Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2019, 05:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
What are you talking about?

If you'd read the article or viewed the video, you'd know that she was in Jamaica. Hers was a flight from Jamaica, where she said she'd been vacationing, to Miami.

The entire flap started at the airport in Kingston.
I read that she was going to Miami from the Bahamas... Maybe some news sources consider Jamaica part of the Bahamas?

Either way, she was headed to Miami, and there was nothing wrong with what she was wearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 05:08 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,396,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Dr. of funk? Really? Wow...

She was on vacation. Who dresses professionally while on a beach vacation? I know I sure don't. What I wear on vacation has nothing to do with my abilities as a teacher, and I doubt it has anything to do with her abilities as a doctor.

It's gross that a woman's professionalism is judged by what we wear while on vacation.
I work in an upper middle class neighborhood and went to the grocery store there today. Not one person was in a romper, tube top, short shorts, or anything else they'd be ill-advised to bend over in. I do see a lot of ladies in rompers, tube tops, short shorts and the like at the store known around here as the ghetto Kroger.

When people present themselves as something they're not, then get butt-hurt when they're mistaken for the thing they appear to be, it's annoying. That's not part of this story, but I'm sure it's happened to Dr. Romper and I'm sure she blamed racism and sexism instead of the way she presents herself.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
She wasn't in Jamaica, so whatever etiquette some random link claims is irrelevant. She was headed to Miami. There is nothing wrong with wearing that in Florida. You will see plenty of people wearing much worse.
Well the flight crew thought it was unusual enough to single her out. They weren't doing it to everybody on the flight.

Anyway, that's why most people wear layers. She could have worn a jacket and taken it off when she was leaving the airport in Miami. If someone is flying from Anchorage to Honolulu in January are they going to show up at the airport wearing a Aloha shirt or a muumuu, and nothing else? If they do, they are going to get some pretty strange looks.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I work in an upper middle class neighborhood and went to the grocery store there today. Not one person was in a romper, tube top, short shorts, or anything else they'd be ill-advised to bend over in. I do see a lot of ladies in rompers, tube tops, short shorts and the like at the store known around here as the ghetto Kroger.
I saw a woman in a romper today at Target. It had spaghetti straps, but I don't think 2 little strings is suddenly going to make an outfit modest to those who think the doctor was dressed indecent.

I wouldn't have noticed her if it weren't for this story, and even then all I thought was "What's the big deal.."

But you wanting to call her "ghetto" and "Dr. Funk" explains what the actual problem is in her dress.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Anyway, that's why most people wear layers. She could have worn a jacket and taken it off when she was leaving the airport in Miami. If someone is flying from Anchorage to Honolulu in January are they going to show up at the airport wearing a Aloha shirt or a muumuu, and nothing else? If they do, they are going to get some pretty strange looks.
She was flying from one hot climate to another, so she was appropriately dressed for each location.

But yeah, if I'm flying somewhere with drastically different climates, I'm going to head to the airport in something that will be appropriate at my destination. I doubt most people wear muumus, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy in a Hawaiian shirt in January if he's going on vacation.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I read that she was going to Miami from the Bahamas... Maybe some news sources consider Jamaica part of the Bahamas?

Either way, she was headed to Miami, and there was nothing wrong with what she was wearing.
Quote:
Woman Required to Cover Up on American Airlines Flight Says Race Was a Factor

Dr. Tisha Rowe was about to fly from Jamaica to Miami when a flight attendant briefly removed her from the plane because of her romper, she said.
Woman Required to Cover Up on American Airlines Flight Says Race Was a Factor - The New York Times

Old 07-11-2019, 05:21 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,396,692 times
Quote:
I saw a woman in a romper today at Target. It had spaghetti straps, but I don't think 2 little strings is suddenly going to make an outfit modest to those who think the doctor was dressed indecent.
I never said she was dressed indecently. I said she didn't look like a doctor.

If you saw a man in a wife beater and sagging pants, would you think he looked like a doctor?

Old 07-11-2019, 05:26 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My SIL used to work for an airline and her family and friends got discounted Buddy Pass. My daughter used that once for her flight home on Spring Break.

She was wearing her College Hockey Team's Windsuit. It showed NOTHING. Not allowed on the plane. Inappropriate dress. She had a carry on bag with a pair of khaki pants, and a long sleeved button down shirt which she changed into. She was told "still not appropriate" but would let it slide "this" time. Huh????? What did they want? A dress, heels, hat, gloves, and pearls????

After this, we never used that Buddy Pass, or flew on that airline.

LOL Well, the airline you did end up using had the same policy, anyway, because they all do--for non-revenue "Pass" travelers.

The was a big stink a few years ago when some kids were not allowed to board because they were wearing leggings. Turns out, they were not "general" passengers, and their leggings were in violation of dress rules for "Pass" travelers, which prohibit spandex or form-fitting clothing.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:

Yes, you're right. There have been reports stating that she was in the Bahamas (even that article says that initially). But it then goes on to refer to Jamaica, as does her video.

As for her dress, I already said I think it was tacky, but it's none of my business if she wants to look like she just milked a cow, or like the Walmart shoppers who are frequently ridiculed here.

I do acknowledge that airlines may have an interest in the appearance of their clientele, but they had better be clear about what's not allowed, enforce it consistently, and back up their own staff when they attempt to do so.

As for this passenger claiming that this was racially motivated...pfffft.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
She was flying from one hot climate to another, so she was appropriately dressed for each location.

But yeah, if I'm flying somewhere with drastically different climates, I'm going to head to the airport in something that will be appropriate at my destination. I doubt most people wear muumus, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy in a Hawaiian shirt in January if he's going on vacation.
As has already been discussed, she was not dressed appropriately for Jamaica. In Jamaican culture it's expected that people be covered up from their shoulders to at least their knees. She wasn't even close. She obviously wasn't dressed appropriately for the flight, or the flight attendants would not have singled her out.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events