Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 10:47 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,541,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In a shift from previous messages, Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Theresa Tam acknowledged Monday that Canada may no longer be able to contain and limit the virus if it continues to spread around the world. She said governments, businesses and individuals should prepare for an outbreak or pandemic.

“We are coming to similar conclusions,” agreed Dr. Vera Etches, the City of Ottawa’s top health officer, on Monday. “It looks like it is going to be more and more difficult to contain this virus and it may well evolve into a pandemic. That would change the efforts to contain every last case and contact.”

Etches said people can take steps now, at home and at work, to prepare. Some of those steps include stocking up on needed prescriptions ahead of time so there is no need to do so during a possible pandemic. She also recommended people stock up on non-perishable food. “Imagine if someone was ill for a week. What would you need?”

She said there are ongoing discussions about setting up an assessment centre outside of hospitals to reduce pressure on the health system
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...virus-pandemic

I’ve prepped. I figure it can’t hurt and everything I bought I would have eventually purchased anyway. I also went through my medicine cabinet and replaced anything that had expired. I don’t do that as often as I should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 03:29 AM

8,871 posts, read 8,461,053 times
Before the situation blew up in Italy I used to think countries that are a million miles away like Canada should be fine but now I'm not too sure.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:54 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,579,410 times
I will continue to bury my head in the sand

I need to be able to convince myself that I knew nothing of the danger so I can blame the government when it all goes wrong

signed

most people

Old 02-26-2020, 09:55 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,178,152 times
Honestly, I think this is blown out of proportion, and many people in the media and markets are benefiting from this. Yesterday Dow, S&P crashed because of this news - and I'm sure some short-sellers made a killing off of "disaster news" like this one.

Yes it is a SARS-like virus.
Yes you can get infected if you come in contact with a carrier.
Yes you'll may get sick and flu like symptoms.
Yes you may die (under 1% for healthy populations with no pre-existing conditions).

Pretty much like every other viral outbreak that we see annually. Every year the flu outbreak kills nearly 100,000 in North America - somehow I never see media reporting this "disaster". Yet, a corona outbreak in Italy that killed 7 (7 people with prior health conditions) out of a population of millions is catching headlines. Yes let's all panic.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Honestly, I think this is blown out of proportion, and many people in the media and markets are benefiting from this. Yesterday Dow, S&P crashed because of this news - and I'm sure some short-sellers made a killing off of "disaster news" like this one.

Yes it is a SARS-like virus.
Yes you can get infected if you come in contact with a carrier.
Yes you'll may get sick and flu like symptoms.
Yes you may die (under 1% for healthy populations with no pre-existing conditions).

Pretty much like every other viral outbreak that we see annually. Every year the flu outbreak kills nearly 100,000 in North America - somehow I never see media reporting this "disaster". Yet, a corona outbreak in Italy that killed 7 (7 people with prior health conditions) out of a population of millions is catching headlines. Yes let's all panic.
This poster’s response also seems to apply your post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/57433124-post82.html

*shrug* If you still don’t get it, then there is really nothing else to say.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:24 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,178,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
This poster’s response also seems to apply your post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/57433124-post82.html

*shrug* If you still don’t get it, then there is really nothing else to say.
Practice normal hygiene and use common sense. Wash hands regularly. Wash hands with soap and warm water. Wash hands for 15-20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer if there is no washing facility. Wash hands before eating. Wash hands before touching your face, nose, or eyes.

Did I mention hand washing?

Yes, common sense. The problem is, we are in 2020, and this simple message still hasn't sunk in for a good part of the population. I'm just amazed to see people walking in and out of public bathrooms not washing their hands, or just rinsing for 2 seconds like it's a painful chore.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Practice normal hygiene and use common sense. Wash hands regularly. Wash hands with soap and warm water. Wash hands for 15-20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer if there is no washing facility. Wash hands before eating. Wash hands before touching your face, nose, or eyes.

Did I mention hand washing?

Yes, common sense. The problem is, we are in 2020, and this simple message still hasn't sunk in for a good part of the population. I'm just amazed to see people walking in and out of public bathrooms not washing their hands, or just rinsing for 2 seconds like it's a painful chore.
Actually from what is known so far, the coronavirus is thought to spread primarily by droplets -- think coughs, sneezes, spit. The virus hitches a ride on the droplets. That’s why if there is a sick person and a healthy person and only one mask, the mask should go to the sick person. The mask might stop droplets from floating in the air. Early on in China I remember some medical staff were thought to have become infected through their eyes. They hadn’t been wearing eye protection from the droplets.

By the way, all the soap and water in the world won’t conjure up perhaps thousands of needed new respirators if a pandemic should occur.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:08 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,233,661 times
cdnirene, whereabouts are you in Canada? I'm from Vancouver where there's a large Asian population not to mention lots of Europeans and people from the Middle East. I'm scared as hell about all the fear-mongering the media is doing to the general population.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
cdnirene, whereabouts are you in Canada? I'm from Vancouver where there's a large Asian population not to mention lots of Europeans and people from the Middle East. I'm scared as hell about all the fear-mongering the media is doing to the general population.
I’m in Winnipeg. Actually I’m concerned, but not scared. But then, I’ve faced the probability of death not too far in the past. What I learned, is to focus on what is in one’s control and try not to dwell much on what isn’t. Sort of like the Serenity Prayer.

With respect to COVID-19, I try to stay very informed and have personally prepped at a reasonable level (stuff that I will use anyway). It’s very calming to take control of what you can rather than to wring your hands in fear and do nothing.

It may seem the media is fear-mongering but for too long authorities were downplaying the facts... until they couldn’t. Now is the time to plan at a national and community level, not after an explosion of cases. Hope for the best. Prepare for the Worst. You can’t do the planning in secrecy as so many people are involved. I do sincerely hope though that all the planning will turn out to have been a waste of time. To choose not to plan though is outright gambling with potentially thousands of people’s lives.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,582,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Before the situation blew up in Italy I used to think countries that are a million miles away like Canada should be fine but now I'm not too sure.
Since the 20th century, no country is really a million miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events