Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 02:29 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
Kids waiting for the bus in the dark is a legitimate concern. But growing research suggest that school start times are too early in this country to begin with. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommend that schools should not begin class before 8:30 a.m. The concern that kids are waiting for the bus in darkness should be directed to school districts in this country who are starting classes before 8:30am, and who are not adhering to the American Academy of Pediatrics' recommendations.
In my part of the country most schools do start classes at around 8:30. But because we only have one district in the county many of them are getting on the bus in the dark anyway due to the distance they have to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 02:39 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,309 times
If there is a switch to permanent DST, then Indiana needs to switch to central time. Our sunrise much of the winter wouldn't be until after 9AM and that does not sound appealing, even if it does happen to be light until a bit after 6 PM. There are enough 2-hour delays now due to snow and ice to try to get daylight to help the situation. I can't imagine if we had to wait even another hour for the sun to rise.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:40 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
In my part of the country most schools do start classes at around 8:30. But because we only have one district in the county many of them are getting on the bus in the dark anyway due to the distance they have to travel.
People who grew up in the city and had all their schools in the same neighborhood have no idea what it's like for rural kids.

There are even a few entire counties here in Texas that either have no school district of their own, or only have an elementary school, and are busing kids from the sticks there to a town in the next county over.

I have a bit of a night-owlish nature myself, hardened further by jobs with odd hours, but I recognize that humans aren't naturally nocturnal animals, and the Circadian rhythm is really a thing. That's really why the time changes are hard on people to begin with.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:00 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I would like it to stay standard time year round. I like it when it gets dark early and hate it when it stays light late.
Same here, but I don't really care whether it's lighter or darker, earlier or later. It's because it's what's real. Let's never use DST again.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:08 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,339,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Don't care which way they go. Make it permanent or drop it all together, but pick one time and stick with it.
AMEN!!! Need to do that now!

Old 03-21-2019, 03:47 PM

497 posts, read 553,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
If there is a switch to permanent DST, then Indiana needs to switch to central time. Our sunrise much of the winter wouldn't be until after 9AM and that does not sound appealing, even if it does happen to be light until a bit after 6 PM. There are enough 2-hour delays now due to snow and ice to try to get daylight to help the situation. I can't imagine if we had to wait even another hour for the sun to rise.
Indiana wouldn't need to change time zones if they made daylight saving time permanent. Under the Uniform Time Act of 1966, states have the option to opt out of daylight saving time. So Indiana could join Arizona and Hawaii in observing year-round standard time. The beauty of making Daylight Saving Time permanent is that states would still have the option to opt out if they wanted to. The only thing the federal government would ensure by making DST permanent is that the biannual time changes go away... apart from that leave it in the states hands what time they want to observe (ie. year-round standard time or year-round DST).

Old 03-21-2019, 03:52 PM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
It’s just annoying and unnecessary. I vote to do away with it. Sorry Donald.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:00 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
People who grew up in the city and had all their schools in the same neighborhood have no idea what it's like for rural kids.

There are even a few entire counties here in Texas that either have no school district of their own, or only have an elementary school, and are busing kids from the sticks there to a town in the next county over.

I have a bit of a night-owlish nature myself, hardened further by jobs with odd hours, but I recognize that humans aren't naturally nocturnal animals, and the Circadian rhythm is really a thing. That's really why the time changes are hard on people to begin with.
Wouldn't it be a better solution for Texas to up their game education-wise or to have a better transport plan for children, than for the entire country to accommodate their deficiencies?

All schools are not in the same neighborhood as the students in a lot of places. I grew up in a suburban northeaster town, and we had a bus ride to school--probably 20 minutes. I don't think that is very good reason to keep daylight saving time.

It was not about school kids when it was begun--it was about saving energy. No longer applies. It was done for reasons not relevant now, like the electoral college. Time to update for the modern world.

Last edited by Enigma777; 03-21-2019 at 04:10 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 04:09 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Wouldn't it be a better solution be for Texas to up their game education-wise or to have a better transport plan for children, than for the entire country to accommodate their deficiencies?
That would involve forcibly relocating people into larger population centers.

I'm all about Texas upping its game in regards to education, but this is a total nonstarter.

For that matter, why should they accommodate your desire to have another hour of semi-sunlight in December, when chances are it's cold and you're probably inside anyway?

Old 03-21-2019, 04:12 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
That would involve forcibly relocating people into larger population centers.

I'm all about Texas upping its game in regards to education, but this is a total nonstarter.

For that matter, why should they accommodate your desire to have another hour of semi-sunlight in December, when chances are it's cold and you're probably inside anyway?
It messes with everyone's biology, even our pets. It's not about having another hour. But you are incorrect. I live in Florida--plenty of sunlight and we are not necessarily inside--it's very warm outside here. Even in the winter it does not get dark until 6:30. Up north it is more like 4:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events