Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 06:29 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times

Advertisements

https://abc7ny.com/11-year-old-dies-...on-li/4080213/

Headlines lacking additional information. Something very wrong here. Was this 11 year old a special needs girl? How many pre-teens don't know how to open a car door from inside? Does not matter if car was locked from outside with windows rolled up, or if it had child safety lock, it can still be opened from inside.

Mom forgot her older daughter? Hello, if she had younger children you would think she would want her older daughter inside helping her with her younger siblings? Did she have a fight with her Mom and refused to get out of the car? Very possible at that age.

While an 11 year old is still a child, she is definitely NOT a baby. Too much missing information. What I get from the headline is that "see you cannot trust pre-teens to be responsible for themselves".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 08:03 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Yeah, that's weird... my niece is 11 years old, and knows how to do basic coding and play chess. So I'm quite sure she could figure out how to unlock a car door! Even if the child locks were engaged, you can still open the driver's-side door. Something is fishy here.

The article does say the CSI unit was gathering evidence, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what they find (if anything). Sad story, regardless.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:05 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, that's weird... my niece is 11 years old, and knows how to do basic coding and play chess. So I'm quite sure she could figure out how to unlock a car door! Even if the child locks were engaged, you can still open the driver's-side door. Something is fishy here.
Or beep the horn to be let out.

I wonder if she was somehow already unconscious, if she was ill or something and that was why she didn't get out of the car in the first place.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:45 PM

5,584 posts, read 6,514,131 times
"There is always more to the story"..............I did not read the story.

My comment is that she was already unconscious and was made to look like she died from being in a hot car, unless she was a handicapped (mentally or physically) child who really could not get out or honk the horn for help.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:15 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
It seems that this was a special needs child but still very sad.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/28/11-yea...-hot-car-cops/

Old 08-29-2018, 06:52 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
My guess is that typically, one of the siblings always assists their sister with getting out of the car, and for whatever reason this time the siblings were distracted and not thinking.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:10 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Parents need to be held accountable. None of this, well they are suffering enough. They should be charged. Animal parents also. How stupid can one be, to leave a child or animal in a car that gets over 100 degrees. :mad

Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,295,317 times
There may have been child locks on the door.

As an imperfect person, I have a hard time feeling anything, but sympathy for parents who make an honest mistake.

We went camping several years ago. My son was probably five years old. He asked if he could go back in the vehicle to get something and I let him. He didn't show back up in a few minutes. I found him in the vehicle profusely sweating and crying. He couldn't get out the side door because of the child locks and didn't know enough to climb in the front seat.

One of my neighbors passed away inside of her car. She had gone outside to get into glove box. We aren't sure what happened, but maybe she fainted or just wasn't feeling well. The door was closed and the car was not turned on. It was summer. She lived with her elderly mother. She was dead by the time her mother found her.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
I won't berate the mother / parents in these cases. They will suffer the rest of their lives knowing their child died because of their actions and that's punishment enough. It's an incredibly sad and tragic accident and I eagerly await new technology to help prevent this from happening.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:29 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
(snip)
One of my neighbors passed away inside of her car. She had gone outside to get into glove box. We aren't sure what happened, but maybe she fainted or just wasn't feeling well. The door was closed and the car was not turned on. It was summer. She lived with her elderly mother. She was dead by the time her mother found her.
I can see how something like that could happen. I was mailing a package and stopped at Walgreens to pick up a couple of items to pack in the box. Without really thinking about it (or turning on the car and the air conditioner), I just went into the back seat to add the extra items on top and seal up the package. It was only a very, very few minutes (probably less than five minutes) in the closed car and I became sweaty, light headed and almost fainted. I immediately opened up the door, but since there was no wind, it really did not cool me down very much, but at least I wasn't trapped, wasn't quite as faint and could call for help if I needed to do that.

I knew that cars can heat up very fast, but I was absolutely shocked to discover how fast they really do heat up. Very honestly, I could have died and left everyone wondering how a 66 year old woman, of sound mind, could have gotten trapped inside her own car. I will never again sit in a closed car, in summer, without turning on the air conditioner first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events