Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 09:43 AM

1,022 posts, read 528,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
It's also something that will turn a person.
Yeah, if you want to create a person that hates the govt, then life altering overly punitive charges for an admittedly dumb, but very minor offense is one way to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Any licensed drone owner knows all of this 100%.
They make drones purposely designed to fall out of the classification requiring "licensing", which entails training and testing to meet part 107 of the FAA regs on this. This is for the hobbyist that doesnt plan to make money with their drone.

I dont have, nor need, the license training to meet regs for legally operating my drone. There are many like me. What I didnt know was I cannot fly my drone in national parks, until I took my tiny drone to the Grand Canyon last September. There where signs EVERYWHERE. I left my drone in its case.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:12 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
In my mind there's three types of drone operators:

(1) Professionals with legitimate purpose
(2) People who want footage for social media to add spice to their vacation/hobby activity videos.
(3) Perverts who wanna check out people in various stages of undress/sexual activity.

I suspect that this guy fell into group (2). It was a stupid and illegal thing to do, but it would be shocking if the guy did hard time for something like this. Give him a year on probation or something.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:59 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
He should be punished but 4 years in jail would be life ruining and excessive considering his intention was just to get some pictures, nothing nefarious. It was stupid on his part but he did not mean to cause any harm.

How about a steep fine and 72 hours in jail that he can plan for and use his vacation leave so that he doesn't miss work.

Make it an expensive, pain in the neck for him but no need to go ballistic on him.
There is zero reason to think he’s going to get jail time. Four years is simply the max sentence that the charge carries.

Old 02-18-2024, 06:08 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There is zero reason to think he’s going to get jail time. Four years is simply the max sentence that the charge carries.
I'm not opposed to him spending some time in the pokey but it has to be proprotionate to the crime committed.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:10 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Leave it to the government to find news ways to regulate hobbies and make money off of them, yet they won't regulate housing costs and rent rates. Or who comes across the border. Priorities.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:28 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Leave it to the government to find news ways to regulate hobbies and make money off of them, yet they won't regulate housing costs and rent rates. Or who comes across the border. Priorities.
This has nothing to do with money. It’s about safety. They had a ban on flying drones within a certain radius of the stadium during the Super Bowl. You do know the Houthi’s are bombing us using drones, right? Police and Security can’t determine what drones are benign, and which ones aren’t. So, during very large events, such as this, or in certain places, such as over airports, they are banned.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:39 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,182,525 times
Why can't people use drones to help find animals in need on the streets. I sometimes question if one day law enforcement will have drones up high enough to find and track missing children too.

If I had one I would ask my local Police Station where it is not permitted to use.

I must watch to much TV to think of this. But really there are so many cameras on the streets, parks, beach now who knows if it isn't already being done.

Kind of reminds me of that old movie They Live.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Why can't people use drones to help find animals in need on the streets. I sometimes question if one day law enforcement will have drones up high enough to find and track missing children too.
Drones are indeed used to find missing animals and people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events