Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
How many people, in an effort to be more "green", started riding a bike to school/work/shopping instead of driving a car??
It definitely wouldn't be practical. I have a 35 mile (one way) commute and the closest grocery store is more than 20 miles away. I suppose if there were good roads I *might* take a stab at it (if I had the time), but our narrow country roads don't even have shoulders and people drive like maniacs around here.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
A bicyclist on the road 3 to 5 times a week will go to the hospital or miss work three times every two years as a result of injury and will have the highest rate of fatality of any other cardio exercise.
I find that incredibly hard to believe. I biked to work and everywhere else for about three years every single day, in one of the most car-centric areas of the country, and not once did I go to the hospital or miss work because of it. In fact, I usually got sick less because I was in better shape, so I missed less work. So either I was remarkably lucky or every other cyclists is remarkably careless.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I find that incredibly hard to believe. I biked to work and everywhere else for about three years every single day, in one of the most car-centric areas of the country, and not once did I go to the hospital or miss work because of it. In fact, I usually got sick less because I was in better shape, so I missed less work. So either I was remarkably lucky or every other cyclists is remarkably careless.

Sport Injuries and Injury Statistics

The largest number of deaths were associated with head injuries while riding a bicycle. Most of these injuries resulted from accidents with motor vehicles due to heavy traffic, poor visibility, or failure to obey traffic regulations. Drowning while swimming was the next most common cause of death, followed by skiing accidents. Swimming where there is no lifeguard increases the risk of drowning if a person should get a cramp, or have some other serious problem. Deaths from skiing accidents occur because of the high speeds involved and the inability to maneuver to avoid obstacles like trees or rocks. Sonny Bono, of Sonny and Cher fame, died of injuries after hitting a tree while skiing near Lake Tahoe, California. His death came just days after Michael Kennedy, son of Robert F. Kennedy, died in a similar accident.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
It has been my experience that people who use a bike as their regular form of transportation have an unlimited number of rationalizations to justify the danger they face. Some people can make themselves believe anything.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:03 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
It has been my experience that people who use a bike as their regular form of transportation have lost their drivers license due to a DWI. LOL Seriously.

My brother is a very serious cyclist and has been for decades, and my son was for years. I know for them and many others it's just an enjoyable way to get some good exercise, but still when I see an adult riding a bike in town wearing street clothes, I figure he's lost his drivers license.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:16 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Or, you don't understand statistics, and do not realize that a sample size of one only demonstrates existence, and nothing more.

Look at the OP's chart of hospital admissions based upon sport....

My only comment is that I am glad that you are in good shape, so that hopefully you will heal faster when you get hit by a 4,000lb vehicle that didn't see you.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:59 AM

75 posts, read 121,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

Or, you don't understand statistics, and do not realize that a sample size of one only demonstrates existence, and nothing more.

FWIW, that chart displays estimated injuries based on a sample size of ~ 15,000 hospital admissions and roughly 50% of those injuries occur in the under age population who are a) presumably less experienced navigating roads and more willing to take unnecessary risk and b) less likely to use safety equipment. Also, the statistics do not differentiate between recreational riding (i.e., mountain biking and BMX) wherein risks may be part of the sport, and commuter, wherein risk is due more to driver error than cyclist error.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Quote:

My only comment is that I am glad that you are in good shape, so that hopefully you will heal faster when you get hit by a 4,000lb vehicle that didn't see you.
I know enough to understand that statistics don't account for everything, especially when they cover a much larger group of people than the one we're discussing. There are other variables that aren't being mentioned. For one thing, the statistics only show two years, 1991 and 1998. Secondly, it focuses mostly on baby boomers (at the time). Thirdly, it includes people in that particular age group who are cycling for exercise or sport, which is a much larger group than those who commute by bicycle, and, I'm willing to bet, not quite as skilled at riding in traffic as one who bike commutes daily. What percentage of the population bicycles for fun or exercise compared to the percentage that cycles for transportation? I'd be interested to find out. Also, it was the 1990s, which experienced a sort of mini bike-boom. Lots of people getting into cycling seriously (as a sport or exercise) after having not ridden a bicycle since they were children. And mountain biking had become HUGE, with cyclists trying more dangerous things than ever before, even though a lot of the technology hadn't caught up yet. So you have a group of riders, many who are around middle age and whose sense of vision and hearing aren't as good as they used to be, taking up cycling as a means of exercise or recreation after having not touched a bicycle since they were twelve.

It boils down to this: Who's more likely to have an accident that requires a trip to the emergency room?

1. The commuter who rides the same route daily and understands not only how to ride in traffic, but also how to avoid it altogether whenever possible.

2. The road warrior/wannabe racer who mostly rides on two lane roads outside of town in packs with his/her friends, who doesn't see a lot of traffic but probably as a result, also isn't accustomed to riding in it, but still occasionally must do just that.

3. The mountain biker, who rides among trees, rocks, logs, usually as quickly as possible.

4. The recreational cyclist who rides maybe once or twice a week during summer, still rides in traffic some but isn't even skilled enough to ride safely on a bike path half the time.

The first category is the one this thread is concerned with, and while it's the group which rides the most often, and in traffic the most, it's also the smallest group (by far) and the one which is most likely to contain riders who are skilled at riding in traffic.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:10 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:

Did anyone even notice what the stat is based on?

Bicycling - Feet caught in spokes, head injuries from falls, slipping while carrying bicycles, collisions with cars.

I would hardly equate "slipping while carrying a bike" with bike related injuries any more than slamming my hand in the trunk while loading golf clubs as to golf related injuries.

Feet caught in spokes I've never ever EVER heard of that one.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:12 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
I commuted 2 years by bike and never really had any close calls. I have however, had lots of them while training for races. Higher speeds and overall aggressive riding. The rider can still do a lot of things to put them in favor of not visiting an ER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling