Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 01:34 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,887,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Would you say the same if the teacher was a man and the 17 year old girl was your daughter?
Yep, I would be disappointed in my daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 03:23 AM

23,878 posts, read 33,601,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I agree with Javacoffee, 17 and 18 year olds are still basically kids, regardless of what the law might say. They are often immature and do dumb & risky things, especially adolescent boys.

There is also an element of responsibility here too. The teacher is an adult, she should be trying to teach young people, not take advantage of her position teaching to act like a sexual predator.

We seem to see a lot of these with the net. It blows my mind how common it seems to be even though these teachers lose their jobs, some go to jail, most are put on the Megan's law list. I'm surprised we don't have a master thread for teachers that have sex with their students...

You'd think that every school would hold an assembly at the beginning of the year to spell it out, tell the teachers exactly what kind of consequences they're facing. Show them the news articles so they can see actual proof. Are told what it will do to the rest of their lives because obviously a lot of these young teachers are smart enough to go to college, get their degree, land a teaching job, then do something stupid like this to eff up their lives and the lives of these kids or young adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they would probably feel the same way.

Well I'd feel the same way. One was 18, an adult. The other isn't that far away from being an adult plus legal in their state. You bet the "boys" bragged to their friends that they bagged the teacher.

We have members here that had sex with an older woman when they were a teen, they still brag about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Would you say the same if the teacher was a man and the 17 year old girl was your daughter?

I was seeing a guy that was 21 when I was 14. My father actually liked the guy. They couldn't stop me from seeing him.

Looking back, the guy had some serious issues, he had to to be seeing a 14 year old. He couldn't hide that he was interested in me. His "wood" used to make my friends LTFAO

Old 03-28-2021, 09:22 AM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't disagree but she still shouldn't be prosecuted. These 17 and 18 year old are not helpless and are just as "guilty" as the adult in this matter.
I am fine with a policy where a teacher can get fired for doing this. Just like if a business has rules against management dating their employees. There are plenty of people out there to hook up with that you don't have to deal with on a daily basis. Especially if the relationship goes south. One needs to have at least a little self control in their life.

That being said if everyone is above the age of consent I don't get how it is a felony or any sort of crime. To paraphrase South Park who had an episode of a similar nature. When the situation of a female teacher being with a male student was reported to the local police, the comment by the male police officer was the only crime here is that it did not happen to me when I was in school.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,269,560 times
There’s a difference between her being A teacher and having sex with a 17 and 18 year old and her being THEIR teacher.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:58 AM

3,278 posts, read 1,758,138 times
Not that I'm condoning this but I think this come from her misinterpretation of "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
She's simply not happy.
My real opinion.--------------------->
My private opinion------------------>
Why didn't this ever happen to me ?

Old 03-28-2021, 11:00 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,186,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
There were teachers doing it when I graduated school in the early 80's. My history teacher actually married his student. They're still married all these years later the last I heard.

Now it's illegal.

If the students were in fact 17 and 18 which is over their state consent law then the teacher should be fired but I don't agree with Megan's law because she could legally do it with guys their age that are not students at her school.

Personally I think it's disgusting and creepy for a woman her age to want a boy their ages. Yuck. Find a man unless you like teaching boys how to have sex.
I agree with everything you said. The law that should be on the books (don't know if it is in GA where this took place) and that she should be pleading guilty to is a teacher having sex with a student. There is an imbalance of power there that makes the student unable to consent, regardless of age. Are they consenting because they want to have sex with the teacher or are they consenting because they don't want to be failed?

Old 03-28-2021, 11:14 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,368,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I agree with everything you said. The law that should be on the books (don't know if it is in GA where this took place) and that she should be pleading guilty to is a teacher having sex with a student. There is an imbalance of power there that makes the student unable to consent, regardless of age. Are they consenting because they want to have sex with the teacher or are they consenting because they don't want to be failed?
i was seventeen and eighteen my senior year in high school but i had also completed army basic training and was a member of the active army reserves>|

drove the staff crazy i was also the smartest kid in the class

Old 03-28-2021, 11:16 AM

50,891 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
No, they're not. They're teenagers, and teenagers many times make wrong decisions. We expect it from them because they're still young. Teenagers are expected to test the waters and the boundaries.

The teacher is the authority figure with all the power. Control and decency must piggyback that power. Society needs to insist on it, not make excuses for her, and not to blame students with whom she sexually engages.
The problem is that they were of legal age. So from that perspective she should not be prosecuted, in my opinion. However, I think she should be prosecuted for having sex with her students or any students in her school.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
What’s next, teacher’s unions claiming their members have the right to prey on students?
You need to stop. I am not aware of any teacher union claiming that.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
College professors get away with it...why is high school any different?
First of all, there are college professors who do not "get away with it".

But the difference is the age of the student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events