Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 08:33 AM

13,623 posts, read 10,024,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Prison sentence? Nah. Firing squad? Now we're talkin'.

This idiot put 100,000 people at risk. He needs to be removed from the gene pool.

Please, roll your eyes again
So, this was some kind of terminator drone?

I'm taking it you all know there are more kinds of drone than the military type?

I just hope no one gets excited waving a flag, you could blind millions, and then you have the majorettes! A dangerous lot they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 08:48 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
So, this was some kind of terminator drone?

I'm taking it you all know there are more kinds of drone than the military type?

I just hope no one gets excited waving a flag, you could blind millions, and then you have the majorettes! A dangerous lot they are.
The people there did not know what kind of drone it was. There should also be some kind of inducing panic charge.

I am sure a hobby drone could be weaponized.

Old 02-09-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The people there did not know what kind of drone it was. There should also be some kind of inducing panic charge.

I am sure a hobby drone could be weaponized.
Maybe, but, was it not someone that was just a little too enthusiastic about the game.

Are any drones allowed?

Old 02-09-2024, 09:29 AM

9,411 posts, read 11,156,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I'd love to know how they tracked that so quickly.
THEY are watching you.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:41 PM

20,369 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Don't assume it's general knowledge. I knew flying drones over airports, military bases, etc are forbidden, but never thought flying over a stadium was an issue.

Whether he knew the laws or not regarding flying drones should be taken into account when deciding how harsh is his punishment. It isn't the same to break a law while you knew the law exist vs breaking a law you never knew existed. If you knew it exist, chances are high you would had never break it, especially if you try to be law abidding regarding the laws that you know.

The first thing that everyone that buys a drone should do is investigate what are the laws regarding that where you live and where you intend to visit.

I used take a lot of street photography mostly in urban and suburban areas. While I haven't really done much of that in a few years, I could get back in the habit this year. One thing I was aware of was where you can take pictures without asking for permission (generally in parks and whatever is seen from a public sidewalk. This includes anything seen through the windows facing the street from a private house. So, whatever you do, don't do something stupid near the front windows of your house like being naked or even having sex while the curtain is closed but the silhouette is very clear from the outside, lol. You might think the inside of your home is private and it is, but whatever is seen from a public street or sidewalk isn't private per say. What is seen from the street generally is fair game. Minus military bases, etc are off limits even from the street). Knowing this is not just prudent, but sometimes (and this happened to me a few times) some security guard from some residential or commercial or mix complex comes out and says you can't take photos from that sidewalk in front of the building when in fact you can because the sidewalk is actually owned by the government. One thing I was also aware of is that many towns required you to get a permit at their town hall or city hall if you will be taking photos in any public sidewalk and/or park with a tripod, but if you are not taking photos with a tripod then you don't need a permit. Ok... lol
Personally I think that invading the privacy of a neighbor's home should be more severely punishable than grabbing image or video of some copyrighted enterprise.

But I don't mean what could be visible from the sidewalk. Yeah, that's common sense. I mean the drone operators who think it's fair game to fly their doohicky up to someone's 2nd or 3rd story townhouse window that you can NOT see in from the sidewalk, or over to a side of the home that faces forested land on their own property where no one SHOULD be able to see a damn thing.

When reasonable people have a reasonable expectation of privacy and some d-bag thinks he's within his rights to turn everybody's lives into a peep show because he's got a flying toy.

Reddit is full of drone users defending their right to park a drone outside your upstairs window, shining lights in or recording video if they feel like it, because "well legally you don't own the airspace above your house and the FAA says..."

One guy even asking what's the big deal about people wanting privacy, we walk past all kinds of Ring cams and security cams all the time...as if there is no difference.

I wonder if it's beyond a man's understanding that if video of a woman naked or heaven forbid doing anything sexual, shows up on the internet, she can lose her kids and her job...or is that the funny part? There was one case where a drone operator was shining bright lights in a house's windows while an old lady was trying to care for her husband who was dying of cancer. Hee-larious huh?

Just when I wish I could have one ounce of faith in humanity I swear to God

Old 02-09-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Personally I think that invading the privacy of a neighbor's home should be more severely punishable than grabbing image or video of some copyrighted enterprise.

But I don't mean what could be visible from the sidewalk. Yeah, that's common sense. I mean the drone operators who think it's fair game to fly their doohicky up to someone's 2nd or 3rd story townhouse window that you can NOT see in from the sidewalk, or over to a side of the home that faces forested land on their own property where no one SHOULD be able to see a damn thing.

When reasonable people have a reasonable expectation of privacy and some d-bag thinks he's within his rights to turn everybody's lives into a peep show because he's got a flying toy.

Reddit is full of drone users defending their right to park a drone outside your upstairs window, shining lights in or recording video if they feel like it, because "well legally you don't own the airspace above your house and the FAA says..."

One guy even asking what's the big deal about people wanting privacy, we walk past all kinds of Ring cams and security cams all the time...as if there is no difference.

I wonder if it's beyond a man's understanding that if video of a woman naked or heaven forbid doing anything sexual, shows up on the internet, she can lose her kids and her job...or is that the funny part? There was one case where a drone operator was shining bright lights in a house's windows while an old lady was trying to care for her husband who was dying of cancer. Hee-larious huh?

Just when I wish I could have one ounce of faith in humanity I swear to God
I've actually had that here. My wife said there was an owl with red eyes hovering outside her window. I told her, owls are silent, that's a drone.

It happened a couple of times, that we know of, but have no idea where it came from.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:13 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,174,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
If you're gonna mess with somebody's copyright protected business, probably best to make sure their pockets aren't quite as deep as the NFL's.
It's not about flying over a copyrighted NFL game. It's about basic safety (crashing, especially if several drones are flying over and running into each other) and the possibility of a drone being weaponized. Hobbist-type drones are being used in the Ukraine war.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
It's not about flying over a copyrighted NFL game. It's about basic safety (crashing, especially if several drones are flying over and running into each other) and the possibility of a drone being weaponized. Hobbist-type drones are being used in the Ukraine war.
It may well be, but did he do that. Just wait until that reasoning is extended to guns, and the reactions it will get.

Come to think about it, that's exactly how most guns are viewed here in the UK. Guilty until proven guilty.

I wonder how seriously this would have been taken if he'd not taken the pics.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:17 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,816,776 times
You don't fly a drone over people. Rule #1. Don't like it? Don't buy one. Sorry.

Old 02-10-2024, 01:35 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,576,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I've actually had that here. My wife said there was an owl with red eyes hovering outside her window. I told her, owls are silent, that's a drone.

It happened a couple of times, that we know of, but have no idea where it came from.
And this is why you need a nice 9mm Glock to shoot that pesky owl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events