Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2020, 05:17 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have no idea how anyone can claim at this point that there was no benefit to social distancing but that is this poster's opinion.
Had we not had stay at-home orders put n place, the amount of deaths would have been a lot more. We will see what happens when all these States reopen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 05:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
How do you know it won't happen? No one can say that for certain. They have said numerous times to expect a resurge. Not to mention there are still 2-3k U.S. deaths per day.
There will obviously be a resurge - as people begin moving around again, so will the virus.

What has NOT happened, is emergency rooms being overwhelmed by too many critically ill people needing hospitalization from Corona virus.

And that won't happen, as it's been shown.

The best medical models predicted the number of people in LA who were infected, but when they tested, the number was 40X larger than what the medical statisticians predicted. FORTY TIMES! That means, many, many more of us have it and are functioning and healthy, and people who become severely ill with this virus are a very small percentage of the infected.

Going in to this thing, second week of March, we didn't know and had to proceed very very cautiously.

Now we know. Very few people who contract this virus become ill.

We can't keep staying home, or it will ruin us all.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There will obviously be a resurge - as people begin moving around again, so will the virus.

What has NOT happened, is emergency rooms being overwhelmed by too many critically ill people needing hospitalization from Corona virus.

The best medical models predicted the number of people in LA who were infected, but when they tested, the number was 40X larger than what the medical statisticians predicted. FORTY TIMES! That means, many, many more of us have it and are functioning and healthy, and people who become severely ill with this virus are a very small percentage of the infected.

Going in to this thing, second week of March, we didn't know and had to proceed very very cautiously.

It can also mean that they had symptoms but couldn't get tested and recovered. They just weren't hospitalized. We can only comment largely on hospitalized cases since we didn't have doctors caring these "asymptomatic cases."

Old 04-29-2020, 05:44 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:

Yeah but let greedy a** Disney lose a lot of money, serves them right.

As someone else said, take them down a peg or two.

They should be ashamed of themselves for charging what they do...it really is disgusting.

A family of 4 just for tickets close to $500? Plus parking, ripoff food and drink, ripoff souvenirs, etc.

Every kid should be able to experience Disney if the parents are above deadbeat welfare level.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Yeah but let greedy a** Disney lose a lot of money, serves them right.

As someone else said, take them down a peg or two.

They should be ashamed of themselves for charging what they do...it really is disgusting.

A family of 4 just for tickets close to $500? Plus parking, ripoff food and drink, ripoff souvenirs, etc.

Every kid should be able to experience Disney if the parents are above deadbeat welfare level.
I love Disney but even back in the 1990's when it was far more affordable, I wouldn't call it a right. As much as I am a Disney fan, I went five years without a Disney park trip. Granted this was largely in my teenage years and as a male it isn't exactly apetizing to teenage males until you got Marvel and Star Wars fully rolled in...

Old 04-29-2020, 05:59 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I love Disney but even back in the 1990's when it was far more affordable, I wouldn't call it a right. As much as I am a Disney fan, I went five years without a Disney park trip. Granted this was largely in my teenage years and as a male it isn't exactly apetizing to teenage males until you got Marvel and Star Wars fully rolled in...
I didn't say it's a right, just that I feel it shouldn't be so unaffordable to take kids to Disney.

I've only been twice in my life at ages 7 and 14.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:34 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:

But it hasn't happened because 42 states were locked down, and the rest were partly locked down. Most experts have predicted that it will happen if we are not locked down. Reopening too soon is extremely risky.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:35 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
I, for one, will be very glad when Disney World reopens. I go every year and I want to continue my trips.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:13 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
So you think it's OK that about 6,000 people (more than half kids) get together for this cheer competition? Come to Florida from places like New York and Illinois that are major hot spots. There's no social distancing in cheerleading and it's not healthy to tumble with a mask on. But hey, it will help Florida's economy, so let's do it!
I'm so sorry CGab, I hadn't heard that the parks were opened again and your daughter's cheer trip was still on. I hope you can get your money back if you decide you don't want to chance it!

Old 04-29-2020, 09:26 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
But it hasn't happened because 42 states were locked down, and the rest were partly locked down. Most experts have predicted that it will happen if we are not locked down. Reopening too soon is extremely risky.
That has certainly been a factor in spreading new infections out over a period of time as opposed to all at once.

But when you realize 40X the number of us are likely infected than believed earlier, it changes things. The percentage of serious illness is tiny compared to the infection rate.

We can't spend our lives running from this virus. At some point, we have to step up and face it, and spread out that exposure as we've done now and continue to do, to ensure that hospitals aren't dealing with the ill all at once,
but rather, in metered doses.

The idea of shielding the population from exposure forever is absolutely impossible. Exposing people in stages is the way to do it. And that's what we're doing by removing restrictions a little at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events