Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 08:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Get this!

I had a two year old and a 4 month old. I had a back patio door that would sort of close on it's own, but it wouldn't lock. So one day I stepped out on the back patio while the two year old and 4 month old were in the living room, and the door closed - and immediately my two year old ran over there and LOCKED THE DOOR.

My front door was locked. I had to call the MPs (we lived on a military installation), from next door because this was before cell phones. I could SEE the MP station from my house! But while I was standing outside on the patio, talking with the two year old and saying, "OK, honey, open the door for Mommy!" she got this evil look on her face and went over to the baby and started hitting her on the diaper and dragging her around the floor on the blanket! And of course the baby started crying.

Then the MPs got there, and they said "We have to break down the front door." So they did so, which of course scared my toddler to pieces! It was crazy!

Good idea though to always lock the car doors (which I do now).
My toddler ran over as I had stepped outside, and shut the slider. I believe the door locked automatically because I had not flipped up the lock. (Memory fuzzy here). As soon as the door shut, with me saying”No!”, toddler started crying. I had to use neighbor’s phone to call DH who came home to unlock the front door.

Little ones do unexpected things. But yeah, lock the car doors parents.

I remember reading about a lost toddler who was ultimately found dead, after a long, frantic search, inside a cedar chest. Little kids do dangerous stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 01:51 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
My local newspaper had an article about Ross Harris seeking a new trial…it happened here in metro Atlanta. I was sure he was guilty, but now some stuff seems questionable, like law enforcement lied and misrepresented his computer searches and so on.

https://www.al.com/news/2021/05/just...outputType=amp

Old 06-14-2021, 08:29 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
Nine-month-old baby dies after being left in hot car for several hours in Pace

Quote:
A nine-month-old child died in Pace last week after being left for several hours inside a locked hot car, according to the Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office.

The SRSO announced Monday that it had launched an investigation into the death. No arrests had been made in the case as of Monday afternoon.

The SRSO received a 911 call about the child at about 7:45 p.m. Wednesday from a caller who said the baby was found unresponsive in a car parked in the 4600 block of Ephrem Lane in Pace.
Toddler dies in hot car

A 2-year-old died in a hot car in Iberia Parish today.

Quote:
Iberia Parish Sheriff's detectives are investigating the death, which happened Monday afternoon at about 2 p.m., a spokeswoman says.

Deputies were called to the 700 block of Fox Road, and found a two-year-old boy was left inside a vehicle for an extended period of time.

The child was pronounced dead at the scene by the Iberia Parish Coroner’s Office.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:36 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,971,294 times
This most recent one sounds like both are neighborhoods. WTF?

I mean, it might sort of "make sense" if the kid was found in a car in a parking lot at the parent's workplace ("forgot they had the kid today") or at a store ("left it in the car to run in just for a minute,"), but who "forgets" a kid in a car at their own house, or goes to a friend's/relative's house and leaves the kid in the car??

Old 09-10-2021, 12:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Sad. It's happened again. One year old girl dies in hot car after mom didn't drop her off at daycare.

In this case, as in the others, I truly believe the parent forgot and will spend a lifetime blaming themselves.

But holy cow. Her ability to completely forget what she was about to do - take the baby with her to run errands - is a twist that you don't see often. The mom PURPOSELY left the baby in the car, and then forgot immediately that it was her intent to do that.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...3-2ca3529753ce

Old 09-10-2021, 12:48 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,237,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
But holy cow. Her ability to completely forget what she was about to do - take the baby with her to run errands - is a twist that you don't see often. The mom PURPOSELY left the baby in the car, and then forgot immediately that it was her intent to do that.
That's when it happens more often than not. Something is slightly different from the regular routine, and lots of parents operate on autopilot in the morning.

This was 100% my biggest fear when my kids were little, to the point that I would go and check the car multiple times a day. Thank goodness they are now old enough to get out of the car.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
That's when it happens more often than not. Something is slightly different from the regular routine, and lots of parents operate on autopilot in the morning.

This was 100% my biggest fear when my kids were little, to the point that I would go and check the car multiple times a day. Thank goodness they are now old enough to get out of the car.
Right - it's when routines are altered.

But - this was her plan. To go do whatever it was (a doc's appointment maybe? a photo session? whatever she was planning to do with the baby but not her older children?).

She completely forgot about those plans, and went straight home instead. It doesn't seem she could have thought . . . "I think I'll switch my day around, and do that stuff with the baby later, and work out instead".

That would have triggered her remembering the baby involved.

I still do believe her, and know she's in terrible pain.

This is just one step removed, IMHO, from the usual parent who puts their brain on autopilot and drives to work.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:24 PM

So far this year there's been 20 child deaths due to being left in hot cars.

Last year's total of 26 deaths was lowest since this number started being tracked in 2017.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:15 AM

Sheriff: No charges filed in the death of SC twin infants

Quote:
Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott says no charges are being filed in the death of twin infants that died after being left in a hot car.

Reports say deputies were called to the Sunshine House Early Learning Academy around 5:30 p.m. on September 1 with reports of two unresponsive infants.

Deputies say when they got to the scene, the 20-month-old twins Brycen and Brayden were inside their father's car.

They were pronounced dead by EMS. Richland County Coroner Naida Rutherford ruled their cause of death as hyperthermia.

Sheriff Leon Lott says when the Richland County Sheriff Department interviewed the father of the twins, he thought he dropped the boys off at daycare that morning. When he went to pick up the boys, he was told by daycare workers that the twins had not been dropped off that day.

“It’s just a horrible tragic accident that occurred," said Lott.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:27 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

You ever notice how often there's some sympathetic it-could-have-happened-to-any-of-us sheriff involved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events