Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 10:58 AM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times

Advertisements

Not an isolated situation the past years.

It is illegal in California to leave an animal unattended in a car when conditions may endanger it. It is also legal for citizens in California to break into a car to save an animal they believe is suffering.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-k9-found-dead

Quote:
A K-9 with the Long Beach Police Department died after being left in his handler’s department-issued vehicle, authorities said Friday.

The police dog, named Ozzy, and the officer were off-duty when the dog was found dead last week. The officer, whom the Police Department is not identifying, reported the dog’s death and an investigation is underway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 11:07 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,020,449 times
Reads like a failure of the K9 Car A/C and Alert System.

I see K9 Officers leave there K9 Partners in there cars all the Time, The AC (or heat) is running, If for some reason the car stops its suppose to set off the Horn/Siren and send a alert (text message) to the 911 center.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:08 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,090,016 times
Very sad indeed. This happens far to often. I don’t think this officer should be assigned another animal.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:11 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,393,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Very sad indeed. This happens far to often. I don’t think this officer should be assigned another animal.
He probably won't be. But then again, common sense doesn't always prevail when it comes to government entities.
So sad that this dog lost his life.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:24 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,020,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Odds are this is due to a failure with the K9 Alert System of some kind.

The Department has invested thousands of dollars training the officer to be a K9 Officer, should all that money/value be lost due to something outside the control of the officer?

Old 08-24-2019, 12:28 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,393,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

The Department has invested thousands of dollars training the officer to be a K9 Officer, should all that money/value be lost due to something outside the control of the officer?
You're forgetting the thousands of dollars spent on acquiring and training the dog itself. That could quite possibly be equal to, or more than, the cost of the officers handler training. What would be the cost- benefit of possibly losing another dog?

Edited to add: And I disagree that the dog dying in a hot car was "outside the control of the officer". It most certainly was under his control to prevent what happened.... it was his mistake that caused it in the first place. Part of his duty as a handler was to insure the safety, health, and well being of his K9. He clearly failed that responsibility.

Last edited by catdad7x; 08-24-2019 at 01:56 PM..

Old 08-24-2019, 06:27 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,090,016 times
I don’t think these dogs are checked up on enough. This continues to happen even with all these safeguards supposedly in effect. You can’t trust those devices. The officer needs to check on his dog then hourly or have another officer check the vehicle to see that it’s still operational with AC. I remember a case a few summers ago the officer was in an all day training and came out and the dog was dead from heatstroke. I think the dogs should be placed in their kennel then back at the department if it’s long periods of time the Officer will be gone . Then he can go pick up his partner when he’s finished with whatever it was that prevented him from being in his vehicle for hours on end.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:38 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,405,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not an isolated situation the past years.

It is illegal in California to leave an animal unattended in a car when conditions may endanger it. It is also legal for citizens in California to break into a car to save an animal they believe is suffering.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-k9-found-dead
Except it should be proven they citizens felt the animal was suffering vs. just using that explanation to justifying breaking into an automobile!

Old 08-25-2019, 04:55 AM

343 posts, read 353,965 times
Quote:

I'll leave a dog in a car and then claim it's death was outside of my control. Brilliant defense. Of course that defense will work for the almighty police officer.

For the rest of us, that exact same failure will get us convicted and jailed.

More money than that is spent on training a physician or an attorney. Maybe we should stop allowing police to arrest them or take their license away for any crimes they commit because, you know, all that money/value would be lost.

Yes. The Officer should never be allowed to handle another animal. Yes. The Officer should probably lose his job. And yes. In a perfect world he should probably be arrested and tried for the crime he committed. But hey, I am definitely asking for too much accountability of an all vital, godlike, officer of the law.

So lets aim for at least the loss of handler privileges as a bare minimum.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:48 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,715,089 times
Quote:
Reads like a failure of the K9 Car A/C and Alert System.

I see K9 Officers leave there K9 Partners in there cars all the Time, The AC (or heat) is running, If for some reason the car stops its suppose to set off the Horn/Siren and send a alert (text message) to the 911 center.
Reads like an LEO failure to me.

If someone falls asleep smoking a cigarette and burns down their house, would you say "Sounds like a failure of the fire alarm to me!"... ?

The alarm is a backup system. It does not absolve the human failure that lead to the danger in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events