Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 08:41 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Strictly enforcing speed limits in construction zones where workers are right there on foot is not being 'heavy-handed'. It's just proper safety enforcement.
They need to stop with the speeding ticket nonsense and start giving tickets to cars blocking the left lane. Which is what likely caused this crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 09:39 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This is a local story even though I live 30 miles from the accident site. I've seen the video of the accident a hundred times and I still don't see the Acura changing lanes. Here is a YouTube, to me it appears that the white car was the one changing lanes. I had to stop this clip several times as it happened so fast, at the moment of impact the Acura was very close to the car to the right, which tells me she was still in her lane and it was the white car that had moved over. What do you all see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXIIUqb4Ucw
Still shot:

You can see the construction wall on the left of the white car. If you look just in front of them, there is a black mini van. That is the lane the Acura should have been in. The VW was already over to the far left lane, and was right next to the wall. The Acura is the one who moved from the lane behind the black mini van, and hit the VW (white car). The VW was nowhere near the other lane. It was very close to the wall. I watched it repeatedly in .25 speed. It is the Acura driver who changed lanes into the white VW, not the other way around.

Old 03-26-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Strictly enforcing speed limits in construction zones where workers are right there on foot is not being 'heavy-handed'. It's just proper safety enforcement.
I love how people don't read entire posts. What did I say? That people speed in those zones all the time. Why would that be? Because cops are not pulling them over.

But now...after hearing about this, cops will get heavy handed, and that is accurate, on anyone speeding even slightly over that lowered posted speed limit, unlike before where people never got stopped.

We have construction zones on a freeway right down the road from me. I use it all the time. The posted limit is 55mph. People go way faster than that, in that speed zone. I am talking 70+mph in the construction speed zone. Cops are right there with their lights, day and night. Even if they are there to bring attention to where the workers are, you never see other cops who could make a ton of money on speeding tickets ever around the area. You never see anyone pulled over. I drive all day long for my work. I use that stretch all day long. Back and forth. Day time, night time, weekdays, weekends...I have never seen anyone get pulled over, in the 3 years I've been here, in that construction zone. It's not a short construction zone, either. It goes on for miles.

So, yes, 'heavy handed' is the correct term. Right now, they do nothing. After this, if they have heard about it, which I'm sure most have, they will go after anyone who is going even 5mph over. And they will use this incident to inform the driver who was speeding, why they shouldn't be speeding.

Saying 'heavy handed' doesn't mean, 'they shouldn't be pulling people over', it means they are going to start coming down hard.

It shouldn't have been that difficult to understand.

Old 03-26-2023, 11:17 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
We have drones; we need to use them in conjunction with the speed cameras - to capture plates in aggressive and unsafe driving situations.

Huge fines and driving restrictions may help?

Old 03-26-2023, 11:53 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Still shot:

You can see the construction wall on the left of the white car. If you look just in front of them, there is a black mini van. That is the lane the Acura should have been in. The VW was already over to the far left lane, and was right next to the wall. The Acura is the one who moved from the lane behind the black mini van, and hit the VW (white car). The VW was nowhere near the other lane. It was very close to the wall. I watched it repeatedly in .25 speed. It is the Acura driver who changed lanes into the white VW, not the other way around.
Thanks for clarifying for me. The video was not blown up, I was not sure if the grey area was a jersey wall or another lane. The video does not show her changing lanes from behind the minivan to the lane where the white car was driving, at 20 MPH over the speed limit.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:10 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
[quote=catsmom21;65057623]
Quote:
This is a local story even though I live 30 miles from the accident site. I've seen the video of the accident a hundred times and I still don't see the Acura changing lanes. Here is a YouTube, to me it appears that the white car was the one changing lanes. I had to stop this clip several times as it happened so fast, at the moment of impact the Acura was very close to the car to the right, which tells me she was still in her lane and it was the white car that had moved over. What do you all see?

