Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 08:33 AM

9,833 posts, read 4,623,002 times

Advertisements

3 years later. Hopefully the family/survivors have been able to move on somewhat. Actual justice hopefully will make things easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 07:11 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
A mother on Monday described a passenger in another vehicle smiling at her shortly before he fired the gunshot that killed her 6-year-old son during an apparent road rage confrontation on the 55 Freeway in Orange.

Joanna Cloonan, the mother of Aiden Leos, took the stand Monday in the second-degree murder trial of confessed gunman Marcus Anthony Eriz, who has acknowledged firing the gunshot that killed Leos while riding in a car driven by his girlfriend in the midst of morning rush hour traffic on May 21, 2021.

As a support dog sat at her feet in the Santa Ana courtroom, Cloonan described driving Aiden from their Costa Mesa home to Calvary Chapel Pre-School in Yorba Linda when the driver of a Volkswagen Gold SportWagen suddenly began “coming up quickly” behind her in the car pool lane of the northbound 55.

“It scared me,” Cloonan said. “They swerved...

Mother testifies 55 freeway shooter smiled at her before firing gunshot that killed 6-year-old boy:
https://www.ocregister.com/2024/01/2...-year-old-boy/

Old 01-25-2024, 06:41 PM

At his weeklong trial in Santa Ana, Marcus Eriz did not dispute that he fired the shot that killed Aiden Leos on May 21, 2021. The case came down to his degree of culpability, with his public defender arguing that he was guilty of a lesser charge of voluntary manslaughter.

Costa Mesa man convicted of murder in freeway shooting of 6-year-old:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-of-6-year-old

Old 01-26-2024, 12:34 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
From what I saw on the news, this guy target practiced all the time. A complete callous loser from the looks of the video. I don't understand why people gesture when they know so many more people are packing nowadays. AZ is a conceal carry state, so many people have guns with them in their cars and they do love to shoot them, doesn't matter when. When I moved there I was advised to never show the finger by my friend who had been living there for 20 years.
sad but true - you never know how crazy the person you are flipping off can be. Poor mom. I'm sure she feels so bad about that.

Old 01-28-2024, 06:42 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
sad but true - you never know how crazy the person you are flipping off can be. Poor mom. I'm sure she feels so bad about that.
What I found most ironic is he said he carried the gun because “people are crazy” on the road now.

Old 04-12-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
At his weeklong trial in Santa Ana, Marcus Eriz did not dispute that he fired the shot that killed Aiden Leos on May 21, 2021. The case came down to his degree of culpability, with his public defender arguing that he was guilty of a lesser charge of voluntary manslaughter.
Update on this crime: Man convicted in Aiden Leos freeway shooting sentenced to 40 years to life in prison:

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...rison/3386563/

Old 04-13-2024, 11:53 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Update on this crime: Man convicted in Aiden Leos freeway shooting sentenced to 40 years to life in prison:

Justice has been served. It's just a shame that Californians will have to pay for keeping this idiot alive in prison for so many years.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:22 AM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Yes, justice is being served, but wouldn't it have been much better for EVERYONE if the boy's mother hadn't felt it necessary to "give the middle finger" to some stranger in a nearby car? While it's true that the mother didn't commit any crime, her actions were indirectly responsible for her son's death.

I'm not excusing the actions of the shooter in any way. The shooter was wrong to do what he did, and he'll be paying for it for the next 40 years if he lives that long. I'm just saying the everyone should be a bit more aware of the crazies that are plentiful in our society and don't do anything to provoke them unless you are prepared to possibly engage them in a shootout or some such event.

Don't misunderstand my position by thinking that I'm against self-defense. That's certainly not the case. I'm just against taking provocative actions against unknown people who may take your actions extremely seriously and greatly escalate the situation.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:57 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
While it's true that the mother didn't commit any crime, her actions were indirectly responsible for her son's death.
What a sad commentary on society that anyone believes this is true.

Old 04-14-2024, 11:49 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Justice has been served. It's just a shame that Californians will have to pay for keeping this idiot alive in prison for so many years.
Yes, the real shame here is the taxpayers paying to keep this POS alive for the next forty years. This should have been a death penalty case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events