Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 10:48 AM

14,733 posts, read 15,217,029 times

Advertisements

The Prime Minister's important announcement to all Canadians is supposed to be made at 1 pm Eastern time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 11:28 AM

2,423 posts, read 1,618,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The Prime Minister's important announcement to all Canadians is supposed to be made at 1 pm Eastern time.
I am looking forward to seeing what socks he is wearing

Old 03-16-2020, 11:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,359,768 times
Border closed!

Old 03-16-2020, 01:16 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,081,617 times
Boss called yesterday and said don't come in tomorrow as the courts are closed and they're more or less closed until further notice. I'm a process server.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,680,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Border closed!
Except the USA, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Mistake IMO. Especially the US border. BC'ers are a little nervous having the hotspot of the virus in the US being Washington State, which has over 750 cases and still no adequate testing.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Might I suggest you cut back on the beer consumption prior to your walks …..
I just read that people over 60 shouldn't go to the grocery store. I may just lock myself in, and start with a

https://beerme.com/brewery.php?24002

and forget about my walks.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:54 PM

14,733 posts, read 15,217,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Except the USA, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Mistake IMO. Especially the US border. BC'ers are a little nervous having the hotspot of the virus in the US being Washington State, which has over 750 cases and still no adequate testing.
I tend to agree, I don't think there should be any recreational visitors from other North American countries be allowed to cross borders at this time, only people coming for important business and trade purposes. However, it's my understanding that any travelers visiting from those countries and planning to stay for recreational purposes will still have to self-isolate for two weeks upon their arrival in Canada.

Trudeau did explain the importance of the transportation of vital trade goods and the very closely aligned integration of businesses and economies between the North American countries being the reason for the exception. He also indicated that the North American exception was subject to change and that discussions were still underway between the North American countries' respective governments and health authorities and that reports to the public would be given daily about any changes.

So I guess we need to settle for that for now. But I'm still not happy about recreational visitors from North American countries coming into Canada and I think people who may come for recreational purposes are being selfish and inconsiderate. They should all stay home, just like all Canadians are being told to stay home. They won't be getting any welcome from me.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I tend to agree, I don't think there should be any recreational visitors from other North American countries be allowed to cross borders at this time, only people coming for important business and trade purposes. However, it's my understanding that any travelers visiting from those countries and planning to stay for recreational purposes will still have to self-isolate for two weeks upon their arrival in Canada.

Trudeau did explain the importance of the transportation of vital trade goods and the very closely aligned integration of businesses and economies between the North American countries being the reason for the exception. He also indicated that the North American exception was subject to change and that discussions were still underway between the North American countries' respective governments and health authorities and that reports to the public would be given daily about any changes.

So I guess we need to settle for that for now. But I'm still not happy about recreational visitors from North American countries coming into Canada and I think people who may come for recreational purposes are being selfish and inconsiderate. They should all stay home, just like all Canadians are being told to stay home. They won't be getting any welcome from me.

My fear is that recreation visitors, IE tourists, from the US who decided to visit, will not self isolate. The idea of sitting in a hotel room for two weeks won't happen. Especially if your trip is under two weeks.

We may regret this.

The mess that is happening in the US is just starting.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:29 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,403,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
My fear is that recreation visitors, IE tourists, from the US who decided to visit, will not self isolate. The idea of sitting in a hotel room for two weeks won't happen. Especially if your trip is under two weeks.

We may regret this.

The mess that is happening in the US is just starting.
Let’s make a deal.

We horrible Americans will cease visiting Canada with our viruses if you stop posting on C-D.

Self-isolate. Start today.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:01 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,582,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Let’s make a deal.

We horrible Americans will cease visiting Canada with our viruses if you stop posting on C-D.

Self-isolate. Start today.
I think you are being a little thin-skinned. Human nature is human nature. A Canadian visitor to the U.S. could very well act in the similar manner - but that’s not the subject of this thread.

By the way, I was reminded of this story which was posted yesterday on worldometers.info:
Quote:
Details have emerged regarding the latest 2 cases in Kauai: a couple who had traveled from Indiana arriving in Maui on March 2. Shortly after their arrival, one of the visitors developed a fever, shortness of breath and cough and went to an urgent care facility. On March 7, the second visitor also developed symptoms and went to urgent care. A day later, both of the visitors flew to Kauai, staying at the Kauai Marriott, and on March 9, one of the visitors visited again an urgent care facility. Finally, on March 12, the two informed health care workers that they had close contact with an individual who had tested positive for coronavirus. 2 health care workers in Maui and 1 in Kauai are now in self-isolation because they were not wearing protective equipment.
The couple appear to have lied to save their vacation. If they had been at home in Indiana, I doubt they would have lied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events