Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 09:16 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
If a city lawmaker has his way, smoking and walking will soon be outlawed on city streets.

That’s the bill Councilman Peter Koo proposed on Thursday. If it passes, offenders would have to pay a $50 fine.

Ban On Smoking And Walking Potentially Coming To NYC Streets « CBS New York
Well, I'm not a smoker, but I think that's going too far. There really is little chance of secondhand smoke effects by someone walking past. Smoking is legal, after all.

This is really making smoking illegal, without actually passing such a law (which they can't, I think).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 09:55 PM

24,618 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
And walking behind fat people too ! Grosses me out. Ban Them From Walking.

Oh yeah, and those that wear too much perfume or cologne. Fine Them ! or Jail !

Please, just make a list of everything you don't like and and we'll see what we can do for you.
Unlike standing behind a fat person wearing cologne, cigarette smoke actually causes harm to the people around it.

I’m sure if you had a pregnant spouse she would love to be around smokers.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:12 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Unlike standing behind a fat person wearing cologne, cigarette smoke actually causes harm to the people around it.

There are people that insist that smelling scents they don't like makes them physically ill and it shouldn't be allowed, as well. There are people wanting to legislate what foods/drinks other people are allowed to consume. As soon as the smokers and those who eat things that others deem bad for them are brought to heel, I can easily see those who like scent being the next target. Because since this kind of impulse is never about the target and always about the person who NEEDS a target to control (that is their particular addiction), there must always be one. I said something about this right here on C-D years ago about smoking, and that the next target would be food. I was pooh-poohed mightily by the anti-smokers, they just didn't want to be exposed to it, and within two months there were trans-fat laws being passed in two major cities.

The city council in Austin, a few years ago, came up with a brilliant solution when the anti-smokers insisted that it wasn't that they wanted to control others, it was that they didn't want to be exposed to second-hand smoke. Fine. Smoking was banned in public buildings, except that the owners of bars could determine if allowing smoking in their facilities was the best thing for their businesses. If they did, they could pay a hefty fee and jump through some hoops, one of which was putting a big sign on the front door warning anyone entering that smoking was allowed, and register their business as a smoking-allowed business. That way, smokers had a few (out of hundreds) of places where they could go, have some bar food and drinks, listen to some music, and enjoy a cigarette after their meal. Perfect, right?

The anti-smokers had screaming fits about it. Made themselves so annoying that the city council rescinded the exception. And, in the process, the anti-smokers exposed their lie. It wasn't that they, themselves, didn't want to be exposed to second-hand smoke. It was that they did not want ANYONE enjoying something they disapproved of even if they never had to see it.

When called on this their claim was that they were protecting the employees who were being forced to be exposed to second-hand smoke. The employees of the smoking allowed establishments? Were smokers themselves who were delighted to have a place where they could smoke without being treated like pariahs.

Like I said, control of others is the addiction of these people.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:23 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So pass them. I hate walking behind slow people. Ban slow people......or pass them.
Not so easy if you are stuck walking in a crowd, wall to wall full of people, on Manhattan streets.
I had experienced that before. One guy walking in a crowd and smoking, and all of the people behind him unhappy, but they couldn't do anything because they are boxed in on a sidewalk. You have to walk all the way to the intersection to change lanes away from the smoker.

This is not an issue on non-crowded streets.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:54 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
There are people that insist that smelling scents they don't like makes them physically ill and it shouldn't be allowed, as well. There are people wanting to legislate what foods/drinks other people are allowed to consume. As soon as the smokers and those who eat things that others deem bad for them are brought to heel, I can easily see those who like scent being the next target. Because since this kind of impulse is never about the target and always about the person who NEEDS a target to control (that is their particular addiction), there must always be one. I said something about this right here on C-D years ago about smoking, and that the next target would be food. I was pooh-poohed mightily by the anti-smokers, they just didn't want to be exposed to it, and within two months there were trans-fat laws being passed in two major cities.

The city council in Austin, a few years ago, came up with a brilliant solution when the anti-smokers insisted that it wasn't that they wanted to control others, it was that they didn't want to be exposed to second-hand smoke. Fine. Smoking was banned in public buildings, except that the owners of bars could determine if allowing smoking in their facilities was the best thing for their businesses. If they did, they could pay a hefty fee and jump through some hoops, one of which was putting a big sign on the front door warning anyone entering that smoking was allowed, and register their business as a smoking-allowed business. That way, smokers had a few (out of hundreds) of places where they could go, have some bar food and drinks, listen to some music, and enjoy a cigarette after their meal. Perfect, right?

