Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:15 AM

497 posts, read 553,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I would like it to stay standard time year round. I like it when it gets dark early and hate it when it stays light late.
Well it would definitely get dark early running standard time year round. Without DST, the sun would be setting in San Diego at 6:59PM during the summer solstice. Sunsets during the 6 o'clock hour throughout the entire San Diego summer doesn't sound very appealing to me. After work, I'd much prefer searching for seashells by the San Diego sea shore in daylight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 12:05 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
I've never really bought into the whole notion of clocks forward, backward and all the effort that involves. I've noticed that sometimes I'm on time for my appointments, sometimes early and sometimes late, stuff gets done anyways.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:08 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
I'd prefer DST but I really just want one time year round. Changing it is really annoying and causes my sleep / routines to be messed up for a few weeks every 6 months or whatever.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:35 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
This is the height of stupidity.
The whole reason for "high noon" was that was when the sun was highest in the sky.
Shifting clocks one hour ahead does not "save" daylight.
Why not just shift standard business hours instead of the clocks?
"High noon" hasn't existed anywhere since 1883 when the time zones were created, to give uniform time. The times zones are already shifted west from high noon. Daylight Saving Time just shifts them father west. The important thing is to have one standard time year round. Daylight Saving Time is generally more popular, so that should be the year round time.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:51 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
We ought to be consistent with the rest of the world. For example, New York is 5 time zones west of London. So when it's 8:00 p.m. in London, it should be 3:00 p.m. in New York. This holds true when we're on Standard Time; but when we're on DST, it's 4:00 p.m. in New York when it's 8:00 p.m. in London.

For this reason, I would prefer to stay on Standard Time permanently.

However, I'm really sick of the whole time-change nonsense. So if we can only get a consensus around a permanent time if it's Daylight Saving Time, then so be it. Let's just pick one and be done with it.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:04 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Oh, for the sake of sanity, stop this nonsense. We cannot save daylight no matter what we do to the clocks.

Set the clocks where they're supposed to be and leave them there permanently. This switching back and forth in an attempt to "save daylight" is crazy.
Agree. Unless you happen to live on the Equator, days are shorter in winter and longer in summer no matter what anyone does to a clock. For part of the year you may have to get to work/school in the dark or go home in the dark. Deal with it.

For all you people whining about an hour's worth of change in daylight...you ain't seen nothin'...

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/kaktovik

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-21-2019 at 03:11 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 02:06 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Drop it. Having DST year round will have people going to work/school in the dark half the year in most of the country.

It's one of those things that sounds good in theory, but doesn't work in practice. Seasons happen. Get used to it, or move to Bolivia or something.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:08 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
Well it would definitely get dark early running standard time year round. Without DST, the sun would be setting in San Diego at 6:59PM during the summer solstice. Sunsets during the 6 o'clock hour throughout the entire San Diego summer doesn't sound very appealing to me. After work, I'd much prefer searching for seashells by the San Diego sea shore in daylight!
Me too. It stays light until 9:00 pm here in Kansas City in mid-June. I love that. Permanent daylight savings time would be wonderful.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
The states should decide, the feds should let them also. If the people of a state want it, then should allow. Different states have different desires for different reasons, Florida is not going to have the same reasons as Minnesota for example.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:20 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Me too. It stays light until 9:00 pm here in Kansas City in mid-June. I love that. Permanent daylight savings time would be wonderful.
But in December, you would still be dark a little after 6. Is that worth waking up before sunrise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events