Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 03:00 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think if you hear a baby screaming for days it's worth saying something? If someone IS there and the child can be heard by neighbors then the caregiver should probably be doing a better job at soothing the child...for the child's sake, their own and the neighbors. Overall it doesn't seem normal to me to hear a baby crying for days. So sad

We don't know that they heard the baby crying constantly. The Ring cameras outside picked it up but inside they probably didn't hear it. If they heard it sporadically when they went out for the mail or to the store, well no one would think much of that, babies cry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Not sure I follow that reasoning. If the ring camera OUTSIDE the unit heard the crying then the walls/construction wasn't that stout. So if the noise penetrated an exterior wall it had to penetrate interior walls to the side neighbors.

Maybe it was faint on the Ring audio, but was enough for the cops to make it out and use it in court. Maybe it was an elderly person next door who didn't feel well. Maybe the people next store play their TV loud or play music. There is no reason to start vilifying them when we have no idea of the construct of the neighborhood.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:07 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Society as a whole are too afraid of being involved.
And if some one does get involved they suffer liability for helping.
Every time I step in to a situation I weight this possibility.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:25 PM

7,724 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok, clearly the mother isn't a rational thinker. Maybe she believed the child could survive 10 days. Its not like she threw the child into a wood chipper or shot the kid in the head (no chance of survival).

If it was a violent instant death, no chance of survival then yeah you get the same (death penalty).

But if the mom is not all there upstairs, getting caged for life is fine.
There I must disagree with you. Let's say your premise is correct - the mom is not all there upstairs. Given this crime, I would much rather have her put to death.

Old 03-23-2024, 04:41 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Maybe it was faint on the Ring audio, but was enough for the cops to make it out and use it in court. Maybe it was an elderly person next door who didn't feel well. Maybe the people next store play their TV loud or play music. There is no reason to start vilifying them when we have no idea of the construct of the neighborhood.
Maybe the cops are adjusted to hearing things like that in their environment that others don't because "it's not their job". I work on a campus next to a wilderness district and after a few years, my nose can pick up the scent of deer and squirrels, maybe rabbits, automatically.

Just because some can "detect" something, doesn't mean all there can.

Old 03-23-2024, 05:58 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Just the sound of a crying baby might not be enough to investigate further, call police, family services etc.
What you do if the crying is incessant is call the local police and request a welfare check. At least in my neighborhood, they are happy to do it. The neighbor will never know who called and if there turns out not to be a problem, you will have peace of mind at least. If there IS a problem, you'll be forever glad you intervened.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:20 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
What you do if the crying is incessant is call the local police and request a welfare check. At least in my neighborhood, they are happy to do it. The neighbor will never know who called and if there turns out not to be a problem, you will have peace of mind at least. If there IS a problem, you'll be forever glad you intervened.
Can you guarantee that? What is your collateral if you are wrong? Long story short, a good deed never goes unpunished and there are plenty of bad people without limits to make that a truism. Think and feel for the risks one might be putting other people in for something they would do if they were there.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Can you guarantee that? What is your collateral if you are wrong? Long story short, a good deed never goes unpunished and there are plenty of bad people without limits to make that a truism. Think and feel for the risks one might be putting other people in for something they would do if they were there.
I don't live in a place where this level of paranoia is necessary. This is a quiet suburb, not an urban hellscape or the Wild West. I have called to request welfare checks twice and the police never even asked who is calling. Of course they can trace my phone number but they are not going to tell the person they are checking who it is who asked them to stop in. I'm just not worried about that.

If I lived next door to that incessantly crying child and had NOT called the police to check and see what was going on (after I'd been unable to reach anybody in the house next door, of course) I would never be able to live with myself.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't live in a place where this level of paranoia is necessary. This is a quiet suburb, not an urban hellscape or the Wild West. I have called to request welfare checks twice and the police never even asked who is calling. Of course they can trace my phone number but they are not going to tell the person they are checking who it is who asked them to stop in. I'm just not worried about that.

If I lived next door to that incessantly crying child and had NOT called the police to check and see what was going on (after I'd been unable to reach anybody in the house next door, of course) I would never be able to live with myself.
Again, you were assuming the neighbors heard the baby crying constantly we do not know that.

Old 03-24-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, you were assuming the neighbors heard the baby crying constantly we do not know that.
Of course, that is an unknown. But there are people on this thread who would refuse to get involved even if they did hear the crying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events