Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 11:56 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times

Advertisements

Again would there have been an incident at all if she was slim & trim?

It is true that some people have poor dietary & exercise habits but many also are just metabolically challenged. They're not being fatties deliberately, consciously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 12:20 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Again would there have been an incident at all if she was slim & trim?

It is true that some people have poor dietary & exercise habits but many also are just metabolically challenged. They're not being fatties deliberately, consciously.
She really isn't THAT big.... I don't find the outfit to be particularly ill-fitting.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:59 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
And you're point is? Oh because you live in some economic level, we all have to be mindless drones and dress like the Stepford wives??
Of course she is right. I live in an area bordering a half million avg house prices. I dont see anyone dressing like these here. People coming to the community pool dress better than that here.

I found that the difference between rich and not so rich have been reduced to two things in america : price of home and personal grooming including clothes. If you travel spirit and united you can note that difference ( even though both may pay the same amount to fly)

Some user said in this forum beautifully. You can be rich but class is optional.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Of course she is right. I live in an area bordering a half million avg house prices. I dont see anyone dressing like these here. People coming to the community pool dress better than that here.
It's not like $500K is an impressive home price in many parts of the country anymore. It's easy to spend $3-$5 million on a beach house where I live.

And the doctor's romper would have been unremarkable at beach or grocery store in my part of Florida with the big nice beach houses.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:19 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
She really isn't THAT big.... I don't find the outfit to be particularly ill-fitting.
I don't either. She's curvy, for sure, and the outfit is form fitting...but personally...I'm not seeing 'fat' at all. But hey, God forbid a woman show off her curves.

I remember, a couple of years back, a Muslim woman was harassed by a French policeman, on a beach, because she was TOO covered up.

Seriously, women are damned if we do, damned if we don't, whatever we choose to wear.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:28 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
I thought she looked fine. I also am wondering if her ‘racist’ comment was due to that many black women have a different body shape than white women do & she filled that romper out in a different way than a white woman might have, despite being the same size.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:46 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I thought she looked fine. I also am wondering if her ‘racist’ comment was due to that many black women have a different body shape than white women do & she filled that romper out in a different way than a white woman might have, despite being the same size.

I've already showed the picture of the white woman that was kicked out of a Golden Corral. She was about the same size and her outfit was about as tacky.

In either case, I doubt the self-serving selfies they posted online are exactly the way they looked when they were confronted. I just don't really think the business employees just happened to suddenly snap just on them for no reason.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:01 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
I think this whole story has been overblown from a "racial" aspect, but honestly, I can't see how what she was wearing got her kicked off the plane. She was traveling from the Caribbean to Miami (I think that's what I heard), so it makes sense she will not be wearing completely covering clothes. I just can't understand how the captain would be uncomfortable with what she was wearing.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:14 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I've already showed the picture of the white woman that was kicked out of a Golden Corral. She was about the same size and her outfit was about as tacky.

In either case, I doubt the self-serving selfies they posted online are exactly the way they looked when they were confronted. I just don't really think the business employees just happened to suddenly snap just on them for no reason.
Not the same size. One is extremely overweight/obese, the other is heavyset/"thick" and curvy.

Not as tacky either. One had "torn" denim shorts rolling up her crotch (by the looks of it, possibly exposing some under-ass too) with a plunging top struggling to hold her breasts, AND with her stomach hanging out (and this is after she most likely adjusted it for the selfie, so it's safe to assume it was worse prior) while the other wore a romper with a bottom the length of standard women's shorts (in Florida anyway) and an entirely covered chest area.

One looked like she was going to bed, the other looked like she was out in the sun in a tropical climate. In my opinion anyway.

That said, I have a hard time believing this was race-related. The only thing I can surmise here is exactly what a few others have brought up -- this was in Jamaica; different cultures. In Florida, no one would have batted an eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It's not like $500K is an impressive home price in many parts of the country anymore. It's easy to spend $3-$5 million on a beach house where I live.

And the doctor's romper would have been unremarkable at beach or grocery store in my part of Florida with the big nice beach houses.
Exactly.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:07 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times
Yeah I agree. The white woman looked really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events