Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 10:26 PM

7,317 posts, read 9,365,499 times

Advertisements

I received an email the other day as a "Dear valued customer" from Canadian Tire saying they would be limiting hours at their Mark's and Sportschek stores while maintaining their Canadian Tire store hours.

The same day I also received an email from Galen Weston regarding Superstore and Shopper's Drugmart regarding the fact that no one needs to hoard anything, and the extra cleaning their stores are going through, and that their employees will be paid for any days they miss due to self quarantining.

I also received an email from my dentist saying they are cancelling all non emergency dental appointments and having reduced hours for dental emergencies only.

I think people are feeling their way through this and some places aren't sure how to react.

I decided I would wear a mask and gloves when visiting my parents regardless of hand washing and sanitizers. I'm not comfortable getting them stuff from the store and potentially exposing my mother to something her immune system can't handle. My city sisters have decided to stay away altogether until this is over. Although I'm not sure how that will work out since this could go on for quite a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 12:09 AM

3,634 posts, read 3,434,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The same day I also received an email from Galen Weston regarding Superstore and Shopper's Drugmart regarding the fact that no one needs to hoard anything....
This "do not hoard" message needs to get out there. As far as I am aware, while individuals are being encouraged to avoid large gatherings, supply lines to supermarkets and similar have not been disrupted, nor have they been cut off.

Tonight, my local Safeway had no toilet paper, no bread, few baked goods other than things like pies and cakes, and few of anything that comes in a can, including soup. The meat department was looking pretty sparse. Frozen foods had been obviously raided, but there was still enough of everything that anybody could want. Oddly enough, there appeared to be an overstock of bottled water, which always seems to be the first to disappear when hoarding occurs.

I'm reminded of FDR, who famously said, "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." And more recently, Douglas Adams, whose Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, told us, "Don't Panic." Hoarding indicates fear and panic. Let's neither fear, nor panic; let's just keep calm and carry on.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:40 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,083,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This is not bashing Americans, or calling you horrible. This is a health crisis, and YOUR country is many weeks behind most other countries in dealing with this. Your infection rates, and death rates are concerning, and are a concern with many here. Your testing is WAY behind, so the actual numbers aren't known.

Our own provincial government has this to say. So stop taking this personally, it's not a personal attack on the people of the US.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/03/16/B...ose-US-Border/
Seemingly everything you do up there you measure yourselves against Americans. The fact is, our country will have a massive response to this virus. To this point, nearly all testing has been conducted in areas with high concentrations, the State of Washington and parts of California and New York. The approach here has been to utilize resources in areas of greatest need rather than disperse them everywhere when most parts of the country have manifested few or no cases. Of confirmed cases, on a per capita basis Canada actually has more of them than USA. YOUR country is obsessed with how we do things here. Isn't that a bit strange?

Old 03-17-2020, 06:52 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,312,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Seemingly everything you do up there you measure yourselves against Americans. The fact is, our country will have a massive response to this virus. To this point, nearly all testing has been conducted in areas with high concentrations, the State of Washington and parts of California and New York. The approach here has been to utilize resources in areas of greatest need rather than disperse them everywhere when most parts of the country have manifested few or no cases. Of confirmed cases, on a per capita basis Canada actually has more of them than USA. YOUR country is obsessed with how we do things here. Isn't that a bit strange?
In all fairness Canada has more confirmed cases likely due to more complete testing. The US was a bit behind, possibly because the Administration wanted to downplay it. Naturally, the Democrats have made it seem as if it was the Black Plague. This is just part of election year politics and sadly par for the course.

However, much of the US is now going on 2 week lockdown, and my kids are out of school for at least 3 weeks while learning from home.

My brother, who lives on Vancouver Island and is a teacher, said that the message given locally was that the safest place for kids is in the schools and it's more of a pain to find childcare. They're now off for 2 weeks but I question that decision. I'm sure that will evolve over time.