The anti-smokers had screaming fits about it. Made themselves so annoying that the city council rescinded the exception. And, in the process, the anti-smokers exposed their lie. It wasn't that they, themselves, didn't want to be exposed to second-hand smoke. It was that they did not want ANYONE enjoying something they disapproved of even if they never had to see it.

When called on this their claim was that they were protecting the employees who were being forced to be exposed to second-hand smoke. The employees of the smoking allowed establishments? Were smokers themselves who were delighted to have a place where they could smoke without being treated like pariahs.

Like I said, control of others is the addiction of these people.

Just to be clear, the default state is air, not toxic hydrocarbons, and not burning things rather than burning stuff. You think its weird to legislate to preserve the natural, default state but you got some weird burning-toxic-plant-leaves & chemicals-indoors-hobby....

Upside down.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:36 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Luck of the draw...........I have had this problem in hotels and motels. Smoke-infiltrations mainly has to do with the design of the room and how tightly it is sealed-up. The last room that I had a big problem with, had a pass-through door to the other room.......although closed, it had a significant gap that let the stinky, reeking smoke through.

I stay in budget motels and hotels.......my estimate is 90+% of the people who stay at budget-motels smoke. And yes, they smoke in their rooms.....smoking or non-smoking, does not really matter.

Law, rules and regulations on smoking are rarely enforced and ignored on a constant basis.
Again thats your issue. Stay at a real hotel the offers customer service and they will move you to a room that doesn't smell so horrible.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:45 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
If the city is so against tobacco usage then ban the sale of cigarettes in NYC! Oh wait they don't want to lose the cash cow it represents...

Old 03-26-2018, 02:14 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Not so easy if you are stuck walking in a crowd, wall to wall full of people, on Manhattan streets.
I had experienced that before. One guy walking in a crowd and smoking, and all of the people behind him unhappy, but they couldn't do anything because they are boxed in on a sidewalk. You have to walk all the way to the intersection to change lanes away from the smoker.

This is not an issue on non-crowded streets.
And this is exactly what happens getting off the ferry, especially during peak times. It's wall to wall people all crowded into a narrow walkway all the way to the building. And sidewalks aren't that wide, either.

And for those who think it's no big deal for other people to walk through second hand smoke, an allergy is nothing to wave off. If you have to breathe in someone else's cigarette smoke, you're going to be sick and coughing the rest of the day if you're allergic to it.

I just equate cigarette smoking with bad body odor. I can't imagine anyone, even a cigarette smoker, wanting to be around someone who has such horrible body odor it might cause a person to vomit. But to millions of non-smokers, you smokers smell exactly like that. As a non-smoker, I can tell you smoke from 50 feet away, just from your smell.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:00 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Standing behind a fat person wearing cologne may not bother you, but it ruins my day. I have to live with that visual for days. Also, the too much cologne/perfume people causes my throat to dry and itchy, makes me gag.

News flash for people who think smoking will kill you - you are going to dye anyways. But, if everyone would just do things my way it would be a wonderful world. Oh wait, it is a wonderful world ! Control freaks haven't seemed to figure that out. I heard someone say that the air/oxygen on this planet is toxic. It is the biggest killer, only very few people live more than 100 years.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:09 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And this is exactly what happens getting off the ferry, especially during peak times. It's wall to wall people all crowded into a narrow walkway all the way to the building. And sidewalks aren't that wide, either.

And for those who think it's no big deal for other people to walk through second hand smoke, an allergy is nothing to wave off. If you have to breathe in someone else's cigarette smoke, you're going to be sick and coughing the rest of the day if you're allergic to it.

I just equate cigarette smoking with bad body odor. I can't imagine anyone, even a cigarette smoker, wanting to be around someone who has such horrible body odor it might cause a person to vomit. But to millions of non-smokers, you smokers smell exactly like that. As a non-smoker, I can tell you smoke from 50 feet away, just from your smell.
How would you feel about letting bar/tavern owners decide whether to allow smoking in their establishment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events