Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 06:08 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times

Advertisements

Great job by the fire and rescue teams. I do hope they took their mandatory state law required lunch and rest breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 10:14 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Can any locals verify whether or not people actually pay attention to the speed limit on the bridge? Big old heavy truck and all... but at 35mph, it just seems like it wouldn't break through.

Old 03-02-2024, 10:30 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Can any locals verify whether or not people actually pay attention to the speed limit on the bridge? Big old heavy truck and all... but at 35mph, it just seems like it wouldn't break through.
Usually the traffic over the bridge is too heavy to speed. Though at that time of day they were probably averaging 50-60mph. My understanding is the truck was traveling in the northbound lanes, when an accident happened in the southbound lanes causing it to swerve. The lanes are very narrow and there is no divider between traffic it can snarl pretty bad. That’s obviously the worst accident I’ve seen on the bridge, but they aren’t uncommon.

Old 03-02-2024, 03:12 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Watched this rescue on TV as it happened. I hope you get to see it on a larger video on the news tonight. I have never seen anything like it. The big semi-truck crashed through the guardrail and dangled over the sides of the Clark Memorial Bridge. The bridge goes over the Ohio River. A first responder was lowered down to the truck to rescue the driver and together (not sure if the truck driver was conscious) they had to swing back to the other rescuers on the bridge until one grabbed them dangling from a cable or rope.

I believe, we the viewers, were watching from a camera in a helicopter. Here is part of the video and some still photos:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/driver-pu...ramatic-rescue

Then they had to cut to the boring trial in Georgia so no info about the rescuer, the driver, the accident.

It seems like the video was taken by either a helicopter or drone. I can't believe how steady the camera was. I bet that had to be the longest "few minutes" of the truckers life as he and his rescuer dangle from the line. It seemed like a lot of minutes went by while they were dangling but the reality is it was not as long as it seemed.

I've seen other rescues where a vehicle is hanging from a bridge or ledge. Getting into an accident on a bridge has been a fear of mine, especially if there are some crazy drivers cutting in and out of traffic. It's a huge miracle the driver was rescued.

I found another video of the rescue that also shows the truck being recovered. Truck recovery starts at 3:31:43; which may show as -7:30:28 on the live video slider. Note, I'm you tube illiterate. When I click on share, there's an option to start the video where I have it paused which is where I got the 3 minutes info lol I always have to go to the music section to find a thread with you tube videos so I can grab the code. It never works for me unless I do that.

LIVE | Truck hanging off bridge in Louisville, Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
God Bless First Responders

First responders are very special people, especially the ones who volunteer their time. These days a lot are paid.

My dad was on a rescue squad where we had our gas/service station business, from the early 70's until he retired in the 2000's. I remember when the jaws of life tool first came out. I have a picture of my dad being handed the tool by the mayor. Back then, it was the rescue squad that cut the cars open, not firemen which is who does it these days.

We had customers with cars that they wanted to junk. Instead of going to the junkyard, they got donated to the rescue squad to be used in drills which were done in the vacant lot, which was an old quarry, next to our station.

It is amazing how much rescues have changed just in the almost 50 years since the jaws of life tool came out. I'm sure that many lives were saved due to the many advances in the gear being used, various trainings responders get to be part of a team that specializes in accidents such as this. The vehicles used have also advanced a lot. In the video above that I posted, you can see the two massive tow trucks that were used to recover the big rig.

Old 03-02-2024, 04:36 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
The fireman who was lowered down credited the training they get--he said they've trained for scenarios similar to this a hundred times.

They used the fire engine ladder as a crane and helped the driver (a woman) into the harness.
https://youtu.be/pswdE7qoZrQ?si=LoWlEx0vchrq1Tbw&t=168

Old 03-02-2024, 06:26 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Usually the traffic over the bridge is too heavy to speed. Though at that time of day they were probably averaging 50-60mph. My understanding is the truck was traveling in the northbound lanes, when an accident happened in the southbound lanes causing it to swerve. The lanes are very narrow and there is no divider between traffic it can snarl pretty bad. That’s obviously the worst accident I’ve seen on the bridge, but they aren’t uncommon.

I grew up in the neighborhood, and never liked that bridge. I saw article that mentioned the 35MPH limit. Still can't wrap my head around the accident.

Old 03-03-2024, 06:36 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
They were able to extricate the truck from the bridge trusses by 9 last night. I was moving to a new condo in New Albany yesterday, and kept having to drive by the scene on I-64. It was pretty scary to see the first time we drove by, and realized a truck was dangling from the bridge. It was 80% off the bridge. The fifth wheel was the only thing keeping the cab attached to the trailer. It held strong enough to keep the cab from plunging into the river. I’m so glad they were able to rescue the driver. When we first saw it we didn’t think anyone had survived it.

A fifth wheel connection is pretty strong & one of the skills that you have to have is making that perfect connection when backing the cab to hook the trailer. You hear & feel a good, hard clunk.

BTW, the driver is female, which is more common these days, thank goodness.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:32 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I watched a few videos on this, so I don't remember the specific ones to link, but two things:

1. The motor vehicle accident occurred because one driver went into the oncoming lane. (I wonder if s/he was texting or if it was because of the rain conditions.)

2. The lanes were only 10 1/2 feet wide -- doesn't give much room, if any, for error.

I also wonder how long that will mess up traffic in that area.

And -- of course -- MAJOR kudos to the rescuer and the entire rescue team!

Old 03-03-2024, 08:50 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I also wonder how long that will mess up traffic in that area.
That bridge is the primary alternative to the I-65 toll bridges over the Ohio River. It's been closed all weekend for repairs. The 2 big interstate bridges about 500 ft from it are handling the additional capacity just fine. They are actually more convenient than the 2nd St. bridge that dumps into downtown Louisville (which has poorly managed traffic lights every 20 feet). Unfortunately I don't think Kentucky has suspended tolls while the bridge has been closed, which I have ethical gripes with lol.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:34 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
Just like something out of a movie. Amazing professional skills by the rescuers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events