Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:16 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
You're going to hate me for telling you this, but coffee dehydrates you. If you drink six oz. of coffee, you're supposed to drink 12 oz. to rehydrate and then your required water intake. BTW - required water intake is supposed to be 1/2 of your body weight in oz. Now, this was told to me by a nutritionist in AZ, so it could be higher for us since it's hotter here. Too little water can lead to all kinds of fun side effects like dizziness, nausea, headaches, and fatigue. Basically, I drink about half the water I'm supposed to, but I assume that we get more water than we think from foods (I hope).
Jco, half my body weight in water????????? I'd have to drag the Atlantic Ocean around with me. LOLLL.... well, almost, at the rate I'm beginning to expand lately.

Two little cups of coffee can do all that? I have to have my first cup, otherwise I can't stand the headache. The 2nd cup I could probably do without much easier. I don't drink cuban coffee either. These people (in Miami) stop at every corner and have a shot of that espresso stuff. It's ridiculous.

I'm making notes for Sept 8th!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 07:23 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Caffeine is a diuretic, so the more caffeine the more you will have to "go".

When I first started drinking water I was in the little girls room often. Then my body started to adjust. Now I have to go if I DON'T drink enough water.

My skin is better and I have more energy. I lost 60 pounds without changing anything, just adding 1/2 of my body weight in ounces of water daily (for those of you who do math like me, if you weigh 100 pounds drink 50 ounces of water).

Also, I have had trouble with kidney stones due to medication. I do NOT want to go through that again.

It was hard in the beginning, just drinking plain old water. I started out with Propel & Frutopia to get off of the bubbles, then it was easier to drink plain old water. The tap water here is NASTY so I buy spring water.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:26 PM

vpcats, have you tried decaf? My mother in law switched off of all caffeine about 3 years ago. She mixed her regular coffee with the decaf, slowly increasing the decaf and decreasing the regular. She made the transition smoothly and does not miss the caffeine. She drinks Sprite or an occasional root beer and decaf iced tea.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:34 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
evey
first it was the pop tarts
now I see you eat cheesesteaks like I do just roll meat & cheese
see lol I think we are long lost family

joc I have heard the water thing . I drink anywhere from 100oz to 120 oz of water a day
an since I don't weigh near 200#s I am doing ok .

vpcats I have found the colder the water is the better. When I decided that i was going to replace the immense amount of caffeine free diet pepsi I was drinking each day I started putting the bottles of water in the freezer till they were slushy. This really helps I find it no problem to drink it now.
you can also add some lemon juice for flavor. It took about a week till now I actually prefer the water well after my morning glass of the bubbles

ok kids did you know one sure way to tell if you are getting enough fluids during the day ?
By the color of your urine. ok no ewwwws seriously if you are drinking enough you should not be able to see any color.
I have always used this as a measure and had a "see I knew it " moment when Dr Oz on oprah said the same thing

dinner was another turkey but this time on foccaica (sp) bread sandwich
and more water

heading off to bed
see you all tomorrow

karla

Old 08-21-2007, 07:34 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
vpcats, have you tried decaf? My mother in law switched off of all caffeine about 3 years ago. She mixed her regular coffee with the decaf, slowly increasing the decaf and decreasing the regular. She made the transition smoothly and does not miss the caffeine. She drinks Sprite or an occasional root beer and decaf iced tea.
Good suggestion! Another thing that helps is to start weening in vitamin B for energy. It takes a couple weeks to kick in, but I've noticed an improvement.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:44 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
I don't have decaf anything. How do you wake up?

You're all giving me good ideas and I am going to start trying them.

Karla (with a K) my urine is pretty clear now as it is. ?????? I don't like real cold water too much. I actually drink it room temperature. When I drink it out of the fridge, I can only take little sips.

Am beginning to think I'm weirder than I thought.

Evey, I've seen patients with kidney stones (and my ex has them). I think that's about the only other pain that is worse than childbirth!
Do you drink cranberry juice?

Old 08-21-2007, 07:53 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times
I forgot to post the rest of what I ate today!

Pasta salad (tri-colored pasta, green and black olives, carrots, celery, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, sausage pieces, red and green bell peppers, parmesan, lima beans, oil, and vinegar)
Fish tacos (tilapia, seasoning, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, wheat tortillas)
Mexican rice
More water
Coffee (I know, I know)
Real watermelon slushie (very tasty)
doughnut (I know, I know... my last day before my new restrictions!)

Old 08-21-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Evey, I've seen patients with kidney stones (and my ex has them). I think that's about the only other pain that is worse than childbirth!
Do you drink cranberry juice?
Blech! I mean, no I don't particularly care for cranberry juice. I do drink a lot of orange juice, when I remember to buy it. There is an enzyme in o.j. that helps keep stones from forming.

I also drink my water room temp. I have found that I have more energy and really don't miss the caffeine.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:17 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,555 times
I am getting here late as well..needed to balance my checkbook!!
Breakfast..cereal
no lunch
dinner...tuna sandwich and a salad
coffee and water 3 pieces of licorish
I have a hard time drinking alot of water. I am never thirsty except when I am working out. Hope you all had a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals