooperative, owned by its members and employees?

Thanks for your reply!
I totally agree with you, so darn much here. Sadly, I suspect Otto is one of those posters where regardless of how much logic you throw at him/her, that he/she is probably so stuck up in believing all the anti-smoking lies and overexaggerations that side likes to make up.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:19 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I realize different jurisdictions have different laws, which can easily be researched online.

I was not clear.

What I was wondering is whether you have firsthand knowledge of an actual private club or tavern that has figured out a way to provide refuge for smokers.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Also, the reason I asked is because most of the state bans that provide exceptions for private clubs only apply to clubs that were established before the ban went into effect.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:59 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
No, I don't think they should get to decide - employees have a right to a smoke-free environment.
This is the argument used by the anti-smokers in objecting to the compromise I referred to earlier. Thing was, the employees of the establishments that chose to be officially smoking allowed also smoked and were delighted to have a place where they could work and smoking was not a problem, and were very unhappy when that went away. Don't THEY have rights, or is it only the people who share your prejudices that do?

Old 03-28-2018, 12:35 AM

13,278 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Quote:
Hi Otto,

How do you feel about allowing business owners to decide whether to permit smoking inside their establishments? Bars, taverns, etc.--Maybe even allowing private clubs to exist as smoker's refuges?

That way you can easily avoid them. Right?

Jo
2nd hand smoke inside a room is a health hazard if someone wants to smoke that's their business but inside a room I don't want to be forced to breath it. I grew up in the 70-80's when smoking was legal in most places I remember my father smoking in his hospital bed recovering from surgery LOL. I grew up in a house full of smokers and I hope it never returns to those days. Probably the one reason I never took up smoking I can remember the most growing up was first thing it the morning all the smokers in my house coughing when they woke up. My parents both smoked and my brother and his wife smoked after he got out of the Army he moved back in with us for about 4 years while he went to school.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:26 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It's a lot worse being stuck in traffic behind a bus.
That causes me to become ill.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:57 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
years ago, I flew from Newark international to (I think) Toronto to catch a flight to Vancouver.

I could not smoke anywhere at Newark airport. (flying...nerves, arrgh!) it was a couple of months after 9/11.

at the Canadian airport there was a large room with glass walls for smokers.

even though fewer Canadians smoke than americans percentage-wise, Canadians seem to care about ALL, not just SOME of their citizens.

although the USA touts its 'justice and liberty for all', Canada does a much better job of doing so.

smokers are treated as quasi-criminals here for doing something that IS LEGAL!

Old 03-28-2018, 07:05 AM

AguaDulce:

How do you feel about allowing business owners to decide whether to permit smoking inside their establishments? Bars, taverns, etc.--Maybe even allowing private clubs to exist as smoker's refuges?

That way you can easily avoid them. Right?

kell490: 2nd hand smoke inside a room is a health hazard if someone wants to smoke that's their business but inside a room I don't want to be forced to breath it. I grew up in the 70-80's when smoking was legal in most places I remember my father smoking in his hospital bed recovering from surgery LOL. I grew up in a house full of smokers and I hope it never returns to those days. Probably the one reason I never took up smoking I can remember the most growing up was first thing it the morning all the smokers in my house coughing when they woke up. My parents both smoked and my brother and his wife smoked after he got out of the Army he moved back in with us for about 4 years while he went to school.

Hi, kell90:

What does that have to do with my post--the one that you were responding to?

Times have changed. Even if they lifted the indoor smoking ban, the overwhelming majority of business owners would not go back.

Are you afraid that all restaurants, bars, and stores would suddenly start allowing smoking, and that you would not be able to escape it, like in the old days?

The way things are now, with smokers having to go outside and smoke, you're much more likely to be exposed to it, like on the sidewalk, etc. (which is what the OP is about).

So, I offer a solution--let business owners decide whether they want to provide an indoor refuge for smokers and get them OFF the sidewalks, where the general public is.

You can choose to avoid such establishments.

Jo

Old 03-28-2018, 10:17 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
2nd hand smoke inside a room is a health hazard if someone wants to smoke that's their business but inside a room I don't want to be forced to breath it. I grew up in the 70-80's when smoking was legal in most places I remember my father smoking in his hospital bed recovering from surgery LOL. I grew up in a house full of smokers and I hope it never returns to those days. Probably the one reason I never took up smoking I can remember the most growing up was first thing it the morning all the smokers in my house coughing when they woke up. My parents both smoked and my brother and his wife smoked after he got out of the Army he moved back in with us for about 4 years while he went to school.
Under the compromise I mentioned earlier, you would not be forced to breathe second hand smoke. There would be a large sign on the door of those businesses that chose to be smoking-allowed, and you could choose to go to one of the myriad of non-smoking venues available instead. The only difference would be that people who did enjoy smoking or who did not mind being around smoking would not be forced to not have a place to have that option. Any objection to that is not about not wanting to be exposed to smoke; it's about control over others, pure and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events