Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 07:57 AM

16,301 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

https://www.wcvb.com/article/man-who...ar95m/60109068

and is now suing the military for 10M

More incredible lawsuits where people can't seem to take responsibility for themselves or just accept that something is an accident. This guy was snowmobiling at night...and claims he didn't see a helicopter on the trail. This just seems questionable. The fact that the guy also had a few beers before the crash says a lot.

I hope he doesn't get 10M. I imagine he'll get something...but it's incredible what people sue for. What if it had just been a random person's car parked on the trail? He heard military helicopter and saw a big pay day.

Snowmobiling can be pretty dangerous. In MA just in the past few weeks two women were killed snowmobiling:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/massach...shire/46956579

https://www.boston25news.com/news/lo...HQQN45HBWC4QM/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 08:32 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Lets get the facts as far as we know:
Blackhawk military helicopter stopped dead in the middle of a clearing/path in the woods.
Man on snowmobile sees something black in front of him but cannot avoid it and injures himself.
Therefore he sues the military for 9.5 million dollars.

DUH, the helicopter wasn't moving..... it was STOPPED.

Reminds me of a great joke between a naval ship radio operator and another radioman:

Radio 1: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the north to avoid a collision.

Radio 2: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees.

Radio 1: This is the captain of a U.S. Navy ship. I say again, divert your course.

Radio 2: No, I say again, divert YOUR course.

Radio 1: This is an aircraft carrier of the U.S. Navy. We are a large warship. Divert your course now!

Radio 2: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:44 AM

16,301 posts, read 8,126,207 times
It doesn't sound to me like he has much of a case especially with beers at play. Snowmobiling is risky...he took that risk in the first place and is mad he hit something in the road he claims he didnt see? Sounds like he was very stupid and yes he could have died but it's his fault. Also sounds like he was in need of better lights on his snowmobile.

10M is just a laughable number to expect from this.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It doesn't sound to me like he has much of a case especially with beers at play. Snowmobiling is risky...he took that risk in the first place and is mad he hit something in the road he claims he didnt see? Sounds like he was very stupid and yes he could have died but it's his fault. Also sounds like he was in need of better lights on his snowmobile.

10M is just a laughable number to expect from this.
I think you are correct, he's probably looking for 100 or 200K bottom line.
He truly deserves ZERO, but lawsuits are easier to settle by tossing a little cash at it rather than tossing a large sum of cash at lawyers who are willing to drag it on in a court system that is complicit in allowing the farce to continue.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:38 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
IDK, it says the helicopter was camouflaged, and it was on a trail that was designated for snowmobiling. How was he supposed to see it? They could have illuminated it if they knew they were parking it in the middle of an active trail used by snowmobilers. He's had multiple surgeries so far.

Old 03-06-2024, 11:05 AM

Only ride as fast as conditions allow and always be in control of your vehicle...... bicycle, car, motorcycle, snowmobile, airplane, helicopter, whatever is mobile.

I've been on snowy trails and come across trees down with a night of snow on them...... very hard to see, but I've yet to hit one. Always in control, until you are not, then it's an accident and it's my fault, not the stationary object I hit.

Old 03-07-2024, 01:03 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Only ride as fast as conditions allow and always be in control of your vehicle...... bicycle, car, motorcycle, snowmobile, airplane, helicopter, whatever is mobile.

I've been on snowy trails and come across trees down with a night of snow on them...... very hard to see, but I've yet to hit one. Always in control, until you are not, then it's an accident and it's my fault, not the stationary object I hit.

Agree, there can be things on the trail for someone to hit, either due to them speeding, can't stop in time or things like snow covering a tree that fell.

Riding snow mobiles can be dangerous.

Quote:
I think you are correct, he's probably looking for 100 or 200K bottom line.
He truly deserves ZERO, but lawsuits are easier to settle by tossing a little cash at it rather than tossing a large sum of cash at lawyers who are willing to drag it on in a court system that is complicit in allowing the farce to continue.

He's already gotten money from the person that owns the land.

The article says he tested positive for prescription drugs and alcohol. We don't know if it played a part. It also says he may have been speeding, going over 65 MPH. Weird how his brother knew he was the one that crashed into the copter.

I do wonder how disabled he is, I wonder if someone is watching what he does.

I bet the landowner has banned everyone from using their property after this. I wonder if other landowners have also done the same. All it takes is one moron to ruin it for everyone else.

Quote:
Smith's lawyers in the yearslong court case argue that the crew of the Black Hawk helicopter that flew down from New York's Fort Drum for night training was negligent for parking a camouflaged 64-foot aircraft on a rarely used airfield also used by snowmobilers. Smith also sued the owner of Albert Farms airfield in Worthington, Massachusetts — accusing them of both giving permission to snowmobilers to use the trail and the Blackhawk crew to land in the same area. He settled with the farm owner for an undisclosed sum.

Smith argues that the crew didn't do enough to protect him, including failing to warn snowmobilers of the helicopter's presence on the trail, leaving the 14,500-pound (6,577-kilogram) aircraft unattended for a brief time and failing to illuminate it. The helicopter landed on an air strip approved by the Federal Aviation Administration and the crew members testified that trainings are often conducted in similar locations. But Smith, who said he had snowmobiled on the trail more than 100 times, said the last time an aircraft used it was decades ago when he was a child — and never a military aircraft.

They also argued that the court lacked jurisdiction and that the crew wasn't told that they were landing on a snowmobile trail. They also pushed back on claims they could have prevented the accident, saying there was nothing in their policies that required illuminating the helicopter. They also attempted to cast blame on Smith for the accident, claiming he was driving his sled more than 65 mph (105 kph) at the time the crash and that he had taken both prescription drugs and drank two beers before his ride.

Old 03-07-2024, 05:44 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Lets get the facts as far as we know:
Blackhawk military helicopter stopped dead in the middle of a clearing/path in the woods.
Man on snowmobile sees something black in front of him but cannot avoid it and injures himself.
Therefore he sues the military for 9.5 million dollars.

DUH, the helicopter wasn't moving..... it was STOPPED.

Reminds me of a great joke between a naval ship radio operator and another radioman:

Radio 1: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the north to avoid a collision.

Radio 2: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees.

Radio 1: This is the captain of a U.S. Navy ship. I say again, divert your course.

Radio 2: No, I say again, divert YOUR course.

Radio 1: This is an aircraft carrier of the U.S. Navy. We are a large warship. Divert your course now!

Radio 2: This is a lighthouse. Your call.
Many years ago, I was safety and compliance supervisor for a trucking company. I would be rich if I had a nickel for every time I had to patiently explain that fixed objects don't hit trucks; trucks hit fixed objects. If you clip a sign or the edge of a building with your truck, it's a chargeable accident; it's on you.

What kind of chucklehead drives a snowmobile in the woods in the dark? That's the first problem right there.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:20 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Story prompted a few synaptic tickles of 1) The movie, A Simple Plan
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120324/

2) The two teens night time hunting in Mena, Arkansas in 1987. At least he received some explanation for the Helicopter being there.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...2-boys-1987-d/

Old 03-07-2024, 08:25 AM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
It’s been reported that the helicopter landed on actual FAA approved airstrip that is also used by snowmobiles. How could the helicopter crew be in the wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events