Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 02:06 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There's no indication any family members heard the baby, they didn't live with her or even their neighborhood as far as I am aware. It was neighbor's Ring cameras that recorded the baby's cries. But that also doesn't mean they heard the baby from inside their homes.
But apparently there were pictures of her on a beach (was this on social media that her parents and others saw) and no photos of the child with her. So if the parents saw these pictures and didn't ask where the child was knowing the mothers so called mental health problems did they not check it out. These are questions I would ask. Sad for the child that no one thought to at least call the police to do a welfare check. I mean the woman could have potentially died inside with the child screaming all day and night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 02:26 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
But apparently there were pictures of her on a beach (was this on social media that her parents and others saw) and no photos of the child with her. So if the parents saw these pictures and didn't ask where the child was knowing the mothers so called mental health problems did they not check it out. These are questions I would ask. Sad for the child that no one thought to at least call the police to do a welfare check. I mean the woman could have potentially died inside with the child screaming all day and night.

IDK if her parents even used social media. Maybe she told them someone was watching the baby?

Old 03-22-2024, 06:03 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
This kind of thing -- not this specific case -- but people having children who show virtually no caring or responsibility to them has been going on for centuries. There is a movie, Gone Baby Gone, which is a very realistic portrayal of such people.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:58 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
I assume maybe neighbors didn't intervene because they didn't know the situation and because it can be easy to bring down big consequences on someone unintentionally? I mean, maybe they didn't want to sic CPS on someone with a colicky baby or something. In hindsight, we know why this baby was crying so much. In the moment... maybe not. (I mean, if I had a dollar for every neighbor with a screaming-bloody-murder kid... but nothing was ever wrong, just a child who was never taught that "screaming as if Freddy Krueger just walked into your yard" is not for funsies.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
It's getting worse and worse with these people who should have never had children. This horrible woman goes along with the parents of that school shooter who totally neglected their kid so they could have a good time doing whatever they wanted. I don't know why birth control is so impossible to many people. If you don't want to take the time to parent a child then don't have any. It's really that simple.
I am always saying, this is why we need to get rid of this societal idea of "you must have kids" and "you'll change your mind when you have them," and all that. I mean, some people are simply stupid/selfish and would have them anyway, but some were probably the ones who thought they didn't want them but either had other people pressure them into it, or just always thought that "having kids is what you do."

I don't understand why there would be any sort of leeway or light sentencing for people like this woman, the woman who said she "accidentally" put her baby in the oven rather than the crib, etc. You don't do these things by accident or unknowingly. And if you do... then you're too stupid to live unsupervised and should be put away somewhere anyway.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:38 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I assume maybe neighbors didn't intervene because they didn't know the situation and because it can be easy to bring down big consequences on someone unintentionally? I mean, maybe they didn't want to sic CPS on someone with a colicky baby or something. In hindsight, we know why this baby was crying so much. In the moment... maybe not. (I mean, if I had a dollar for every neighbor with a screaming-bloody-murder kid... but nothing was ever wrong, just a child who was never taught that "screaming as if Freddy Krueger just walked into your yard" is not for funsies.)

I am always saying, this is why we need to get rid of this societal idea of "you must have kids" and "you'll change your mind when you have them," and all that. I mean, some people are simply stupid/selfish and would have them anyway, but some were probably the ones who thought they didn't want them but either had other people pressure them into it, or just always thought that "having kids is what you do."

I don't understand why there would be any sort of leeway or light sentencing for people like this woman, the woman who said she "accidentally" put her baby in the oven rather than the crib, etc. You don't do these things by accident or unknowingly. And if you do... then you're too stupid to live unsupervised and should be put away somewhere anyway.
This woman didn’t get any leeway, she got life without possibility of parole.

Old 03-23-2024, 07:22 AM

16,294 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I'm guessing this wasn't the best of neighborhoods given what a low life the mother is...probably filled with similar types of people who have little clue to life. So that's most likely why no one intervened.

Old 03-23-2024, 07:33 AM

9,833 posts, read 4,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I thought I read that...why didn't they intervene?
I see a lot of if stuff going on with younger parents including rarely opening the windows and blinds. I mean gorgeous sunny days, good temperature but they never or rarely open the blinds or windows. I get the privacy angle but it's like they don't want their kids to see the outside world. Yet their are families living in.a sub basement with open windows/shades. Same for neighbors across the street will tall ceiling high windows open.

That being said if I were to intervene I'd like to confirm something's wrong before I call authorities meaning was everything shut up. was the crying hours on end etc. Was there a car there or not there.

Old 03-23-2024, 07:51 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I see a lot of if stuff going on with younger parents including rarely opening the windows and blinds. I mean gorgeous sunny days, good temperature but they never or rarely open the blinds or windows. I get the privacy angle but it's like they don't want their kids to see the outside world. Yet their are families living in.a sub basement with open windows/shades. Same for neighbors across the street will tall ceiling high windows open.

That being said if I were to intervene I'd like to confirm something's wrong before I call authorities meaning was everything shut up. was the crying hours on end etc. Was there a car there or not there.
I haven't noticed this in my neighborhood, but i think in general kids go outside less than they once did. Unfortunately I think ipads, phones and computers dominate people (i have other things i could be doing now but here I am). I'm guessing some parents choose the screens over doing things with their kids...and plenty of kids have electronics themselves.

Not sure that has anything to do with this poor child. I wish the mother/monster chose to sit on an ipad rather than leave the country for 10 days leaving the child to fend for herself.

Old 03-23-2024, 07:54 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post

Well, this has made me think twice about not getting involved unless I knew or VERY strongly suspected something was wrong. Before this, I would be reluctant to call someone if I heard a screaming baby, but if I lived in a suburb or city and heard a child or an adult crying/screaming going on for more than an hour in the house or apartment next door, I think I would knock on the door.

And that is why I think publicity about these terrible stories is a good thing. If even one person sees a story like this and "knocks on a door" and saves even one person, it is worth it, imo. However, the danger is that some children might end up being removed from their parent(s) and end up in worse shape. I know it is a tough call -- although in cases such as these, how could any situation be worse?

Old 03-23-2024, 08:07 AM

I think if you hear a baby screaming for days it's worth saying something? If someone IS there and the child can be heard by neighbors then the caregiver should probably be doing a better job at soothing the child...for the child's sake, their own and the neighbors. Overall it doesn't seem normal to me to hear a baby crying for days. So sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events