/quote]

What I see is the Acura pushing the white car into the median on the left as she moves into the left lane.
What I see is both cars entirely withinin the bounds of the left lane when the clip starts. What we don't know is how that came to be. I suspect some "competitiveness" if not road rage going on.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
The actions of the cars aside, that construction scene seems improperly arranged. The whole point of the concrete walls is to provide a physical barrier between traffic and workers. If they are going to work near a section that is unbarriered, then that construction vehicle should have been further down, blocking the entrance to the interior.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:08 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXIIUqb4Ucw
This is what I see and I stopped it frame by frame several time:

At the beginning of the clip, the Acura is already in the far left lane like right next to the white car. They both keep driving, the Acura moving closer and closer into the white car--like I'm watching it and I'm like how is that Acura not hitting the white car? And--How is it that the white car doesn't brake/slow down at all? Does the driver not realize that there's a car moving into him? I'm guessing the answer is that it happened all too fast and he didn't realize it?

Next I l see the Acura moving further and further into the lane of the white car. The white car plows on ahead until it appears to plow the Acura right up over into the Jersey barriers. I'm thinking--how does that white car even do that? Wouldn't the impact make it stop and crash? The fault is entirely, absolutely--from what I am seeing now--the Acura's. The driver goes right into the white car's lane. It appears from what I am seeing that the white car driver made no attempts to slow down or stop but appeared to just plow right on ahead until like I had described he plowed the Acura right up and over the Jersey barrier. Again, this is just what my eyes are seeing. I feel it must be that the white car driver did not have time to react.

Quote:
I love how people don't read entire posts. What did I say? That people speed in those zones all the time. Why would that be? Because cops are not pulling them over.

But now...after hearing about this, cops will get heavy handed, and that is accurate, on anyone speeding even slightly over that lowered posted speed limit, unlike before where people never got stopped.

We have construction zones on a freeway right down the road from me. I use it all the time. The posted limit is 55mph. People go way faster than that, in that speed zone. I am talking 70+mph in the construction speed zone. Cops are right there with their lights, day and night. Even if they are there to bring attention to where the workers are, you never see other cops who could make a ton of money on speeding tickets ever around the area. You never see anyone pulled over. I drive all day long for my work. I use that stretch all day long. Back and forth. Day time, night time, weekdays, weekends...I have never seen anyone get pulled over, in the 3 years I've been here, in that construction zone. It's not a short construction zone, either. It goes on for miles.

So, yes, 'heavy handed' is the correct term. Right now, they do nothing. After this, if they have heard about it, which I'm sure most have, they will go after anyone who is going even 5mph over. And they will use this incident to inform the driver who was speeding, why they shouldn't be speeding.

Saying 'heavy handed' doesn't mean, 'they shouldn't be pulling people over', it means they are going to start coming down hard.

It shouldn't have been that difficult to understand.
Entirely agree. I'm not sure where that other poster got the idea to reply the way he did to your post. I had that happen to me sometimes on here and I'm like, okay I see either the entire post was not read or reading comprehension skills are lacking.

Good thing I read this. I typically "keep up with traffic" and also in the work zones. But, I won't be doing that now (not in work zones). It's these people who don't keep up with traffic who aren't happy unless they're going at least 5 mph more than everyone else who contribute to accidents. I don't know how many times when I'm driving on the highway I see these drivers weave in and out of traffic trying to get ahead of everyone and we're *already* doing like 10 miles over; it's like geez--I can prophecy right now: an accident is in your future. I just hope you're the one that's killed or maimed and not some innocent person driving the way you're supposed to. And the slow drivers in the left lane. They need to get their stuff together to and realize where they are.

I just don't get these people that speed and weave (when traffic is already going at a good pace, like it's not slow or anything) I don't get how they don't realize that they're operating a dangerous piece of machinery. I have to imagine that they must be on meth or some other like drug.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 03-26-2023 at 07:23 PM..

Old 03-26-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying for me. The video was not blown up, I was not sure if the grey area was a jersey wall or another lane. The video does not show her changing lanes from behind the minivan to the lane where the white car was driving, at 20 MPH over the speed limit.
What I said: "I watched it repeatedly in .25 speed"

Point 25 speed. As in, on YouTube videos, you can slow the speed of the video down to be able to watch things that happen fast at normal speed.

I did not say that she was driving 20mph.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:50 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
What I said: "I watched it repeatedly in .25 speed"

Point 25 speed. As in, on YouTube videos, you can slow the speed of the video down to be able to watch things that happen fast at normal speed.

I did not say that she was driving 20mph.
Dave did not say that you said the car was driving 20 m.p.h. He said that it was driving 20 m.p.h. over the speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events