Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:13 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times

Advertisements

I would really like to see them name him John, in honor of Prince John, the younger brother of Edward VIII and George VI, who died tragically at 13 of an epileptic seizure. He wasn't "perfect", so they hid him away for most of his childhood in the care of his nanny. A sad, sad story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 10:07 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Its an irony. The women of that family are classy, yet keep popping out average looking men.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I would really like to see them name him John, in honor of Prince John, the younger brother of Edward VIII and George VI, who died tragically at 13 of an epileptic seizure. He wasn't "perfect", so they hid him away for most of his childhood in the care of his nanny. A sad, sad story.
There's a recent documentary on YouTube which indicates that more recent research shows that John was not as completely isolated and rejected by his family as was once believe (sorry, I saw it several months ago and don't have a link). Instead, his mother, Queen Mary, worried tremendously about him and wrote and visited him regularly, as did several of his brothers and his sister. Wasn't the cottage where John lived on the grounds of Sandringham? If so, his family could have easily visited him whenever they were in residence.

John had playmates, and was particularly close to a little neighbor girl who was interviewed in late old age about her crystal clear childhood memories of Prince John, who had learning difficulties (he had difficulty retaining what he was taught and had a short attention span - ADD or ADHD?), but who appears to have been a handsome, tall, mischievous, active, friendly, sweet-natured and affectionate child.

John also enjoyed helping with simple household and farm tasks and was well-liked by the staff who were in charge of such activities. It is thought he may also have been on the spectrum for autism, but was clearly high-functioning, though a "quirky" little boy. He had several topics and hobbies about which he was intensely interested and very well-informed, and could talk at length about them.

It is a tragedy that medications (or diet modification) were not available to help control John's seizures, and that his learning difficulties were unable to be assessed and dealt with as they would be today ( Princess Beatrice is dyslexic, but with proper instruction, graduated from college). John did learn to read and write, and wrote letters to his family regularly, but at an elementary level - of course, he was still just a child when he died.

However - given that the much earlier medieval King John had such a totally rotten reputation (deserved), I doubt if that otherwise fine name will be used again in the royal family. My bet is on Arthur, Philip, or Michael, or some combination. Those three names sound best in that order, I think.

Though Princess Diana's father's name was "John"...so who knows?? We'll all know in a few days!

Old 04-23-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Its an irony. The women of that family are classy, yet keep popping out average looking men.
Guess it depends on what you consider handsome.

Little George is a beautiful child and is likely to become a stunningly handsome man. Harry is a hunk. William was very good-looking (he has Diana's eyes, though he does not use them as effectively as she did) before his hair loss drew more attention to his rather unfortunate mouth.

Princess Anne's son is very good-looking. Prince Edward's young James is an attractive child. Prince Andrew was very attractive in his younger days, but has lost much of his earlier looks. Charles has not aged well - he never was conventionally handsome, but had his day, in the decade prior to marrying Diana, when he was considered very dashing. Prince Edward was a pretty child, but comes across as wimpy now - more mannerisms than looks, I think. Some of the extended royals are very attractive, both male and female members - check out the queen's cousins.

Fortunately, looks are not what it's all about in the royal or any other family.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:56 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm betting on Phillip. And that's a nice name.
I'm betting Phillip too. Kind of a 2 in 1 deal there-- honors Will's grandfather and Kate's sister too.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:25 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
My husband always says Queen Elizabeth's side of the family are not great looking ( well, his description is worse but we'll leave it at that), and for sure Prince Charles is no raving beauty, LOL. But IMHO his boys must have taken after their mother, Princess Diana, and I think they're handsome- or at least good looking. To me Prince William looks a lot like his mother ( I see it in his eyes and mouth), and Harry? Well, not sure just who he looks like, but I think it must come from Diana's side of the family.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
My husband always says Queen Elizabeth's side of the family are not great looking ( well, his description is worse but we'll leave it at that), and for sure Prince Charles is no raving beauty, LOL. But IMHO his boys must have taken after their mother, Princess Diana, and I think they're handsome- or at least good looking. To me Prince William looks a lot like his mother ( I see it in his eyes and mouth), and Harry? Well, not sure just who he looks like, but I think it must come from Diana's side of the family.
Harry's red hair is a Spencer trait, but to me, he is looking more and more like Prince Charles did as a young man as he (Harry) matures, particularly through the middle face: cheekbones, nose, etc. So much so that it sets questions about his paternity at rest entirely.

Queen Elizabeth and her late sister, Princess Margaret, were very attractive young women - and the queen still is a knock-out. They both were blessed with oval faces, thick wavy dark hair, large bright blue eyes, and fine-textured fair skin. Large noses, though...

Their mother was considered quite a beauty in her youth, and their g-grandmother, Queen Alexandra, was stunning. Of course, some of their other ancestors were not so gifted with pulchritude. The Queen always has looked a LOT like her own grandmother, Queen Mary. So does little Princess Charlotte - it's rather entertaining to see such strong genes surfacing in Charlotte all these years later.

Little Prince George is a mini-me of Michael Middleton, but has Diana's coloring. The new baby looks as if he is fair skinned with very light eyebrows, and he appears to resemble his big brother more than his sister. Time will tell.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:43 PM

736 posts, read 455,805 times
Congrats British taxpayers...another "royal" mouth to feed.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:48 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
BBC is reporting that Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, is in early labor.
Does anyone really care?

Old 04-23-2018, 04:48 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
Congrats British taxpayers...another "royal" mouth to feed.
This is on our radio some today and some of the commentators are saying what do those royals do all day...and it's true they don't work, so just hang around and be royal. Happy for the new baby. I'm hearing Arthur a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events