Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 11:27 AM

30,655 posts, read 18,269,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
College professors get away with it...why is high school any different?
It is still frowned down upon and I'm pretty sure most if not all colleges have a rule where such relationships are prohibited where there is a supervisory relationship between professor and student; thus, a college professor could not date a student in his/her particular class. A general college professor who is not teaching a particular student does not have anywhere close to the same influence in the high school setting. Plus, college students are adults for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 11:52 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,657,949 times
Default My two cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I agree with everything you said. The law that should be on the books (don't know if it is in GA where this took place) and that she should be pleading guilty to is a teacher having sex with a student. There is an imbalance of power there that makes the student unable to consent, regardless of age. Are they consenting because they want to have sex with the teacher or are they consenting because they don't want to be failed?
I could have quoted several other posts but since this one suffices, I'll stop there.

I agree with you, Flyers Girl. I just need to add that there are federal laws and state laws. It is almost impossible to change a jurisdiction like that... perhaps just impossible. I am personally glad that states can govern over certain things in their state, rather than the federal government.

No matter the state or the age of consent, whatever, it seems to me that ALL schools, including colleges, should include clauses in their teacher contracts that it is forbidden to have physical relationships with ANY AGE STUDENT. The consequence would be dismissal...period. It should also state that if the child is under the legal age of consent in their state, they will also report it to the authorities (and those authorities can do whatever they want with that information). I'm thinkin' that those stipulations in the teachers' contract would solve the problem, though.

Even if it was a teacher with an adult student, they would need to transfer the student to another class or wait until they were no longer their teacher before they entered into any consensual relationship.

Oh...and even if the teacher was enticed by the student, they're still an adult... and an authority figure... as well as a representative for the school and as such, have certain responsibilities to the school and to their students. Let's face it... teachers like this make all teachers suspect and give their profession "a bad name".

Nowadays, I'm sure they also have laws regarding online education and this topic but if they don't, I can make some suggestions for that, too. LOL!

Young people don't have the same reasoning and communication skills as adults. When on the verge of adulthood, they often struggle with speaking up to authority figures, even when they look like or are young adults. Oh, the stories I could tell... if I had permission, of course!

Bottom line:

1. Schools need to protect themselves, their reputation and their students by making these things very clear in their contracts and then they need to enforce those things regardless of the circumstances.

2. This is an authority issue and teachers need to behave like responsible authority figures.

3. Kids will be kids, no matter their age... and you can't legislate that.

Believe it or not, I COULD say more...but I'll spare you the rest. If you read this far, thanks for sticking around to the end.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:00 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,887,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am fine with a policy where a teacher can get fired for doing this. Just like if a business has rules against management dating their employees. There are plenty of people out there to hook up with that you don't have to deal with on a daily basis. Especially if the relationship goes south. One needs to have at least a little self control in their life.

That being said if everyone is above the age of consent I don't get how it is a felony or any sort of crime. To paraphrase South Park who had an episode of a similar nature. When the situation of a female teacher being with a male student was reported to the local police, the comment by the male police officer was the only crime here is that it did not happen to me when I was in school.
Agree, but I think employees' personal lives shouldn't be any of the employer's business. If the employee's personal life is not causing significant problems at work and the employer just simply just knows about the personal life, the employer should not fire the employee and interfere with or dictate the employee's personal life.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:29 PM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Agree, but I think employees' personal lives shouldn't be any of the employer's business. If the employee's personal life is not causing significant problems at work and the employer just simply just knows about the personal life, the employer should not fire the employee and interfere with or dictate the employee's personal life.

If supervisors are dating the employees who work under them it can be the business of the employer. The company could be sued. You can have sexual harassment claims. Employees claiming they got fired or did not get a promotion because they said no to a supervisor or stopped seeing them. There are endless scenarios.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:49 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,854,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
age of consent in alabama is 16. so what crime did she commit? this looks like a gross abuse of her rights.

makes sense for the school to fire her though.
In theory if she wasn't a teacher would she have not been in any trouble?

Old 03-28-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I agree with Javacoffee, 17 and 18 year olds are still basically kids, regardless of what the law might say. They are often immature and do dumb & risky things, especially adolescent boys.

There is also an element of responsibility here too. The teacher is an adult, she should be trying to teach young people, not take advantage of her position teaching to act like a sexual predator.
Have you met anyone over 40 these days? I've met 14 year olds with more rational thought than some people in their 40s and 50s these days.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
i was seventeen and eighteen my senior year in high school but i had also completed army basic training and was a member of the active army reserves>|

drove the staff crazy i was also the smartest kid in the class
Had a buddy in high school who lived on his own once he turned 17. He came to school in the morning, worked a job in the afternoon, evening. Lived on his own, paid his own rent, etc... Faired better at age 17 then some "adults"

Old 03-28-2021, 02:10 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,730,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
How could she be?

Too many people think that anything they don't like should end up with someone locked in a cage.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:51 PM

30,655 posts, read 18,269,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
No. But folks talking about the age of consent law without going into the full extent of the law--which bans certain relationships such as this one--are exceedingly misleading at best. Indeed, the same law that concerns age of consent in Alabama, generally, also includes the following sections:

Quote:
Section 13A-6-81
School employee engaging in a sex act or deviant sexual intercourse with a student under the age of 19 years.

(a) A person commits the crime of a school employee engaging in a sex act or deviant sexual intercourse with a student under the age of 19 years if he or she is a school employee and engages in a sex act or deviant sexual intercourse with a student, regardless of whether the student is male or female. Consent is not a defense to a charge under this section.

(b) As used in this section, sex act means sexual intercourse with any penetration, however slight; emission is not required.

(c) As used in this section, deviant sexual intercourse means any act of sexual gratification between persons not married to each other involving the sex organs of one person and the mouth or anus of another.

(d) The crime of a school employee engaging in a sex act or deviant sexual intercourse with a student is a Class B felony.

(Act 2010-497, p. 766, §1.)
https://web.archive.org/web/20111004...5/13A-6-81.htm

And:

Quote:
Section 13A-6-82
School employee having sexual contact with a student under the age of 19 years

(a) A person commits the crime of a school employee having sexual contact with a student under the age of 19 years if he or she is a school employee and engaging in sexual contact with a student, regardless of whether the student is male or female. Consent is not a defense to a charge under this section.

(b) As used in this section, sexual contact means any touching of the sexual or other intimate parts of a student, done for the purpose of gratifying the sexual desire of either party. The term includes soliciting or harassing a student to perform a sex act.

(c) The crime of a school employee having sexual contact with a student is a Class A misdemeanor.

(Act 2010-497, p. 766, §2.)
https://web.archive.org/web/20111004...5/13A-6-82.htm

Old 03-28-2021, 03:43 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,984,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You need to stop. I am not aware of any teacher union claiming that.
Never said there was.

You need to stop making things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events