Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 03:17 AM

37,805 posts, read 41,094,709 times

Advertisements

Do you think anything with peanuts should be banned at ballparks (by owners) because some people are allergic to them or should peanut allergic people just not go to ballparks?

Quote:
"This season, the Class AA affiliate (in Hartford, Connecticut) of the Colorado Rockies is becoming what's believed to be the one of the first professional sports venue to go completely – and permanently –peanut-free. Peanuts are one of the most common and deadliest allergies in the U.S, especially among children, like seven-year-old Henry Blakesley of Wrentham, Massachusetts."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...st/2846703002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 04:32 AM

11,889 posts, read 5,865,768 times
I do feel bad for people with these allergies but what did these people do 20 - 30 yrs ago when ballparks also served hot roasted peanuts - you got bags of nuts on the airplane - you visit a bar and they'd have a dish of Spanish peanuts to eat while having your beer?

I'm sick of accommodating those that are a small minority. My kids have allergies - we never expected others to change anything they did to accommodate them.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:34 AM

5,467 posts, read 6,101,957 times
It's the central theme of life in America over the past few decades.
Our neighbor has a severe peanut allergy and is constantly amazed that schools and other venues are announcing they are peanut free. The neighbor claims it is not societies job to monitor their peanut allergy, it is their job to monitor their own issues.
They claim they would not trust a school or other venue's claims of being peanut free. Accidents happen and public places that make such claims are only giving a false sense of security that the establishment is safe and they can let their guard down.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:24 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,585,884 times
It's only a matter of time before peanuts are banned world wide.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:56 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,494,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you think anything with peanuts should be banned at ballparks (by owners) because some people are allergic to them or should peanut allergic people just not go to ballparks?

Want to nip this nonsense in the bud? The solution is simple and within our power.

Don't buy tickets to the ballpark. Let those with the peanut allergies do that.

I guarantee they'll go back to selling those peanuts and Crackerjacks.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:04 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,343,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My first thought was that this some sort of liberal PC thing because they think the crackerjack name is somehow racist.

But if it's a peanut allergy thing I have no problem with it. I'll eat something else.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:56 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,061,953 times
Wow. What a hill to plant ya'lls flags on.

It's not like there isn't anything left to eat. The dang owners are allowed to sell whatever snacks they want, and make whatever business decisions they want.

But some of you act like this somehow infringes on your rights as Americans. I'm rolling my eyes here.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:02 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,400,067 times
That's like banning popcorn at movie theaters.

Quote:
Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd;
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back.
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win, it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
My first thought was that this some sort of liberal PC thing because they think the crackerjack name is somehow racist.

But if it's a peanut allergy thing I have no problem with it. I'll eat something else.
It comes as no surprise that you thought that. Such is the boogeyman that you see lurking behind every bush.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:29 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,315,461 times
The owners can do whatever they want. I don't care one way or another. Peanuts are a tradition, but they can introduce something else and make it a new tradition at their ballpark if they want.

As far as the general population, I have lost patience with being expected to cater to everyone. I'm not unsympathetic to the allergy, but the demanded accommodations have gone too far. It causes problems for me too. Diabetes runs in my family. It's difficult to find easily portable, diabetic friendly snacks. I get annoyed by being told to eat goldfish or pretzels instead of nuts when those foods are unhealthy for those with blood sugar issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events