Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 05:37 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times

Advertisements

For some time, I've not answered calls that simply show a city, state on the caller ID - or from names of individuals I don't know. (Answering them seems to only confirm that one has an active number, which increases the calls .... election season was the pits!)

The No More Robo Calls service (NOMOROBO) is available for many phone companies (just recently came to Cox in our area). It's a free service that re-routes and truncates robo calls after one ring. Thus far, it seems to be working very well.

I still getting annoying recorded calls from a couple of locations where they seem to dynamically change 2-4 of the the last 4-digits of their phone number, making it difficult to use call-blocker, since they require a 10-digit number.

Little by little, technology is cutting-down unwanted advertising calls, but, the pests seem to also use technology to defeat these efforts. No wonder people are ditching their land lines, but, they've also figured-out how to use those. (The Nomorobo service also works there, but, on a fee basis).

--- Of course, intrusive 'pop-ups' have now become the 'robo calls' of the internet - while TV showtimes have been extended to increase commercials; however, there are also pop-up blockers and multi-channel DVR's to counter those.

Last edited by jghorton; 12-04-2018 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 07:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My friends bought a thing on QVC that connects to their phone. If a junk call happens, they hit a red button and it blocks any further calls. My phones are old, so it’s labor intensive to block calls and I can only block 30.
Except they typically don't continue calling with the same number.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:23 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,962,513 times
sometimes i answer, sometimes i do not.
it makes no difference either way, since they are random.
when i have time, i answer questions with nonsense responses.
examples: mayonnaise, hippopotamus, or Tegucigalpa.
if it is a really, really good AI robo-call...it could continue.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:52 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
they probably appreciate the conversation and posted your number on the Telmarketer Virtual Bulletin Board under the heading "For a good time call..."
I answer and pretend like it's a bad connection, then when I think they're about to hang up I make like I can hear them. Repeat until they get tired of it.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:58 PM

11,340 posts, read 16,695,644 times
Lately....When getting a scam call, I've been answering the phone with a deep slow voice....

It's....over....but there's blood everywhere...gotta go and clean up.....click.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:28 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Why not try to scam them when a live person calls back, or keep calling the number they called you from, like 15 times a day, tell them you just found out about this amazing investment opportunity and you are hoping they would be interested in hearing about it, get around to asking for a 'small' donation!!

Maybe they will throw your number out, thinking they have accidentally called a fellow scammer!

Old 12-04-2018, 10:36 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,442 times
My mother has been getting calls that ID's from a local hospital. She's afraid to not answer, when she sees that light up.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:00 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Blocking the number or calling back won't do any good; they spoof the number, so it probably belongs to a real person.

I was getting several calls a day with the same robot message (about a car warranty) that appeared to be from different numbers. I stopped answering, and eventually the calls stopped.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:46 AM

24,608 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Blocking the number or calling back won't do any good; they spoof the number, so it probably belongs to a real person.
Actually, cell phone providers are fixing it. My provider is att and I recently enrolled into a new (free) option that permits att to block these robocalls. I don’t know how they did it, but I have yet to get 1 single robocall after doing it.

Before that, I had countless robocalls about my factory warranty.

Time will tell if the scammers are able to bypass it but at this point, cell providers are finally doing something effective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I stopped answering, and eventually the calls stopped.
Not answering doesn’t make a difference. They still call with different random numbers, knowing you’ll accidentally pick up on one of them, and they leave voicemails.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:33 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
To me I would never buy from any aggressive salesperson. Robocallers represent the worst of the worst. They steal our time and bother us with products and services that we don't want or need. I have to wonder if they really get people to agree because they wear our defenses down over time? Maybe they count on us becoming senile or developing Alzheimer's? To me, some of the most persistent callers should be locked up! I had one company that called me virtually everyday for two months after my wife died. They have no sympathy, they have no morals, the only thing they want is our money!

I have caller ID and my phone company will probably assist with blocking some of these calls. But I still have times where I am expecting important calls and pick up on the first ring without looking. In PA some of the worst telemarketers are working for the competing electric companies. If somebody wants me to switch my electric company that bad; it is a good reason not to switch! It's like all of the TV commercials to buy gold, silver or course to get rich - if this is so great; why don't they simply buy, become rich, live wonderful lives, and leave us alone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events