Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 09:12 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm just picturing the physicians I've known all my life, who have treated me, my family, my kids. I can't NOT imagine them posting things on social media in a skimpy outfit whining that they were humiliated for wearing too little on a flight. I really CAN'T picture it, ANY of them doing that, and there are SO MANY doctors I've encountered.
That's exactly what I thought: this woman is a doctor? Doctor of funk, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
It's the type of outfit that could very quickly become indecent if she leaned over wrong or stretched a certain way and the top shifted. I'm sure she wasn't upright and posing throughout the whole thing.

Perhaps that kind of thing happened. Perhaps not.

I personally can't understand why someone would want to wear something like that, but obviously people have different tastes.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
She was flying from the Bahamas to Miami.

Normally I'd say you shouldn't have your a$$ hanging out of your drawers at that age and weight (no, this is not 'fat' shaming). However, on that flight, some of those inter island planes are so small, there isn't any air conditioning or you are up and down so quick the flight never cools off.

You'd think she would have more common sense.

Probably should not have worn it, not completely inappropriate but close.
Her "a$$" wasn't hanging out of her "drawers". She was completely covered up.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:51 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
The outfit looked like she was traveling from one beach destination to another.
I wouldn't wear it, but if it makes her feel good, it's fine.

There are too many judgmental people just dying to punish others for their choices. Lighten up and mind your own business.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:59 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Reading these comments I thought she was in a bikini. Wow the average age on this thread has got to be 80. Eye roll. Heaven forbid a professional go on vacation!

I see nothing wrong with her outfit. I’ve flown to Orlando a lot lately and this is pretty much what all of those who want to look hip and young while enduring extreme heat wear. It’s not my style but it’s not so bad I’d do a double take. Now the bras that masquerade as shirts on the other hand....

Old 07-10-2019, 10:06 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
I thought it a most unflattering outfit on her, and I wouldn't consider it appropriate clothing for plane travel on a svelte model. However, I wouldn't have complained. A person can look tacky if they want. Considering there's no telling what the temp will be on a plane, I would have a sweater on hand even when wearing something with short sleeves. I run hot, but I have been on some planes that have really had the air conditioning jacked up.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:10 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Reading these comments I thought she was in a bikini. Wow the average age on this thread has got to be 80. Eye roll. Heaven forbid a professional go on vacation!

I see nothing wrong with her outfit. I’ve flown to Orlando a lot lately and this is pretty much what all of those who want to look hip and young while enduring extreme heat wear. It’s not my style but it’s not so bad I’d do a double take. Now the bras that masquerade as shirts on the other hand....

In fact, it's clear you didn't bother reading the comments at all. If you had, you wouldn't be making derogatory comments such as, "the average age on this thread has got to be 80," when the vast majority of posts don't reflect that, and say, in effect, what YOU said-- that it's not our style, but...

Chuck your faux outrage. And you can stop rolling your eyes now.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is a discussion, metlakatla, so I did google it to see more about her. I guess when you post responses on threads, you don't bother to discover more of the story, you just kind of shoot from the hip with no extra information.

According to the article, the two flight attendants who took issue with how she was dressed were BOTH black, so I'm not sure why she feels like it was a race issue?

I'm just picturing the physicians I've known all my life, who have treated me, my family, my kids. I can't NOT imagine them posting things on social media in a skimpy outfit whining that they were humiliated for wearing too little on a flight. I really CAN'T picture it, ANY of them doing that, and there are SO MANY doctors I've encountered.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/10/u...-cover-up.html
My dentist posts vacation pictures on social media of him wearing a speedo at the beach. It doesn't make him any less of a doctor. I say good on you if you have the confidence to pull it off, and good on this doctor for being able to stand up for herself. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the outfit she was wearing. Her butt wasn't hanging out, and neither were her boobs. She was pretty covered up, minus the fact that her outfit was strapless.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
It's the type of outfit that could very quickly become indecent if she leaned over wrong or stretched a certain way and the top shifted. I'm sure she wasn't upright and posing throughout the whole thing.

Perhaps that kind of thing happened. Perhaps not.

I personally can't understand why someone would want to wear something like that, but obviously people have different tastes.
Yes, people have different taste in clothing. Just because you would not wear a strapless romper, does not make it indecent.

I could wear a sundress that went down to my knees, and it too would become indecent pretty quickly if I started bending over. There was nothing to indicate in the article that her top was falling down, so that shouldn't be an issue. Airlines shouldn't police people's outfits based on the "what ifs".

Old 07-10-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
That's exactly what I thought: this woman is a doctor? Doctor of funk, maybe?
Dr. of funk? Really? Wow...

She was on vacation. Who dresses professionally while on a beach vacation? I know I sure don't. What I wear on vacation has nothing to do with my abilities as a teacher, and I doubt it has anything to do with her abilities as a doctor.

It's gross that a woman's professionalism is judged by what we wear while on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events