Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times

Advertisements

As I posted in an earlier thread about this problem, I either hang up immediately or if I feel like it, use an ancient old geezer voice and country accent to "witness" for a small foreign charity which serves orphans. I go on and on about those pore leetle cheeldren, and how Jesus wonts us to halp widders and orfants, and wind up asking if the caller doesn't want to donate?? When they say no, I respond "I'll pray fer ye, honey" and hang up.

They don't call back.

(The little foreign charity is quite real: see Bible Orphan Ministry, in Ukraine. They do great work with over 1,000 kids in ten different orphanages, on a shoestring budget, and are honest and very upright folks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 09:56 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,030 times
I call and receive calls from 3-4 people. I mainly use my phone to listen to books and music and as a way to contact my DH when we are in different rooms.

I never (truly never) text. Just this week I have been receiving texts from someone: Hi! This is Candy, I got your number from our friend, she said you like to party and so do I! We should get to know each other!

When I blocked that number I received another text from a different number. When I blocked that number I was bombarded with texts from different numbers. The same thing happened the next day. I ended up having to disable the app completely.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:57 AM

2,503 posts, read 2,071,405 times
I have found one thing, they don't seem to call on weekends, so I can take my phone off the do not disturb setting Saturday and Sunday. post#42

^^^Yes they do!!
Darn it, and was I surprised.
Told him this was the sheriff's dept, and boy, did he apologize. lol....i prob shouldn't say that???

Old 12-07-2018, 02:57 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,711 times
[quote=VTsnowbird;53805973]they are all spoofing numbers now. I have a hard time figuring out how to answer my cell (swiping is involved) and I have seen an out of state number, that I couldn't answer in time, change to a local number once I went to recent history, right before my eyes.}

I am so happy to learn I have a kindred spirit . I have a newish Moto G6 phone and I HATE answering a phone call! The "Dismiss / Accept" screen at the top is small and doesn't stay on long, and if I miss it I have NOT been able to find how to answer the phone while it is still ringing no matter how I swipe!! I go to the Phone icon and that still doesn't do it....I can't get the "accept" option back. Drives me nuts. I HATE talking on a cellphone anyway; I mainly text and do Facebook etc.I always tell people if they know I'm home, call the home phone. It's attached to a fax machine (which I don't use) and has a real handset
But the Caller ID window is great, haha.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:42 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,976 times
I don't get that many spam calls...mebbie 'cause I don't answer.
Any number I don't recognize, I ignore. If it's important, they'll leave a message.
If a number calls a second time, with no message, they get blocked.
Many of the spam calls are spoofed numbers from my town.
I even got calls from "me." If I wanna talk to myself, I don't need the phone.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:07 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My friends bought a thing on QVC that connects to their phone. If a junk call happens, they hit a red button and it blocks any further calls. My phones are old, so it’s labor intensive to block calls and I can only block 30.
If you have a home phone sign up for nomorobo.com It is free for landlines and does get a lot of them, especially recorded calls. If you have a cell phone and are thinking of a new number because of the annoyance, get it from an area code you don't have any friends from (yes you can do that) and then with an app block all calls from that area code. The majority, though not all, spam calls are spoofed numbers from your area code. If the state has several area codes and you know no one from that state, block them all. With a cell phone they will go through to your messages; however very few spammers actually leave a message.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:58 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I never answer my phone anymore, unless I know the number that is calling me. So annoying, something really needs to be done about this
There is nothing they can do. I already called the State Senator and AG and they don't have the technology to counteract it right now.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:25 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I never answer my phone anymore, unless I know the number that is calling me. So annoying, something really needs to be done about this
Sad....but I'm the same way. If I don't know the number, it's not getting answered, period!

Some days I get three or four scam/telemarketing calls. I had my own phone number pop up once when one called me.

They can program any number they want to show up, so blocking numbers won't help.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:11 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Maybe it was a Terminator calling to check if you are on The List.

Nah, joking, who know nowadays......so many scammers and ways to make money off personal-data.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:09 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Why not try to scam them when a live person calls back, or keep calling the number they called you from, like 15 times a day, tell them you just found out about this amazing investment opportunity and you are hoping they would be interested in hearing about it, get around to asking for a 'small' donation!!

Maybe they will throw your number out, thinking they have accidentally called a fellow scammer!
Well because they are probably faking the caller id and you would only be disturbing an innocent person. My husband’s number was used by some scammer and someone called him and left a message so we called him back informing him it was a scammer using a faked caller id.

You can do this if they are a robo call leaving you a number to call back though.

We only have cell phones. I block all calls not in my contacts or the area code where I currently live which is not the same area code my phone has. Everything else is blocked and goes to voice mail which 99% of scammers don’t use. A real person will leave a message and I add them to my contacts if valid. If you have a home phone I reccommend nomorobo. They even get political calls. It is not perfect but you can report numbers that get through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events