Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 10:06 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times

Advertisements

You saw one like this just about every Christmas season in the Fifties and Sixties when I was growing up; a Christmas-morning fire in an impoverished, usually minority female-headed household with multiple fatalities. Meager gifts under a shoddily-improvised tree that dead children never got the chance to open.

It probably will still happen from time to time, but with diminishing frequency; and the basic progress behind this betterment of the human condition has nothing to do with politics or ideology. It came about because of small measures by all of us, aided by responsible journalism attached to no agenda other than better treatment of our fellow man.

Almost entirely, that is: because one of the biggest advances along these lines came with the opening of more-challenging, and better-paying opportunities in both the public and private sectors to those formerly excluded by "gentlemens'(?) agreements" between those in position sf power -- not just urban politicians and private-sector managers, but occasionally with the cooperation of labor union officials.

And it shouldn't be forgotten that the expansion of educational opportunities also played an important part.

So I hope that some of us will pause in this holiday season to ponder the sad stories that no longer are so frequently written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 03:13 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Either I need more coffee or that made no sense. (Or both)

Old 12-26-2018, 03:21 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
or, perhaps, it is due to more people using smoke detectors.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:42 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
And safer electrical codes.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:02 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Either I need more coffee or that made no sense. (Or both)
You need to have had three super egg nogs like the OP for it to make sense.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:12 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
What did I just read?

Was this just an elaborate way to say houses aren't burning down today as much as they were 50 years ago?

Old 12-26-2018, 09:14 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
For all you peddlers of one-line short-think answers, the point is this:

Human progress is not instantaneous; the technology behind smoke detectors has been around for at least the better part of a century, but was expensive when it began -- it took time for it to develop into something suited for a larger, residence-centered mass market.

And in too may of those bitter stories I recall from my teens, Jim Crow laws were a factor; laws designed to keep those with dreams from advancing, and usually supported most strongly by the not-too-bright who were only one rung higher on the economic ladder.

This is the single most positive outcome of the "second round" of the civil rights struggle 1964-1975; not as many bitter stories had to be written, and no single group within the process had to be blamed by partisans with an axe to grind. But it's not going to draw much attention in the present polarization.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-26-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 12-26-2018, 10:15 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
You saw one like this just about every Christmas season in the Fifties and Sixties when I was growing up; a Christmas-morning fire in an impoverished, usually minority female-headed household with multiple fatalities. Meager gifts under a shoddily-improvised tree that dead children never got the chance to open.

It probably will still happen from time to time, but with diminishing frequency; and the basic progress behind this betterment of the human condition has nothing to do with politics or ideology. It came about because of small measures by all of us, aided by responsible journalism attached to no agenda other than better treatment of our fellow man.

Almost entirely, that is: because one of the biggest advances along these lines came with the opening of more-challenging, and better-paying opportunities in both the public and private sectors to those formerly excluded by "gentlemens'(?) agreements" between those in position sf power -- not just urban politicians and private-sector managers, but occasionally with the cooperation of labor union officials.

And it shouldn't be forgotten that the expansion of educational opportunities also played an important part.

So I hope that some of us will pause in this holiday season to ponder the sad stories that no longer are so frequently written.
I don't even a full carafe of coffee will make any sense of out this.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:20 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
There are always Christmas time fires around here in apartments in poor areas. Usually caused by carelessness. Then the collections for the families. Always happens.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:44 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Silly me. I thought a clarification would actually ... um ... clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events