Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,615 posts, read 17,940,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Timed tests sound like a horrible idea for a 2nd grader in principle.
Well, you need to be able to make calculations quickly if you are going to advance in math. A second grader who still has to count out on fingers or hashmarks with these kind of equations needs practice in speed.

On the other hand, it's hard to believe his speed is THAT far below expectation, considering how many he got correct, which is the end goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 10:27 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,358 times
We need to make school HARDER, not easier. It's time to stop coddling people, regardless of their age. That only leads to people not putting in the effort it takes to succeed.

And there's nothing wrong with a little shaming. It'll motive the child to preform better.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:56 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,615 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
We need to make school HARDER, not easier. It's time to stop coddling people, regardless of their age. That only leads to people not putting in the effort it takes to succeed.

And there's nothing wrong with a little shaming. It'll motive the child to preform better.
Yes, there is something wrong with shaming a child who, it appears, was making a real effort to do well.

You shame children who destroy property, harm others, or continuously refuse to put forth any effort at all.

There's no reason whatsoever to call this paper "pathetic", rather it shows effort on the child's part. And a lot of success, actually.

The most important thing a school can teach, in lower elementary, is a love for learning and a confidence that if they put in effort, they can master the material.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:26 AM

10,548 posts, read 7,743,046 times
It doesn't appear to me that the comments were directed at the kid, or even read by them, but rather the parent(s).

If that is the case, parent should have discussed with teacher and possibly principal because it certainly reflects an inappropriate attitude for an elementary grade teacher to have.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:03 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, you need to be able to make calculations quickly if you are going to advance in math. A second grader who still has to count out on fingers or hashmarks with these kind of equations needs practice in speed.

On the other hand, it's hard to believe his speed is THAT far below expectation, considering how many he got correct, which is the end goal.
The accuracy compared to the rate of the completion indicates a potential focusing or processing problem. Or the child may have used their fingers to count which indicates a memorization difficulty or lack of exposure to the material (maybe they’re new to the school or new to schooling). And that’s just me putting 30 seconds of thought into the student output- which appears to be more time than the teacher put into it.

There is obviously effort there to arrive at the correct answer. Given the teacher’s comments, I would not be surprised if the next paper was completed with random numbers and no attempt at actual computation.

Any teacher worth their salt would look at that paper and start infomally probing to see where the difficulty lies then provide remediation or refer for further testing. Those comments are just lazy and indicate frustration and/or an injured ego on the part of the teacher.

There is strong effort there with one answers being off by one digit and another answer was found using the wrong operation. I can work with effort, I can go a long way with a kiddo who is willing to put in the work. It’s a lot easier to teach skill deficits than to teach caring and hard work.

This just makes me so mad. Teachers are supposed to ignite sparks, not extinguish flames.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:07 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
It doesn't appear to me that the comments were directed at the kid, or even read by them, but rather the parent(s).

If that is the case, parent should have discussed with teacher and possibly principal because it certainly reflects an inappropriate attitude for an elementary grade teacher to have.

Yes, the teacher wrote in the third person--which was odd, because the student had to have seen it.

The issue is not whether or not the child was performing according to standards. The issue is the wording, and a teacher referring to a student's effort as "pathetic," is inappropriate.

And so is a parent perched on social media to carp about it, instead of addressing it with the teacher.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:14 PM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
A second grader is a baby. I’m not sure what second grade math should be like, but I’d like to think a teacher of young children would be encouraging, not shaming. I’m on the fathers side on this one, however he shouldn’t have put it on FB for all to see.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:13 AM

28 posts, read 17,115 times
There are 6yo 2nd graders. There are human beings with memory issues. There are human beings who simply take longer to complete tasks. There are kids whose brains aren't ready to excel at this type of work.

Then there are teachers who are very bad at what they do. This teacher has no business teaching.

I'm glad the dad put it on Facebook. Why shouldn't he?

Old 04-20-2019, 08:57 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
I don't think it was appropriate either. These things stick with you. I still remember the shame and embarrassment I felt when a 6th grade Social Studies teacher disparaged a project that I had worked hard on (but apparently she did not agree) in front of the class. I still remember the very large "D" she wrote, big enough to be seen desks away. I'm 57 now and this is still an awful memory for me. I was already an insecure kid with low self-esteem, and that certainly didn't help.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:48 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochness View Post
There are 6yo 2nd graders. There are human beings with memory issues. There are human beings who simply take longer to complete tasks. There are kids whose brains aren't ready to excel at this type of work.

Then there are teachers who are very bad at what they do. This teacher has no business teaching.

I'm glad the dad put it on Facebook. Why shouldn't he?
He shouldn’t, because it shames his child all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events