Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the reason why most don't wear helmets?
Laziness/Apathy 29 16.96%
It looks daggy/'fashion' (i.e. don't want it to mess up hair) 40 23.39%
It's for sissies 35 20.47%
Convenience 16 9.36%
Other (specify) 51 29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:25 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times

Advertisements

Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge sells helmets for $10 and properly fits them. A newspaper article about this mentioned they were motivated by the head trauma cases they saw in the ER and wanted to do something about it.
It only takes 1 accident; and they are called accidents for a reason. The strangest things can cause a fall and even at very low speed, your head hitting a hard surface can cause serious pain. I don't care how hot or silly or inconvenient they are- no helmet, no bike, scooter, board or skis-PERIOD!! My kids health is more important than the inconveniences. A helmet is a lot less $ than an ER bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 05:09 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I always wear a helmet, even though they get too hot, they mess up my hair (I hate hats for the same reason), they don't always fit very good, and I like the feel of the wind in my hair.

We didn't wear helmets when I was growing up either, but I've seen many lives saved by helmets vs the horrible injuries &/or death as a result of being helmetless. So, I wear mine.
How many lives have you personally seen saved by a helmet?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:56 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
How many lives have you personally seen saved by a helmet?
I've seen just one saved ..... MY OWN.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
[mod cut: off topic]

- you can not wear a helmet, never get into an accident, and never have to worry about whether or not it might save your life, since - it won't, if you never get into an accident anyway.

[mod cut: off topic]

Last edited by elnina; 06-14-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 PM

Accidents are just that ... accidents.

They are not planned. You don't know when they will happen. They just do. And smart people are ready for it when it happens.

Most of my life I never wore helmets. And then around 8 years ago I read a story about a bicyclist getting killed on road I typically ride. They weren't wearing a helmet. The next week I bought a helmet, and wore it ever since.

Then a few years ago, a careless driver did something he shouldn't have done, which caused me to crash into his car. I never saw it coming. It all happened in an instant, and it was impossible to avoid.

This is why they are referred to as "accidents". It's when people do the unexpected, and it's out of your control.

Someone drives drunk. Someone is texting, and not paying attention. Someone makes a sudden turn without checking to see if it is clear first.

The only thing you can do is be ready for accidents before they happen. Otherwise, you could lose your life.

You might be one of the lucky ones, and live out your entire life and never get into a single accident. That would be great.

But all it takes is just one accident, and it could end your life forever.

Personally, I value my life, so I buckle up in my car. And I wear my helmet whenever I'm riding anywhere near cars.

As fate had it ... that article I read 8 years ago ultimately saved my life.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I've seen just one saved ..... MY OWN.
Yes, you have said that over and over again on this thread. I am well aware that you believe your personal experience should become the law of the land. I thought it would be interesting to hear from someone else for a change of pace, which is why I did not direct the question to you.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:45 AM

[mod cut: referring to post that has been deleted]

Experience has proven to me, UNDENIABLY, that I made the RIGHT CHOICE by wearing a helmet.

My accident was the result of a man who wasn't looking out for traffic (including people on bikes) when he made a careless maneuver with his car, which caused me to crash into it.

That helmet saved my life that day because after I hit the car I became unconscious, and my head slammed against the street when I fell from my bike. The marks on my helmet show where my head hit the ground.

I am trying to steer people into doing the right thing ... and you are making light of my accident.

That accident was the most traumatic event I ever experienced in my life. I suffered for months with a broken bone and other injuries.

<clip> I'm certain you've read this deleted statement by now. I don't even feel right keeping it in the post. That's the type of person I AM.

Last edited by elnina; 06-14-2012 at 02:49 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Yes, you have said that over and over again on this thread. I am well aware that you believe your personal experience should become the law of the land. I thought it would be interesting to hear from someone else for a change of pace, which is why I did not direct the question to you.
Sorry ... but I don't see where my post was directed specifically to you ... or anyone for that matter?

Are you the only one allowed to make comments in this thread?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:55 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Who cares?? If someone dies because they're not wearing a helmet that's on them.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Wearing a helmet should be a personal choice and sense of safety. Some city/states have laws about it - those should be observed: Bicycle Helmet Laws
In other countries with much longer history of bicycling and very dense traffic people ( kids too) drive bicycles every day and don't wear helmets. But we should not forget that in many of those countries 4+ wheel drivers have much higher driving skills, they know and observe traffic laws, and in overall show more courtesy and understanding towards other road users.

Here is an interesting article:
http://bicyclesafe.com/helmets.html

Last edited by elnina; 06-14-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling