Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 08:24 AM

9,504 posts, read 10,887,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Good thing too:

Canadian snowbirds told to come home as some insurers warn medical insurance will be restricted

Canadian snowbirds told to come home as some insurers warn medical insurance will be restricted

Hurry home, and wishing you both a safe, quick trip.
Here in Tennessee there are few northerners or Canadians here. Usually I see them all the time on I 75. I have seen some Michigan and Ontario tags headed north....that is really all I’ve seen. It has to be scary right now to be far away from home with talk of closing US/Canadian border and rumors about travel restrictions within the United States. I heard one repeated the other day that Ohio will close its major 175 interstate to keep people out. That can’t be true but rumors like that frighten people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 08:45 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,626,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Good thing too:

i would consider staying in Florida if i were there, i am in good health and would risk not having the health coverage from Canada, the place we stay is quiet and safe i could easily avoid crowds and, whilst normally i would not do this i think given the uncertainty and "panic" currently seen in Ontario i would feel safer in Fla

better the devil you know

Old 03-18-2020, 09:51 AM

7,704 posts, read 5,592,014 times
Interesting comment:

Quote:
Within a city or town, epidemic diseases of this sort usually spread over a four to six week period, much like influenza, with a peak in the mid-period. A national curve has a similar profile, but may extend over more than three to six months without mitigation efforts.

At some point in the middle of the curve, the number of towns and cities around the country experiencing their outbreaks is at the maximum. This causes the peak in the national curve. However, the local outbreaks are likely to be spread out in time and space. For example, Red Deer, Alta., and Montreal may be hit early, followed by Vancouver, Hamilton, Ont., and Winnipeg a month or more later, and Toronto and St. John’s, N.L., a month after that.
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/opi...e-its-too-late

I studied the 1918 Pandemic several years ago, and that is what I remember happening in the U.S. then. However, I had dismissed it as being the pattern now. Our populations are much less rural and with planes, better highways and many more cars, we do a lot more long distance travelling. I guess we’ll see.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:03 AM

14,733 posts, read 15,243,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

Yup. Well I'm relieved about this, I'm guessing a lot of people on both sides of the border will feel a bit more secure after hearing this news. I guess the powers that be were paying attention to people's concerns and complaints. I think this will also effectively stop panic buying that was occurring because of cross border shoppers in towns on the two immediate sides of the border.

Confirmed 2 hours ago (without details yet):
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...vP1?li=AAggNb9

Quote:

We will be, by mutual consent, temporarily closing our Northern Border with Canada to non-essential traffic. Trade will not be affected. Details to follow!
- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 18, 2020

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-18-2020 at 10:12 AM..

Old 03-18-2020, 01:52 PM

7,319 posts, read 9,419,298 times
At this time, please remember the food banks in your area. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...anks-1.5500121

Old 03-19-2020, 10:40 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,484,729 times
We are up to 17 cases in Manitoba. 15 in Winnipeg and 2 outside of the city. 16 of these cases are related to people who had been travelling, they are not sure about one of them.

We are still having issues with some people not social distancings.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 03-19-2020 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-19-2020, 11:03 AM

7,319 posts, read 9,419,298 times
This is a very frivolous thing but my hair salon completely closed up shop for the foreseeable future. It had escaped my attention that my hair will be long and likely grey by the time this is over. I haven't seen my natural colour for close to 30 years.

And the banks have reduced hours.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:57 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,699,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
This is a very frivolous thing but my hair salon completely closed up shop for the foreseeable future. It had escaped my attention that my hair will be long and likely grey by the time this is over. I haven't seen my natural colour for close to 30 years.

And the banks have reduced hours.
This virus is making a lot of people realize what we take for granted. I got my haircut on Tuesday and was glad I did, since the barbershop was voluntarily shutting down the next day. Reduced hours at our grocery stores, special hours set aside for people who need assistance, a lot of people i know are making themselves available to shop for anyone who needs it.

it's is gratifying to see a lot of people stepping up, especially after seeing the hoarding side of society in regards to TP etc.

I also never thought I'd see the day a provincial health officer would become a star. Literally. Dr. Bonnie Henry daily briefings have endeared her to British Columbians. Her calm demeanour, her excellent way of explains things like single strand DNA, and what we know about Covid-19 made people feel someone intelligent and caring, especially the caring part, was in charge. A couple of Vancouverites even made a Youtube video of a song they wrote about her. LOL

Here's a clip. She is with Adrian Dix the provincial Health Minister. The ASL guy, is also getting a fan base, for his entertaining facial expressions. Weird times indeed.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6691983/b...sday-march-17/

Old 03-19-2020, 02:12 PM

7,704 posts, read 5,592,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
This is a very frivolous thing but my hair salon completely closed up shop for the foreseeable future. It had escaped my attention that my hair will be long and likely grey by the time this is over. I haven't seen my natural colour for close to 30 years
Buy a coloring kit from Amazon before they are snapped up. There are YouTube tutorials on how to color your hair at home. The result may not as good as with the hairdresser, but covering up the gray will be a morale booster.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,699,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Buy a coloring kit from Amazon before they are snapped up. There are YouTube tutorials on how to color your hair at home. The result may not as good as with the hairdresser, but covering up the gray will be a morale booster.
I like grey hair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events