To your last 2 sentences, as someone who lived the first half of my life in Canada and most of my second half in the US it is 100% true. To quote Pierre Trudeau in 1969 -

"Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt."

It is a huge fixation, and rightly so. The US is the most powerful nation and the biggest economy. 50% of Canada's trade is with the US. Many Canadians, such as BruSan, winter in the US and take advantage of what the US has to offer.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:22 AM

5,122 posts, read 2,067,945 times
Ygreck, a French-Canadian cartoonist did this editorial toon showing how Justin Trudeau deal with Covid-19 vs Quebec Premier, Francois Legault.
https://twitter.com/ygreck/status/1239631810536988672

Old 03-17-2020, 07:34 AM

7,692 posts, read 5,559,431 times
I learned a bit of good news this morning from a regular poster at another board I visit. The poster lives in Japan.

“According to papers here (Japan), an influenza drug Avigan (favipirvir) has been clinically used/tested in China for coronavirus patients. Today 17th March, the authorities there confirmed efficacy of Avigan and ordered to the Chinese licensee to produce this drug pronto.

I did a Google search and the news doesn’t seem to have appeared in English media yet. The drug was developed by Fuji Film Toyama Chemical and was approved by the authorities in Japan for unspecified type of influenza in 2013. It has never been used though and cannot be used by pregnant women.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:58 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,538,611 times
Quote:
So says the American most recently noted for comparing, in a critical manner, everything Canadian with everything American; in the Canada section no less.

So says an American while ignoring the number of threads generated over in the P&OC forum by Americans seeking to compare everything from our political leaders to our "so much for the great Canadian universal healthcare system".

Y'all are "seemingly" suffering some sort of universal inferiority complex because the bulk of you on these boards cannot seem to refrain comparing yourselves to every other country out there from Italy to Norway.

Strangely enough, as of today, those comparisons are all negative in assessment of the U.S. Golly.

You don't see anyone running for office in Canada comparing any policy they're touting to anything remotely American in origin such as we've all witnessed one of the leading contenders in the U.S. using Canada's healthcare system as both something to be admired and emulated. Go figure.

Poor darlings.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:09 AM

https://twitter.com/ShopprsDrugMart/...21382092722177
“Shoppers Drug Mart will also offer the 20% Seniors Day discount on regular priced items for the first hour each day every day. This is in addition to Seniors Days each Thursday.”

Old 03-17-2020, 10:01 AM

On Tuesday, Amazon told sellers in an email that it will only accept shipments of "household staples, medical supplies, and other high-demand products" to its warehouse until April 5 to deal with the high demand of those products amid the coronavirus crisis.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...ehouses-2020-3

Old 03-17-2020, 10:13 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,622,162 times
Quote:
Sigh.

This is a health crisis, and Canada borders the US. Have you been paying attention to the spread of the virus around the world, and how borders and restrictions are taking place?

It is only logical that Canada consider this with the US.

As for Canada having more per capita, we don't. We have as of today the same as you. However, the testing in Canada has been going on for weeks, and has been consistent. In other words, Canada has a better grasp on the number of cases than the US does at this moment where testing is sparse and not widespread. Canada has tested MORE people per capita, that the US.

Also for whatever reasons, the death rate in much higher in the US. Canada so far has 4, the US 68.

BruSan pointed out the irony of you accusing us with being obsessed with the US. This comes up from some Americans a lot. It's like Americans can't understand that people in other countries pay attention to other countries. I KNOW a lot of you are insular, but get your head out the sand, and take a look at the big wide world out there.

Markjames made some points about your size and influence. Wouldn't you find it odd, if Canadians DIDN'T pay attention as to what happens in the US? I mean, the UK does, Australia, does, the EU does, China does, Japan does. The whole world does. Consdering that Canada shares a very long border with the US when those other countries don't, it only makes sense that we pay attention, especially when you have a loose cannon in the White House.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-17-2020 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events