Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 11:37 AM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Michael Landon died of pancreatic cancer a few months after being diagnosed. He was in his mid 50's. He went to Mexico for some experimental treatment but it didn't work. Patrick Swayze also died of pancreatic cancer. Unfortunately I expect Alex will also succumb to this disease especially at stage 4.
Landon did some crazy stuff.. Coffee enemas and the like trying to find a cure. I recall his final appearance on Carson they were joking about that and Carson said something like "Cream and sugar?"

Landon was pretty positive right up to the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 11:50 AM

17,207 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Alex Trebek was like everyone's TV father from my generation (I'm in my late 30's)
Pretty much this. I'm a mid-80s child, and the feeling is mutual.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Man this disease sucks...probably nothing worse you can hear a diagnosis of. Sorry to everyone who's lost someone from it. What's really scary is that there really is no idea what the cause is. At least with lung cancer you know what causes the vast majority of it, or colon cancer it's easily detectable.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:17 PM

988 posts, read 1,018,194 times
Yeah I'm 40 and grew up watching Jeopardy and this is one of those celebrity illnesses that really hits home. (I won't say "deaths" yet to try to be an optimist, although sadly I do not think that Mr. Trebek will live to see 2020.) I watched Jeopardy all the time in junior high school through college, and a friend of mine was even on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire in 1999. Alex Trebek always seemed like a scholarly gentleman, and I am very sorry to hear about his diagnosis.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:30 PM

10,359 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Too bad they did not catch it sooner. Would seeing a doctor annually for check ups have caught this sooner?
Unfortunately, no.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Landon did some crazy stuff.. Coffee enemas and the like trying to find a cure. I recall his final appearance on Carson they were joking about that and Carson said something like "Cream and sugar?"

Landon was pretty positive right up to the end.
Coffee enemas apparently do improve the quality of life for sufferers of pancreatic cancer.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:15 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
The only reason it 'seems to be on the increase' (to you) is that you're judging the rate of pancreatic cancer by how often you happen to notice it in the news or among acquaintances, which is a hopelessly small sample size and unscientific methodology.

In a quarter century, the rate of pancreatic cancer has barely moved, from 11/100k/year to about 12/100k/year. Increasing lifespans over that time accounts for this very small movement, and it's nothing that can be 'noticed' outside of large datasets.

https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/pancreas.html
I found this, from the pancreatic cancer network:

Quote:
Pancreatic Cancer Is on the Rise
Pancreatic cancer is indeed on the rise. Deaths caused by pancreatic cancer surpassed breast cancer a few years ago, and pancreatic cancer remains on track to overtake colorectal cancer to move to the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States around 2020.
Why is pancreatic cancer rising? There are many factors at work.
One is that research breakthroughs, improved treatments and better detection strategies in other cancers are allowing people to live longer. Another is that an aging population, changes in racial/ethnic demographics and increases in obesity and diabetes, two key risk factors for pancreatic cancer, contribute to more diagnoses and deaths from the disease.
https://www.pancan.org/news/increase...ected-in-2019/

Old 03-08-2019, 03:27 PM

1,665 posts, read 975,576 times
So sad. Just a few years ago I started watching Jeopardy! again. We used to watch it years back when I was growing up. I'm about the only one in the house that loves to challenge the show. I literally have a "scoreboard" with the values, even deduct when I'm wrong. Sometimes my wife tells me to try out for the show haha. Even our grandson comes and sit next to me when we're watching and when the final song comes on, he dances.

Alex will be missed by many. Stay strong sir.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:46 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Too bad they did not catch it sooner. Would seeing a doctor annually for check ups have caught this sooner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Unfortunately, no.
You would need to request a scan of some type, an ultrasound, MRI, or CT. That would most likely have to be paid out of pocket (unless you were having an abdominal scan for some other reason). There are some genetic tests that can tell you if you have an increased chance of developing pancreatic cancer, but those are not diagnostic tests.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Nah. Trebek epitomizes civility and gentlemanliness. If you think he's a snot then the problem is not him, it's you because you are always just far too sensitive and always imagining harm when none is there, and you so often say rude things to people who don't deserve it. Just like you are so uncouthly doing to Alex Trebek right now when he is dying and putting a good face on and all you can do is speak ill of him and call him a snot. You are consistently a rude and crude person who doesn't recognize goodness.

Zoisite, Trabek is rude. I'm very surprised that if you watch jeopardy you aren't acutely aware of that, and uncomfortable.

During some perfectly likable contestant's 15 minutes of fame, he mocks them. It happens when they return from their first commercial break and give their little story.

It's embarrassing and painful to watch, and not the least bit funny, although Trabek appears to think it's very funny.

I don't think it's been going on all that long - I only noticed it a couple years ago, but he says something openly humiliating to maybe 1 in 6 contestants.

Maybe you don't pay much attention to that portion of the show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events