Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 08:42 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
School administrators contact the teacher and parent for a get together. That's how it works when one is professional.

And to top it off you make the absolutely hilarious point on how it's bad to shame the child but as far as the teacher is concerned the answer is to shame the teacher. And you say you're a special education teacher????
I don’t want speak for that poster but that’s not what I got from her post. While the teacher may have felt ashamed from the publicizing of this case, it is was not out there with the aim of shaming her but to have her made accountable. The posters Point was that it’s almost impossible to punish or remove a tenured teacher unless it’s made public, then the school will take action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 09:29 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup, as per usual post everything on social media first before contacting the people responsible for it. Social media shaming, whatever did people do in the past with no internet?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/peti...011213250.html
Your complaining about social media doesn't make sense. How else are we CityData.com'ers suppose to hear about these things if you weren't informing us on social media?

Old 04-25-2019, 11:25 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,768,572 times
lol @ 2019.

The outrage is definitely more concerning to me than the teacher stating that a 2nd grader who could only solve 13 simple subtraction problems in 3 minutes is pathetic. It is pathetic.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
there appears to be much more to the story than a mean teacher and a poor kid...

One, she sent some communication home at the beginning of the year saying the parents had to help the kids with math homework.

Two, again, here are the words typed by the father. While not math, it hurts the brain to see such pathetic writing skills, between word choice and total lack of punctuation. Nevermind the individual choice of how to spell a name:

Quote:
My son Kamdyn's teacher has been so rude to him and myself all year he comes home with this and I am beyond frustrated that someone would write this on a childs work such great motivation
Further, the dad, on LinkedIn, has "E-Learning Professional" as his occupation.

Certainly, if the teacher did this with the sole intention of harming the child in some way, she was wrong. Of course it would be horrible to tell a 7 year old 2nd grader they were pathetic

It sounds to me like there was a beef between the dad and the teacher going on all year. And that probably, at some point prior, she had told the Dad about the son's schoolwork, and the father had disagreed already.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:23 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Not the best statement to write but I am curious what the average rate of completion was and what the performance of this student is usually like. I wonder if mediocre is his normal operating mode??

Old 04-25-2019, 04:34 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Not the best statement to write but I am curious what the average rate of completion was and what the performance of this student is usually like. I wonder if mediocre is his normal operating mode??
I'm not sure what the average completion rate is either, but since there are 50 problems on the page, we can assume that some students get through all 50 problems, or there would be no point in having 50 questions on the page. If this kid was the low end, and at least one student answered all 50 problems, the average between the top student and the bottom would be 31. But since this kid's work was considered "pathetic" by the teacher, I'm guessing that his completion rate was abnormally low. So the class average would be above 31, maybe considerably above it.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
That teacher is pathetic.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:20 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well I must have been a more sensitive child than you because as I stated in my earlier post, I have never forgotten the shame from my Social Studies teacher insulting my project in front of the class. And it was not common to have your self esteem pummeled by teachers in my school, in the 70’s. She was the only one who did that. I remember the kindness also, of one teacher in particular, who saw the good in me and told me I was smart and could go far if I only believed in myself. That is the kind of teacher who helped me most, not the one who made me feel worse about myself than I already did. If a teacher can’t help a child succeed, a 7 year old no less, without shaming him, then she has no business calling herself a teacher
I've read many posts of yours that I didn't happen to agree with, but you are SPOT ON this time. Best post of the thread IMO.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:10 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
C'mon, we all know second grade teachers' brains aren't fully developed yet...

Old 04-30-2019, 02:00 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,215,272 times
For all we know she knows the kid better than the parents and the kid just isn't trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events