Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 03:00 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Hope they lose lotttts of money.

Most average families can't even afford a trip to Disney it's such a ripoff, that's pathetic.
Well, they are losing lots of money. You don't need to hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yeah, there have definitely been changes (Toon Town is gone, Be Our Guest added, soon TRON, etc.) but you don't see a lot of major changes (at least not the same level as the other parks) because it's a park that relies heavily on tradition and sentimentality. A lot of what makes that park so magical for adults in particular is seeing your kids/grandkids experience the same things that you experienced two, three, or four decades ago.
I agree that Magic Kingdom hasn't changed as much as the other parks. It is one of the reasons it is not our #1 pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 03:11 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I agree that Magic Kingdom hasn't changed as much as the other parks. It is one of the reasons it is not our #1 pick.
LOL ... It's one of the reasons it IS my #1 pick.

What can I say? I'm sentimental.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Apparently you can now book tickets and accommodations in Disney theme parks in the US beginning June 1. That doesn't mean for sure they will open, but it certainly means they aren't for sure they'll be closed.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:38 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So you're response is that they shutdown the parks for good because the average family cannot go? That would devastate the Orlando area since it is built around tourism.
Of course not.

But Disney is so overpriced it's insulting.

It literally costs less for a family of four to do 2 weeks in Hawaii versus one week in Orlando at Disney. I know that for a fact...one of my bffs is Samoan and goes to Hawaii all the time. Her sister's kids haven't gone to Disney because the parents won't pay those prices. So they go to Hawaii all the time.

I asked my parents if it was a total ripoff when I was a kid in the 80s, they say it was a tad expensive but not a blatant swindle like it is now.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:44 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Not that I'm a fan of Disney parks, but I was shocked enough back in March when they closed "for a couple weeks." Unheard of at that time. Now they're saying they hope to reopen Jan 1, 2021.

Would you feel comfortable going if Covid has declined but is still circulating? I wonder what, if any, permanent changes they make.
Why would there be permanent changes made? This isn't going to on for the next 100 years you know.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:21 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And most major sports leagues canceled games before any state mandated shut downs. Did Disney too? I know people complained that Disney waited too late to shut down, but I feel like it was still before a lot a of other places. These billion dollar industries weren't opting to shut down on their own over a hoax. And they definitely wouldn't still be closed if it was all no big deal. Disney has never been closed for more than a few days. Even if they open up in June, that will still be almost 3 months since they closed.
Disney I believe closed immediately after California banned gatherings of 250 or more people.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Why would there be permanent changes made? This isn't going to on for the next 100 years you know.
No but it will affect how people behave, at least until they forget about all this. Which I think will be a long time for most people.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Financial analyst says Disney World could open by June 1st. Disney is accepting reservations for June 1st.

Disney World Could Open By June, Says One Analyst—and the Company Can Turn a Profit
https://www.barrons.com./articles/di...article_inline

Disney is putting in social distance markers at their security checks in Shanghai Disney Resort.

https://twitter.com/gourmetdyy/statu...88489001361408
I don't know what that guy is smoking, but it must be some good stuff. But I get where he is coming from. He is bullish. It doesn't matter how bad things are, he is bullish. The world could be ending in 5 minutes, and he would still be bullish to the end, trying to make a few dollars on the stocks in the last seconds.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblenbitz View Post
It would devastate the entire state of Florida.
That too. The point is that poster is complaining that Disney is overpriced.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:50 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That too. The point is that poster is complaining that Disney is overpriced.
I think so too. I think they're flagrantly greedy and I don't like them, and it wouldn't upset me to see them get knocked down a peg or two. But I also believe in the free-enterprise system. If people are willing to pay the obscene prices they charge, then so be it. No one is forced to visit a Disney park. And if people are irresponsible with their money and blow it on a Disney vacation instead of saving for their kid's college, that's not Disney's problem.

To the subject of the thread, we can be sure that Disney will not reopen before they are legally permitted to do so. After that, there will still be a host of issues for them to resolve. And there will be the question of whether guests will return in sufficient quantity to ensure their profitability. And so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events