Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:53 PM

9 posts, read 61,363 times

Advertisements

My family and I are leaving Long Island, NY which is a huge beach community. We are 15 minutes from the ocean and vacation at the beach every year. We are moving to Frisco within the next few weeks. Are there any beaches or lakes close by? Can you swim in these waters? Any information is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:20 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,187 times
There is a lake "beach" in Little Elm. Not sure what it's like, but I'm taking the kids next week so I'll get back to you.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
You can swim in Lake Lewisville but it's not exactly desireable. The water is a murky brown and the lake isn't exactly known for its cleanliness.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:42 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Google maps is much easier to find than this site--
why not just Google up your Frisco address and check the map?

Frisco is in the middle of what used to be cotton-fields and ranches turned into subdivisons and shopping malls...and raw land waiting for the same thing--
the map shows some small bodies of water scattered around that I was not really aware of from just driving through there so I think they are probably private lakes

the large body of water to the east of Frisco is Lake Lewisville...
the one west of that is Lake Grapevine
the one east of Frisco/McKinney is Lake Lavon
the one to the NW is Lake Ray Roberts
Lake Kiowa to the NW is a private lake not open to public

swim beaches for state parks
TPWD: Swimming in State Parks

Corps of Engineer controlled lakes/swimming areas
http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/vis...y.cfm?State=TX

each of those lakes has at least one area with a swim beach that is in public space--but these lakes are not going to have water quality like the ocean...
in dry months the water level could be down quite a bit

Regional Park (http://www.cityoflewisville.com/wcmsite/publishing.nsf/Content/Lake+Park - broken link)
Camping in Lake Lewisville, Texas | Travel Tips - USATODAY.com
Town of Little Elm, TX - Official Website - Little Elm Park
Grapevine Review and Rating
Collin Park RV Resort & Marina - Campground and recreation area on beautiful Lake Lavon near Wylie, Texas (http://www.collinpark.com/collinpark.htm - broken link)

although this post if from 2007--I think it might still be appropriate any time there has been quite a bit of rainfall in the area--it is about Lake Lavon
Swimming in Lake Lavon? - Mamapedia™
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Swimming Areas

Old 07-25-2010, 07:22 AM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Google maps is much easier to find than this site--
why not just Google up your Frisco address and check the map?

Frisco is in the middle of what used to be cotton-fields and ranches turned into subdivisons and shopping malls...and raw land waiting for the same thing--
the map shows some small bodies of water scattered around that I was not really aware of from just driving through there so I think they are probably private lakes

the large body of water to the east of Frisco is Lake Lewisville...
the one west of that is Lake Grapevine
the one east of Frisco/McKinney is Lake Lavon
the one to the NW is Lake Ray Roberts
Lake Kiowa to the NW is a private lake not open to public

swim beaches for state parks
TPWD: Swimming in State Parks

Corps of Engineer controlled lakes/swimming areas
http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/states-activity.cfm?State=TX (broken link)

each of those lakes has at least one area with a swim beach that is in public space--but these lakes are not going to have water quality like the ocean...
in dry months the water level could be down quite a bit

Regional Park (http://www.cityoflewisville.com/wcmsite/publishing.nsf/Content/Lake+Park - broken link)
Camping in Lake Lewisville, Texas | Travel Tips - USATODAY.com
Town of Little Elm, TX - Official Website - Little Elm Park
Grapevine Review and Rating
Collin Park RV Resort & Marina - Campground and recreation area on beautiful Lake Lavon near Wylie, Texas (http://www.collinpark.com/collinpark.htm - broken link)

although this post if from 2007--I think it might still be appropriate any time there has been quite a bit of rainfall in the area--it is about Lake Lavon
Swimming in Lake Lavon? - Mamapediaâ„¢
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Swimming Areas
are you sure about those directions?

Old 07-25-2010, 08:32 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
lake ray Roberts is very clean and nice. Lake texoma is a great lake especially if you have a boat. The nicest lake in the area is about an hour away and its called Lake Murray in Oklahoma. It has clear water and very nice scenery. I recommend you get a boat if you want to enjoy the lakes. Yeah there are beaches but they are not that great.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:01 AM

81 posts, read 212,702 times
Honestly, my wife and I are from CT and this is one of the biggest adjustments we've had to make. The lake scene will not replicate what you are used to near the ocean.

Utilize the lakes for watersports, boating, etc. If you want to swim, find a pool.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:46 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
rantanamo--what directions

are you talking about the general lake directions--
I think they are correct in that they are general direction from Frisco--
which ones are wrong?

Old 07-25-2010, 01:19 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
rantanamo--what directions

are you talking about the general lake directions--
I think they are correct in that they are general direction from Frisco--
which ones are wrong?
This one is wrong:

"the large body of water to the east of Frisco is Lake Lewisville..."

It is actually WEST of Frisco.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:41 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
I would rather swim in a lake than the northern atlantic. Im not a fan of beaches anywhere north of the middle of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas