Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 06:31 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times

Advertisements

People can sue for anything.

Collecting is another matter when drunk, high and plowing into a large object that you saw coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 06:54 AM

445 posts, read 281,410 times
Jesse James said before he died
There's five things I'd like to ride
A bicycle, tricycle, automobile
A UH-60 and a ferris wheel

Old 03-08-2024, 03:02 PM

206 posts, read 134,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
He's a loser by the sounds of it
But, he also needs a replacement snow machine.

If it was dusk / or into the sun / reflection / foggy googles (and mind) + super high speed, I can see how he missed seeing it. (parked longitudinally so he wasn't looking at a profile, just the tips of ailerons.)

Old 03-09-2024, 01:43 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I have a feeling the airport owner has realized the error and will prohibit anyone from using his/her property ever again. I guess they never considered the liability exposure allowing snowmobiler's to use their property. If you own property and someone gets hurt they WILL sue you no matter what the circumstances. Some shyster lawyer will take the case and at a minimum you are going to have to defend yourself in court.

I also wonder if the landowner has stopped allowing people to use/ride on his land. It wouldn't surprise me if other landowners also prohibit vehicles such as snow mobiles or ATV's

Old 03-09-2024, 11:20 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
IDK, it says the helicopter was camouflaged, and it was on a trail that was designated for snowmobiling. How was he supposed to see it? They could have illuminated it if they knew they were parking it in the middle of an active trail used by snowmobilers. He's had multiple surgeries so far.
The bigger issue is what would happen when the drunk who'd popped some pills came around the corner at over 60 and there was another snowmobile coming the other direction?

He'll probably get something but it won't be anywhere near 10M.

Old 03-14-2024, 02:13 AM

13,242 posts, read 7,290,839 times
This case will get dismissed under qualified immunity. The reason it's going public now is because the plaintiffs attorney wants to pressure the Government to settle the case. This is nothing more then wanting to make a quick buck. Snowmobiles are dangerous if you ride them unsafely.

Old 03-18-2024, 06:49 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,361,409 times
Like cars, the most common factors in accidents are speed and alcohol.

Crashing into something bigger than you are is never a good idea and mostly inexcusable.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:21 AM

29,446 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Many years ago, I was safety and compliance supervisor for a trucking company. I would be rich if I had a nickel for every time I had to patiently explain that fixed objects don't hit trucks; trucks hit fixed objects. If you clip a sign or the edge of a building with your truck, it's a chargeable accident; it's on you.

What kind of chucklehead drives a snowmobile in the woods in the dark? That's the first problem right there.
You're kidding right ? Night riding is probably much safer than riding during the day. One can see the lights from oncoming snowmobiles much easier, and theirs less traffic. The key, is to try not to out ride your headlights, which is so easy to do with the hp and speeds moderns sleds are capable of.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:28 AM

29,446 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The bigger issue is what would happen when the drunk who'd popped some pills came around the corner at over 60 and there was another snowmobile coming the other direction?

He'll probably get something but it won't be anywhere near 10M.
Exactly. Should the helicopter have had something, glow sticks or anything to help light it up, sure. The snowmobiler's mistake was drinking those beers , and the liquid courage that goes along with them. One must be ready for any type of obstacle when riding a snowmobile.

Many, many years ago, while riding the Western UP of MI, a buddy and I (no alcohol), riding side by side on a long straightway at night , got after it. We were probably doing 90ish when out of no where we see a locomotive off the side of the trail...a crossing in the middle of no where. Even the the locomotive had running lights, at 90mph, when one has tunnel vision there really weren't visible until it was too late. We both thought we bought the farm, but lucked out because it was just sitting there idling. We still talk about that incident, now 20 plus year later.
Like someone posted up thread, if someone screws up on a snowmobile, it is generally their own fault.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:17 AM

445 posts, read 281,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly. Should the helicopter have had something, glow sticks or anything to help light it up, sure.
LOL The helicopters were there on a training mission. Training missions train for war. They practice wartime activities, including light discipline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events