Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 01:16 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Well, I did say I evaluate the setting. I probably would have been on the slide with my 8 year old. I am not one of those parents who tell my child to do something by themselves and call it independence.
It is possible the 8 year old did have a parent or older sibling on the water slide with him. And the hulking beast attacked him anyway.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:21 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,863,407 times
Believe me if you lived around here, you'd know there is a lot of news about mentally disabled / mentally ill people and the incidents surrounding them and their freedoms.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:24 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Believe me if you lived around here, you'd know there is a lot of news about mentally disabled / mentally ill people and the incidents surrounding them and their freedoms.
Well, MN is one of the most liberal states. Glad I don't live there anymore, the way this case is being handled is simply appalling.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:29 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It is possible the 8 year old did have a parent or older sibling on the water slide with him. And the hulking beast attacked him anyway.
Yes. It is possible.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:40 PM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think it’s enough though, insurance has a limit on out of pocket maximum, and it’s less than that. I always thought it a bit overkill when people raise $200,000 for something that won’t cost nearly that. Spread it around. There are tons of family’s at children’s hospitals who don’t have insurance or who are paying for hotels while their kids are sick. Donate to Ronald McDonald House and help hundreds of families. I think people are getting tired of them, frankly.
Number one, I hope someone will manage it properly.

Out of pocket can be high depending if they have insurance. If he needs a psych or not. My daughter's psych was $80, 10 years ago. My friend said her insurance covers a few visits then it's all out of pocket. He's at an age where he may suffer a lot emotionally, having nightmares. Can you imagine that for the rest of your life?

As for go fund me's in general I do agree. Did you see how high the duck boat survivors fund got? It was over $800k. It originally opened for all deceased funeral and the 2 survivors then changed to only the one lady who lost her hub and kids. Then there were 2 others opened that did not do well.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:59 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,921,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And I responded by pointing out the exact post that made me realize another poster would be fine with him being back in that water park the next weekend, this time with better supervision.

To me, that means no consequences. None whatsoever.

But that's not fair for me to put words in another poster's mouth and expound on what he stated. I'm just able to cite what they state in black and white. "Yes, I'd be fine with him being anywhere in public". Next week implied, as that was the question he was responding to.

But honestly. This is getting even more awkward. If you believe the poster misspoke, or misstated his/her opinion when writing that post, ask them for clarification.

It's there. In black and white. Although in retrospect, it's possible the poster has reconsidered his opinion and no longer believes what he stated.
I don't believe anything about that poster's intention.

I'm asking you why you believe what you do about what they posted.

You're right, you shouldn't out words in their mouth. Nothing they said means "not accountable"

Old 08-12-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Idk why it matters to people in this thread whether he's a sociopath, psychopath, retarded, possessed by the devil or anything else. The only thing that matters to me is what he did and the reasoning he used to do it. Based on that he has no business free on bail today, none whatsoever.
The "reasoning he used to do it" could be pretty closely tied to them being a sociopath or developmentally disabled, no?

Old 08-12-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Maybe the lifegaurd incident wasn't reprted as an assault because they were being too overly sensitive to the rights of a mentally incompetant person. Maybe people like CBeisbol approve of the way that was handled?
I don't know how it was handled nor the facts of the incident

I neither approve nor disapprove.

Amazing that a functionally intelligent person could think otherwise

Old 08-12-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Can you imagine the decreased attendance?

Enough of the conjecture
LOL

Got to love when people contradict themselves within like three sentences of their own argument

Old 08-12-2018, 02:09 PM

1,078 posts, read 937,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The article states that he has developmental disabilities, not mental.

Whatever the case may be, he should not be around people without the immediate observation and supervision of his paid attendant. She should also be charged, since she wasn't even near his vicinity when this happened.

A broken femur is a very serious injury. If the eight year old does recover, he will likely never fully recover. This is such a shockingly bad incident. I am horrified to think of what either set of parents is going through.
FYI, developmental disabilities tends to refer to cognition and decisionmaking capacity, moreso than physical development. What he did was wrong and he should be charged and punished, according to the severity of the crime and his understanding and awareness of the situation, but he may well be impaired to the point that it would be unreasonable to charge him with the same severity as an adult of the same age who had normal range cognitive function.

It really depends and that is where expert testimony/diagnostic teams would be a big help for the case when it goes in front of the judge and jury.

Last edited by Schmooky; 08-12-2018 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Typo fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events